The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 10, 2004, 03:44 PM   #1
XavierBreath

I think I got a deal....

I found a Winchester 1200 today in a pawnshop for $60. That's right, $60. The gun looked like hell, but the action was smooth tight. The stocks were in rough but solid condition, no cracks, just a lot of grease and dirt. Heck, the original recoil pad is still good! No rust. The barrel is 20 inches, with a 5 round magazine.

So...... for $66.65 out the door, I have a new to me shotgun. I have been wanting a "front of the house" shotgun, and had also considered how my black, heatshielded Mossberg would look to a jury if I ever had to use it. This gun looks like somebody bought it 30 years ago, took it hunting a couple of times, and then it became a home defense weapon and spent a three decades propped up in a closet. Basicaly all I did is saw off the forend so it would not overlap the reciever, cleaned up the stock and forend a bit, and loaded her up and ran a couple of boxes of ammo through her. No problems.

The gun is ugly, but it works. I'm stoked!
Old December 10, 2004, 09:58 PM   #2
HSMITH

Sounds good to me!!!
Old December 10, 2004, 10:22 PM   #3
pepsquad

as long as my guns shoot straight

that's all i really ask of the ones i currently have; eventually i might start buying prettier guns but for now .... sounds like you got one hell of a deal.
Old December 11, 2004, 12:37 PM   #4
Irishmtnmn2001

Congrats

Sounds like a good buy on the shotgun. I always check my local gunstores for recent trades. ESPECIALLY the "junk". The guys at the counter usually don't get too excited about the old stuff coming in because the commission is almost nothing when it sells. As a result.......they don't always take the time to identify it before it is put out for sale. I picked up a sweet-shooting Western Field 16 guage pump a few weeks ago, Super condition! It was tagged as a 12 guage. Luckily the salesman wasn't a fan of 16.....he sold it to me for $50.00! Not exactly a Beretta but fun to shoot and when I put a huge scratch in the stock crossing a barbed wire fence out hunting some day...I won't scream bloody murder! Enjoy your Winchester!
Old December 13, 2004, 04:20 PM   #5
rogerwilco

Take a picture and show that baby off!!!
Old December 14, 2004, 03:53 PM   #6
XavierBreath

Here's that puppy!
Old December 14, 2004, 04:51 PM   #7
rogerwilco

Yup!!! It'll get the job done. I will but it from ya for $67.00
Old December 15, 2004, 11:05 AM   #8
dr.magnum

I found a pawn shop that had a semi-auto 12ga. on the shelf, painted green. Someone tried to do a home camo job and really messed it up. It was marked $99. I looked at it just to laugh at it then realized it was a Win. model 50. I bought it, cleaned it up, and it came out looking great.