The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 5, 2009, 10:45 AM   #1
TheIrishJedi

Is This Normal For a Czech Mauser?

I recently bought a Czech vz 24 Mauser from SOG. The gun, overall, is in pretty good condition, but I do have one concern. The top 1 inch of the barrel rotates 360 degrees. I can even slide it off to reveal the main barrel underneath.

Here, just watch the youtube video of it to see what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoVYBIcMc94

Is this normal or should I be extremely concerned? I got it about a week ago now and it has yet to be fired. Should I call SOG and ask for a new one?
Old April 5, 2009, 02:45 PM   #2
Scorch

I've never seen anything like that on a military Mauser! Unless youplan on chasing the sight everytime you shoot, you may want to replace the pin or set screw that is supposed to hold it on. If there is no pin or set screw you can either (a)- soft solder it on, or (b) LocTite it on (I recommend the blue LocTite, red is pretty much permanent).
Old April 5, 2009, 04:06 PM   #3
ISC

silver solder it the front sight base in place then adjust the point of aim with a drift punch. when it's aligned, stake it in place.
Old April 5, 2009, 06:11 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

98 Mauser front and rear sight bands are SOFT SOLDERED on. DO NOT "silver solder" (silver braze) it.

Usually, under the sight blade itself there is a tiny alignment screw that fits into a shallow hole in the barrel to align the sight.
To repair the sight, remove the sight blade, loosen or remove the tiny screw, and remove the sight band from the barrel.

Clean the band and the barrel thoroughly, then you can either soft solder in place, or use Loctite Red to bond it in place.

In my place, I'd return the rifle to SOG for a replacement.