The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 22, 2006, 10:09 AM   #1
Wild Bill Bucks

Maine Monster?

Attachment 19924

Attachment 19925

Came up in the news a couple of days ago. Article says in weighs about 50 to 70 pounds and has killed a Dolberman and a Rotwieller.

Got run over chasing a house cat across a road in Maine. Nobody seems to know what it is, and the game department isn't making any comment.

Looks like some kind of wild dog,coyote,fox, something else, mix breed to me.

What do you guys think.

Last edited by Wild Bill Bucks; October 24, 2006 at 07:45 PM.
Old August 22, 2006, 10:48 AM   #2
FirstFreedom

Well, I think it's flat out hilarious when I see these stories and pictures of a DOG labeled as a monster, and a big news story hyped up about it. Let's see, there are some 135 recognized AKC breeds of all shapes, colors, and sizes of canis familiaris, ranging up to over 200 pounds, many more unrecognized breeds, and millions upon millions more heinz 57 crosses or mix breeds of man's best friend. And further, many breeds and/or sub-breeds have a strong dog-aggressive instinct, to kill the competing "packs", as wolves do in the wild, who are competing for territory and thus food sources. Not to mention that when dogs turn feral, they can become desperate and kill ANY living creature for their own food, be it rabbit, squirrel, other dog, or cat. Yet because this little guy is rather on the large side, runs feral, is a mixed breed, and kills animals, it is a monster, surely related to bigfoot himself! Cracks me up.

Looks like a dog.
Acts like a dog.
Guess what, folks? -

IT'S A DOG!!!!

This is not aimed at you, WBB, just folks in general who make something out of nothing. Still, gotta sell papers and get ratings somehow, those "news" outlets do. And it's fun to talk about, so glad you brought it up actually.

But on a side note, are you "into" crypto-zoology, WBB? You've probably got bigfoot mounted on your trophy wall, down there in Pitt County, I'd imagine! Just yankin your chain, man!

http://www.cryptozoology.com/
http://www.boston.com/news/local/mai...p1=MEWell_Pos1

This is outstanding:

Quote:
"It was evil, evil looking. And it had a horrible stench I will never forget," she told the Sun Journal of Lewiston. "We locked eyes for a few seconds and then it took off. I've lived in Maine my whole life and I've never seen anything like it."
Old August 22, 2006, 11:15 AM   #3
Wild Bill Bucks

Pretty much what I thought to FF. Got into the Big Foot thing a little, when the wife and I would go 4-wheeling up in the honobia area.
My wife and I, took 4 sherriffs deputies with us, last year and all were carrying Glock 40's with their badges on their belts. I was carrying my .44 Mag, in a cross chest holster.

We stopped riding to fix a sandwich, and all of a sudden (out of nowhere) a guy appeared right next to us. No one saw where he came from. He was about 6'6" tall and around 270 lbs. Over alls with one strap down and no shirt, boots with no laces, long black beard, looked a little like a Grizzly Adams kind of guy.

He said "What you guys doing", I told him we were just riding around and had stopped for a sandwich. He then told me that nobody cared if we rode around, but we needed to keep on riding!!!

We rode down the mountain a ways, and I pulled up long enough to talk to the guys with me. We all agreed that, as big as the guy was, and with five pistols and 4 badges looking at him, that if he wanted us to keep riding, then we would KEEP RIDING.

Not a single one of us new where he came from or where he went back to, but that is as close to BIG FOOT as I have ever been.
Old August 22, 2006, 11:53 AM   #4
Scorch

Funny how when people don't know about things and don't understand them, they become monsters. Maybe that explains anti-gunners. Don't know guns, don't understand guns, so they're monsters.

Wild Bill- Just think: that guy you saw may have been my cousin.
Old August 22, 2006, 03:30 PM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Do here in Texas, the Chupacabra that was shot, killed, buried, and then dug up for examination was another canid such as a coyote or mixed breed domestic dog.

How can folks be such goofs on such matters?

The "Maine monster" looks to be what, a chow/corgi mix?
Old August 22, 2006, 04:03 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

WBB & Guys

My hunting buddy, who also follows the cryptozoology stories pretty closely, related to me a story he recently saw on some cable tv show on C.Z. It involved yes, bigfoot, and yes, right there in S.E. Okla. But the investigators, or "scientists" were foreigners from jolly ol' England. Anyway, so they go out into the woods at NIGHT, along with a local sherrif's deputy or otherwise local LEO they managed to find and get to go with them in a small SE Okla. town, and traipse through the woods with a cameraman in tow, of course. At some point, they start talking and sort of freaking themselves out, and then they hear a noise. Then what happens next is the scary/funny/unbelievable part - the sheriff's deputy guy pulls out his glock pistol and EMPTIES the mag toward the sound into nothing but the dark of the night, into the woods. So, had it been some innocent person, they could be dead. It was described by my friend as being ridiculously unsafe and uncalled for. Anyway, kinda funny..... I thought no 4-wheelers were allowed on Honobia & Three Rivers? That dude you came across, he may account for some of those sightings, sounds like. I'd keep riding too!
Old August 22, 2006, 04:22 PM   #7
Desertfox

The dog looks like a chow something mix to me too. Normal wild dog behavior to fight/kill the competition or defend territory.

As far as the guy who appeared out of no where on you WBB. The big question is, did he pay the extra $16. to hunt that warehouser land, or was he illegal.
Old August 22, 2006, 04:22 PM   #8
Capp35

Chupacabra

The chupacabra ("goat sucker") is an animal said to be unknown to science and systemically killing animals in places like Puerto Rico, Miami, Nicaragua, Chile, and Mexico. The creature's name originated with the discovery of some dead goats in Puerto Rico with puncture wounds in their necks and their blood allegedly drained. According to UFO Magazine (March/April 1996) there have been more than 2,000 reported cases of animal mutilations in Puerto Rico attributed to the chupacabra.
Old August 22, 2006, 05:10 PM   #9
swampdog

Chow mix monster, huh? I've met a couple of chows with bad attitudes, but never a monster. Some of them certainly stink, though.

Chupacabra

I've got a few questions:
Does anyone know how Puerto Rico feels about visiting hunters? Can I take a rifle or handgun or will I need to use a bow?
Is using bait while hunting legal in P.R.?
How much does your average goat cost?

Seriously, if those statistics are true, I'd be looking for a cult that uses blood in their ceremonies. I guess there aren't too many of those in the Caribbean.
Old August 22, 2006, 05:14 PM   #10
Trip20

FirstFreedom -- I have watched the television show your friend described. In fact I've seen it more than once as it's repeated a few times. It's been on TLC, Discovery, or one of those type channels. Maybe it was Animal Planet -- I can't remember anymore.

At any rate, your pal either has a bad memory, or decided to take creative license in a few areas.

The investigators or scientists were actually just a television news station; not quite local, but from one of the nearer "big cities". The field reporter and camera man went into the woods at night with 2 or 3 "locals" -- no one in the party was a foreigner; no one was from England.

The premise of this episode was to investigate a supposed bigfoot encounter, at the location of original sighting, at night. One of the locals had not been back since the sighting as he was too afraid. I remember him clinging to the female reporter like it was his mama. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit myself on that one.

When the party makes their way to the scene, they begin to discuss the sightings in more detail. As their discussion ensues, what is later describe as fist sized rocks begin landing near them. The rocks appear to be coming from the surrounding hills (they are standing in a shallow ravine of sorts). The camera picked up the what sounded like rocks hitting the ground around them -- but who knows what it really was. Anyway, this is what begins to freak them out.

So the rocks are landing around them, they're getting freaked out, and begin searching the hillside with their eyes (they were too afraid to physically search) for any signs of movement. They're looking up the hills towards the skyline, and someone notices a large black shape moving between trees; it's silhouette dark against the somewhat lighter skyline.

The person who notices this shape is the guy with the Glock. His Glock has a guide rod laser. He begins to use his Glock as a laser pointer like you would use in conjunction with a PowerPoint presentation at a business meeting. He’s attempting to get the field reporter to look in the same area where he saw the large black shape moving back and forth between trees.

After a minute or so of this laser jazz, and about 45 commercial breaks, Glock-laser-man does eventually fire 3 rounds (I think it’s 2 rounds, but I’m being generous) in the general direction of the black moving object. "Ridiculously unsafe and uncalled for" -- your buddy got that right.

I don't remember Glock-laser-man being an LEO of any type, but rather I'm about 80% sure - going off of memory - it is an average joe who was carrying the Glock.
Old August 22, 2006, 07:10 PM   #11
FirstFreedom

Wow, funny how the stories can get so changed up. I'll ask him about it - he says it was LEO, and he says the mag was emptied, but you're right, he may have been exaggerating. And he left out the part about the rocks hitting. And I do think he said they were from England. Anyway, pretty amusing. The rocks thing makes me think it may have been staged....c'mon now.
Old August 22, 2006, 07:22 PM   #12
Trip20

No big deal. But having seen the exact episode with in the last 3 months, I wanted to put forth what I remember. In all fairness, who's to say my memory is wrong and his isn't spot on.
Old August 22, 2006, 08:16 PM   #13
UniversalFrost

Quote:
it is a monster, surely related to bigfoot himself!
Probabbly big foots dog! Man is he gonna be pissed that they ran over his dog

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old August 22, 2006, 09:52 PM   #14
Fat White Boy

+1 Chow - mix...
Old August 22, 2006, 09:54 PM   #15
sks forever

Looks like a dead Chow to me. I always get sad when I see a dead dog. WHy did you post that?
Old August 22, 2006, 11:31 PM   #16
Bigfatts

Looks like a really ugly dead dog to me. And it looks like black spray paint at the bottom of the first pic in the grass? The short broad muzzle kinda makes me think of Pit or maybe some type of Bulldog. But I may be, and probably am, wrong. It's dead though. So it will no longer pillage and terrorize the blue hairs.
Old August 23, 2006, 03:35 AM   #17
Esquire M Busterbury

Yup, Looks like a dead chow to me...but good riddance! Chows are an abomination...they should be hunted for sport.
Old August 23, 2006, 09:15 AM   #18
Wild Bill Bucks

FF,
They will let you ride on the dirt roads and size roads, at honobia and three rivers, but you can't take off through the woods on them. We were on a dirt road when this guy appeared. He couldn't have scared me any worse, if he had been a real big foot.

It's funny how the people around Octavia and Smithville treat the Big Foot thing. I guess that's what got me started looking for tracks and such. It started out with me as just something to give me an excuse to get out during the off-season, and after 5 or 6 years of looking, I haven't found a sign of anything that I couldn't explain. But I gotta tell ya, some of the people that live up there, are pretty serious about SOMETHING up there that they have seen. If you laugh or smirk when they are telling their stories, they will get plain old fighting mad because you don't believe them.

I think most of them are probably telling the truth, but I think they are seeing a large black bear, since there are a lot of bear tracks around the water holes, in the higher elevations. That's the only thing I can think it could be.

It's always fun to go looking anyway.
Old August 23, 2006, 12:19 PM   #19
Scorch

Quote:
According to UFO Magazine (March/April 1996) there have been more than 2,000 reported cases of animal mutilations in Puerto Rico attributed to the chupacabra
Now THERE'S a reliable source!

If you are going to believe someone who SAYS they saw something, I would personally recommend avoiding people who wear aluminum foil as underwear.
Old August 23, 2006, 03:22 PM   #20
jhgreasemonkey

That looks a lot like Brutus my old chow akida mix. He's dead now but that "monster" could be his brother. Somehow I get the feeling theres a hippie behind this story. "Dude! There I was minding my own business picking shrooms, when Pow! This dreaded monster appeared! And right before getting struck down by the CIA agents in the car he told me the meaning of life; "Woof" Thats heavy man.......far out"
Old August 23, 2006, 04:00 PM   #21
FirstFreedom

Quote:
If you laugh or smirk when they are telling their stories, they will get plain old fighting mad because you don't believe them
I'd probably end up in a fight, because I would not be able to keep from smirking. Dang, I wish they'd open up a black bear season, on a lottery draw-out basis. Good to know you can take 4-wheelers on the main roads in Honobia & 3 Rivers, cuz otherwise you ain't gonna get far, without a horse.
Old August 23, 2006, 04:29 PM   #22
swk314

I don't know if you guys have seen them, they are pretty rare, but maybe it's a young black fox. the younger they are the boxier they are. The picture shows a bushy tail. Just a thought
Old August 23, 2006, 04:59 PM   #23
pwelsh4hd

Quote:
Yup, Looks like a dead chow to me...but good riddance! Chows are an abomination...they should be hunted for sport.
Now that's some real mature observation and input for ya

Nuisance relief......maybe....but to advocate shooting a domestic animal for sport?......... :barf:
Old August 23, 2006, 05:38 PM   #24
Esquire M Busterbury

But as long as squirels, rabbits, & coyotes are okay to shoot. Just stay away from the cute puppy dogs...Wah wah wah. Let one of those docile-looking demon dogs take a bite outta YOUR behind with no warning and see how much you like them. I'd take an abused rottweiler before the sweetest chow. ABOMINATION. (and Fugly to boot!)

Save the children. Kill a chow.

And my most humble apologies for offending your MOST delicate sensibilities. If you're ever in tucson, send me a P.M. and we can hug & talk about feelings (over some nice green tea!)

Build a bridge & get over it.
Old August 23, 2006, 06:59 PM   #25
Trip20

So a chow bit you - therefore they're all bad?

Hmm, that rationale sounds eerily familiar.

I could give a steaming pile of dung about chows or any other breed... but if your going to have such an unconditional opinion, at least base it on some intelligence.