The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 25, 2013, 07:29 PM   #1
TonyAZ

Ruger Security Six vs GP100

I'd like get another Ruger DA revolver, this time 6". I have a 4" SS Security Six and am delighted with it. Should I try to find a good Security Six, or is the currently produced and supported GP100 a better bet? Is there any real difference in quality or finish of the two?
Old January 25, 2013, 08:28 PM   #2
GP100man

To me the finish is`nt as refined on the GPs (in most instances), but the design is a bit more robust & alot easier to work on the GPs.

If I were to use it as a range gun the GP gets the nod ,for woods bumming & occasinal range trip ,as it`s a bit liter.

Personally, I like muzzle heavy revolvers so the underlugged GPs reside in my safe.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:57 PM   #3
Deaf Smith

I like both of mine!

Speed Six a bit lighter and GP able to take more heavy loads.

Deaf
Old January 25, 2013, 11:16 PM   #4
Dan-O

GP triggers are easier to smooth and lighten up. Yet, I still love my 2.75" Six.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:27 AM   #5
skidder

Quote:
I'd like get another Ruger DA revolver, this time 6"
I went looking for a GP at the last gunshow, but they wanted $150 more than the Security Six. I understand the GP was brand new, but I just couldn't justify the price difference so I brought home the Six. I've been waiting for a used GP to surface, but so far... no cigar .
I really like my Six and don't regret the purchase, but I already have 3 sixes and 0 GPs. One of these days....I'll find my GP .

Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old January 26, 2013, 12:22 PM   #6
blfuller

The GP's have the cylinder locking at the front and rear that will probably over time prove to be more robust and accurate. If you can afford the GP, I'd go that route. Either are a well made revolver that'll probably outlast the owner.
Old January 26, 2013, 07:54 PM   #7
roaddog28

Quote:
I went looking for a GP at the last gunshow, but they wanted $150 more than the Security Six. I understand the GP was brand new, but I just couldn't justify the price difference so I brought home the Six. I've been waiting for a used GP to surface, but so far... no cigar .
I really like my Six and don't regret the purchase, but I already have 3 sixes and 0 GPs. One of these days....I'll find my GP .
Tony, if this decision was mine I would pick the Security Six 6 inch any day over the GP100. If you handle both you will find the Security Six is not as muzzle heavy. That is because of the half lug design. I never like the GP100 6 inch with of the full underlug. You might find a used GP100 6 inch with the half lug barrel design. Ruger only made them a few years. The Security Six is more than strong enough to shoot magnums. If would mostly likely out last you.
Good luck,
Howard
Old January 26, 2013, 09:02 PM   #8
Hammerhead

SS's are better looking and better finished, but GP100 have a more consistent, smoother DA trigger pull. SA pull is very good. The SS's seem to have a heavy spot in the middle of the DA pull.
I shoot my GP100 in DA better than any other revolver I've owned.
The quality is very good on my new-last-year GP100. Very smooth chambers, throats and bore, and the Hogue grip soaks up the recoil very well.
Old January 26, 2013, 11:15 PM   #9
skidder

Quote:
That is because of the half lug design. I never like the GP100 6 inch with of the full underlug.
I agree that the 6" ones are too front heavy. When I went hunting for a GP I was looking for the 4" or the 6" half lug. I wish Ruger would bring back the 6" short shroud model. My brother-in-law has one and the balance seems much better. That being said, I know others prefer the front heavy revolvers for recoil. For me this extra weight is more of a negative than a plus.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old January 28, 2013, 08:53 PM   #10
TonyAZ

Thanks

Thanks to all for the helpful responses to my question. At present I don't have either GP100 or SecuritySix available locally, and whatever comes up first is likely to come home with me, as it seems you can't go very wrong with either. I do like the ruggedness of the Ruger revolvers I have owned or handled.
Old January 30, 2013, 04:37 AM   #11
Sevens

Hey skidder, that photo is beautiful.

I always wonder how you guys with the photography skills get the ideas for a great place to snap a picture of a gun. That photo is just terrific and you can even see the powder residue built up a bit on the cylinder.

Awesome!
Old January 30, 2013, 05:38 AM   #12
JimmyR

A last point

Tony, I will throw this out as a possible thing to think about. While Rugers do tend to last a while, the Security Six is no longer being made. Your odds of being able to find a Security Six in 5 years are going to drop significantly, and the prices are going to climb due to a dwindling supply. The GP100 will probably be around for quite a while longer. Thinking long term, you are better off getting another Security Six now, and waiting to get a GP100

I've got a small collection of guns that just aren't around much anymore, and thats how I try to look at guns, unless I am buying for a specific purpose. Just my $.02
Old January 30, 2013, 08:26 AM   #13
Hal

Quote:
the Security Six is no longer being made. Your odds of being able to find a Security Six in 5 years are going to drop significantly, and the prices are going to climb due to a dwindling supply
You make it sound like Ruger dropped the Six series just recently.
Ruger quit making them ~ 25 years ago.

Quote:
Thinking long term, you are better off getting another Security Six now, and waiting to get a GP100
That's very true however.
For some reason I can only speculate on, there seems to be a lot of the Six series guns on the market right now & the prices aren't too bad.
As they "catch on" again, the prices are bound to go up.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:13 AM   #14
CWKahrFan

Yeah Skidder... I figure that photo would look real good in one of the wintertime monthly photo contests...
Old January 30, 2013, 03:08 PM   #15
Sevens

Maybe I'm just looking past them, but that would be hard for me to imagine.

I'm a very serious gun guy and hobbyist. I hit numerous gun stores and gun shows and I just hardly ever go if I don't have time to look over ALL the handguns offered for sale. (of course, only the used ones. I almost never look at cases full of new guns)

My point is that I just don't hardly EVER see Security, Speed and Service Sixes in my travels. Really, no BS. I see GP's out the yingyang. I hardly ever see any of the 'Sixes.

First center fire revolver I'd ever shot was a four inch Security Six stoked with .357 Magnum. I was addicted at the first BOOM.

I'd pick one up if I find one with a price that makes me smile. Just to have yet another .357 Magnum. I absolutely love 'em, and love the cartridge.
Old January 30, 2013, 06:18 PM   #16
Whirlwind06

I found two 2 3/4 speed sixes at my local shop put them both in layaway.
Old January 30, 2013, 06:21 PM   #17
shootniron

Quote:
My point is that I just don't hardly EVER see Security, Speed and Service Sixes in my travels. Really, no BS. I see GP's out the yingyang. I hardly ever see any of the 'Sixes.
Same here...just do not see them, but I like the GP100 better anyway.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:37 PM   #18
skidder

Quote:
Hey skidder, that photo is beautiful.

I always wonder how you guys with the photography skills get the ideas for a great place to snap a picture of a gun. That photo is just terrific and you can even see the powder residue built up a bit on the cylinder.
Quote:
Yeah Skidder... I figure that photo would look real good in one of the wintertime monthly photo contests...
Thanks guys!

You are correct about the powder residue. A couple weeks ago I drove to a nearby trail-head with 100 wadcutter reloads. Shot from the fence till my ammo was depleted. I had my camera in the rig so I snapped a few. It was about 17 degrees, but sunny, so the pics turned out pretty good.

I don't have a nice camera. An old Kodak digital from 2005, but if the light is good, even an old crappy camera like mine has it's moments.
Old January 31, 2013, 02:22 PM   #19
floydster

Skidder, great photo of your SS--you are very talented

Smokeyloads