The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 14, 2000, 06:45 PM   #1
kidcoltoutlaw

i am having trouble getting my sizing die set for my 357 sig.its a p229 sport.either its set to high and the slide dont close or set to low and it wont fire.it works great with factory ammo.i have new winchester brass i get miss fires with it to .the shoulder is set to low,you have to pull the trigger 4 or 5 times to get it to go off.IS THERE ANYBODY THAT MAKES A CASE GAUGE FOR THE 357 SIG.
Old April 14, 2000, 09:12 PM   #2
WalterGAII

Wilson will custom make one for you, for a mere $50 or so. I had the same trouble with .400 Cor-Bon, which is of similar design to the .357 Sig. I take out the barrel of whichever of my guns I'm loading for and adjust the die so that the case is either flush or just a couple of thousandths under the rear surface of the barrel hood. Of course, I'm loading for Glocks and a Colt Gold Cup. I've fired thousands of rounds with no problems.
Old April 14, 2000, 09:18 PM   #3
kidcoltoutlaw

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WalterGAII:
Wilson will custom make one for you, for a mere $50 or so. I had the same trouble with .400 Cor-Bon, which is of similar design to the .357 Sig. I take out the barrel of whichever of my guns I'm loading for and adjust the die so that the case is either flush or just a couple of thousandths under the rear surface of the barrel hood. Of course, I'm loading for Glocks and a Colt Gold Cup. I've fired thousands of rounds with no problems. [/quote]
thanks a million,keith akers
Old April 15, 2000, 09:05 AM   #4
kidcoltoutlaw

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WalterGAII:
Wilson will custom make one for you, for a mere $50 or so. I had the same trouble with .400 Cor-Bon, which is of similar design to the .357 Sig. I take out the barrel of whichever of my guns I'm loading for and adjust the die so that the case is either flush or just a couple of thousandths under the rear surface of the barrel hood. Of course, I'm loading for Glocks and a Colt Gold Cup. I've fired thousands of rounds with no problems. [/quote]
do you have the web address i can no find it,you are talking about the people that make the wilson case gauge right.the only thing i found on them said they dont sell to the public,thanks,keith
Old April 16, 2000, 12:19 AM   #5
WalterGAII

I bought one of their excellent case gages for my .223 from Midway for about $16. I was put off by their offer to make one for my "wildcat" .400 Cor-Bon for something over $50. I don't think that they have a website, but I found their phone number through switchboard.com. It.s L.E. Wilson, Inc., in Cashmere, Wash. I talked with somebody there; they were really nice, and didn't say anything about not dealing with the public. They offered, in fact, to make a case gage for my .400 Cor-Bon. I've loaded five or six thousand rounds successfully without a case gage, so I don't think that I'll be getting one.

BTW, did you try taking the barrel out and using it as a case gage??? Be sure and clean the chamber well, if you decide to try that method.

[This message has been edited by WalterGAII (edited April 16, 2000).]
Old April 16, 2000, 11:50 PM   #6
Bud Helms

Keith,

Have you seen this site: 357 SIG handload reliability...controlling headspace?