The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Glock or Sig sauer
Glock 76 60.32%
sig sauer 50 39.68%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 21, 2013, 03:40 PM   #26
Roland Thunder

Neither. I have a Sig 226 9mm but my carry gun is a Kahr PM9. The Sig is my nightstand gun
Old January 21, 2013, 03:43 PM   #27
Single Six

The two different Sig P220s I've been issued [blued, then later the stainless model] have both had their trigger return springs snap in half while in use. This particular part breaking leaves you with a non-firing pistol. It happened to the blued one after having had it for a few years; it happened with the stainless one in the first few hundred rounds. The same problem recently occurred with another officer's Sig on the range. I'll agree, any pistol can have issues. However, in my experience, Sigs [or at least, the P220 models] have not lived up to their reputation of reliability....to have the same part breaking that many times is, to me, no coincidence. I'm glad that so many others have had nothing but good experiences with the Sig....but not all of us can say likewise.
Old January 21, 2013, 03:47 PM   #28
Double Impact

I guess I should have mentioned I have carried for over thirty years now and I have carried and still carry a 1911 sig p220 or a glock in 45 acp.
All of these guns have been reliable many thousands of rds.

And as far as the newer sigs right now I carry a sig P220 ss Elite and currently has 10487 rds doen range flawless, I also have two other P220's with a little less rds but none the less flawless. No offense to people that think there is a problem with the new sigs but I tend to disagree the quality of the new sig in my opinion are superb. I also at times carry glocks in 45 acp they all run flawless as well. Just a matter of how you take care of them I think. I know some friends who have bought used sig p220's and have nothing but problems and they come ask me about them and 99.99% of the time the problems stem from the last owner. I carry one of my sigs most of the time now but i still appreciate the glocks and 1911's.
OP.
Old January 21, 2013, 05:46 PM   #29
tristar viper

Sigs are too heavy, too many levers and controls, and feel clunky on your side. A Glock is an infinite times better carry gun IMO, and I have both. And my Glock has never malfunctioned...my 229 did. My 226 never has, but I still trust my Glock more. I'd have to say Glock is winning the poll for a reason, and a few of the haters in here don't like it.
Old January 21, 2013, 06:32 PM   #30
BGutzman

Hey tristar - given my admitted dislike for the platform I thought I did amazingly well with what I did say! Besides I didnt even list the negatives... Thats bonus points!
Old January 21, 2013, 06:50 PM   #31
tristar viper

LOL, I didn't mention anyone's names....you must be guilty,
Old January 21, 2013, 07:26 PM   #32
RBid

I own a Glock. I don't own a Sig. Generally speaking, I prefer polymer framed, striker fired pistols. Lighter. Better first pull than a DAO. Fewer external controls. In short, perfect for carry.

Having said all of that, I am a huge fan of the Sig 229 and 226. I wouldn't want one for concealed carry, but I understand why these are the choice for many who walk into Hell in the line of duty.
Old January 21, 2013, 07:36 PM   #33
Tactical Jackalope

Funny thing. About the used SIG P220's malfunctions stemming from the last owners negligence. I'm there now. With the trigger spring too. Apparently in the wrong hole instead of notch or something or other. Before that another issue.

Then again. That IS second hand.

My P226 has been as good as they come.

My Glocks haven't failed either with an exception of my gen 4 G19 which I just recently traded.

I love them both still to be honest. Just gen 4's kind of ruined it for Glock a bit. "If it ain't broke. Don't fix it" should have been thought up better.

SIG Sauer 1911 XO - Custom Springfield MilSpec 1911 - Colt Gold Cup Trophy Model 1911 - Colt 70 Series 1911 - SIG Sauer P220 - SIG Sauer P226 E2 - Browning High-Power blue & stainless - Glock 17 - Glock 19 - Glock 21SF - Glock 22 - S&W Model 19 - H&k USP 40 - Remington Magnum 870 - Rock River AR-15 “Americans can no longer depend upon legislation to defend them from all who intend to do them harm.”
Old January 21, 2013, 08:02 PM   #34
Single Six

I'm almost inclined to forgive the first P220 I was issued for it's trigger spring snapping in half...it was a few years along when it happened. But the stainless P220ST had it happen when it was still brand new. Ergo, I won't take the PD up on their offer to buy it whenever we finally upgrade.
Old January 21, 2013, 08:40 PM   #35
jmortimer

"I'd have to say Glock is winning the poll for a reason, and a few of the haters in here don't like it."

I see no "hate", just another glock clone with thin skin. Sure, more people will own, and have an interest in justifying the lesser over the greater. Chevy or BMW. Glock or Sig.

As I said "Other" would be #1 if that was an option.
Old January 21, 2013, 08:57 PM   #36
Hoosier_Daddy

I lied. I just wouldn't vote for Glock.
If this was a real survey, there should have been a third tab labled other.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:21 PM   #37
RBid

What does a Sig do better than a Glock?
Old January 21, 2013, 09:27 PM   #38
colbad

Like someone already said a Sig vs Glock is like Cadillac vs Chevy...Sig being the Cadillac. No matter how long between shooting sessions picking up the Sig after 21 years of daily wear is like an extension of my hand.

I carry both brands depending upon what I am wearing or doing. If I am really going into harms way its Sig 229 (.40) on a hip holster. I also have rubber grips on my 229 making blood and sweat less of a grip issue. Under a suit I like a shoulder rig with a sig 239 (.40) or 229 depending on what I am doing. If a protective detail its 229 in the primary position and 239 positioned as a back up. If its just a dress up day the 239 lays flatter.

Often for just knocking around and wanting a gun close at hand and not worrying about getting it wet, sweaty or dirty, it is one of a variety of Glocks or my Smith 642 in a pocket. The Glock 23 is a good comfortable mid size but I tend to favor the 27 (.40) for its compact size and ability to take a lager mag if a reload was needed. I have several Glocks and a Sig 228 in 9mm but prefer the .40....unless its a Glock 18

Last edited by colbad; January 21, 2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old January 21, 2013, 10:06 PM   #39
Ben Towe

Sig 1911 Platinum Elite. I don't carry a Glock anymore because, well, they don't build a 1911. And I've never seen a Glock even approach the Sig's accuracy.
Old January 21, 2013, 10:26 PM   #40
BGutzman

Quote:
What does a Sig do better than a Glock?
Without thinking - they look a whole lot better!

Im am making no other comments in a effort of peace..
Old January 21, 2013, 11:11 PM   #41
RBid

I have trigger time on Sigs and Glocks. I haven't noticed a quantifiable difference in performance.

They seem to do the same job, but the Sig does it while being dead sexy.

I will say that I have not been able to properly work out a Sig with the SRT. I could see that being a conversation changer.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:18 PM   #42
SDF880

Glock 30 and or Glock 33
Old January 21, 2013, 11:39 PM   #43
dp509

I have owned and carried both as a police officer.

Current departmental issue, starting Monday, is a Glock 23 4th generation.

I currently carry a glock 19 3rd generation.

I work 12 hour plus shifts and I do not have back problems.

I carried a Springfield TRP then went to a Kimber Tactial Custom II. (Aluminum Frame).

Loved the guns, but they were too much weight, for me.

Try running, walking and just wearing all the gear.

It gets heavy. Plus, I have double the round count and half the weight.

Also, I can shoot the glock 19, with either hand, unsupported, and hit my target.

Less recoil, more rounds on target.
Old January 22, 2013, 12:57 AM   #44
ccwnut

I voted Glock

I don't have a problem with Sigs, I just prefer Glocks.
Old January 22, 2013, 01:03 AM   #45
militant

Glock 22 in winter, .357 mag wheel gun in the summer.
Old January 22, 2013, 04:22 AM   #46
Sheriff Gotcha

I don't own either, but I am looking into getting a G19 if/when I can actually find one in all this panic.

If I can find a nice used Sig for a decent price I may be swayed, but right now the Glock is my choice.

Then again if I track down a Shield 9mm that will take precedent over both. That's unlikely though as they are more scarce than target 22 and 9mm ammo.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:19 AM   #47
Double Impact

I spoke earlier about the troubles with some of the sigs being due to former owners of used guns and the changes they make.

Well I just got done helping a friend of mine that bought a new one about three months ago.
He had 2000 rds thru it and it was flawless, Then he put one some rubber grips from hogue well he was out shooting and the trigger bar spring broke so he replaced it and within about 200 rds another broke.
Well he called me and I asked him what have changed that you didn't the first 2000 rds he said all I did was put on some hogue grips.
I told himm to take them off and put the originals back on lo and behold 850 rds later the gun is working at 100% again.

Hogue usually sends a instruction stating that those rubber grips, will not work on some guns unless a little piece they send along with them is used. Well not knowing what that piece was he tossed it and didn't read directions.

My point a good example of the user being at fault for a failing sig not to say they won't have problems on their own but more then not it's due to some simply overlook by a person. Just like some of the trigger jobs I have seen on glocks bad news at times. speaking of glocks I just got done putinng 350 rds down range with a gen 4 21 damn thats a smooth shooting gun.
Old January 22, 2013, 05:13 PM   #48
dgludwig

Quote:
Sigs are too heavy, too many levers and controls,
Before we get too carried away, when comparing, say, the SIG Model 220 Carry (with 3.9" barrel) pistol with the Glock Model G30 (with 3.77" barrel), it is conceded that the SIG has one "extra" lever/control (the decocker). And, yes, the SIG weighs approximately four ounces more-if that makes a significant difference for someone when carried it concealed.

Quote:
I'd have to say Glock is winning the poll for a reason, and a few of the haters in here don't like it.
I'm no hater, but I have to ask, are you really suggesting that a prospective buyer (with all of his individual needs, level of training, potentionally unique to him purposes, income level, etc.) should pay much heed to an internet poll when deciding on which pistol to buy? And I don't care which brand is "winning", does it make much sense to predicate a purchasing decision for something this potentially important and singular to the buyer on the outcome of an internet poll? Really?
Old January 22, 2013, 05:19 PM   #49
tristar viper

So why does this poll need an "other" option to vote for?? The OP posted a poll consisting of two options he wanted results for. I suppose "other" is required now because the Glock is pulling away. If you don't carry one of these guns, or don't like one of them, then you don't/didn't have to vote. I like them both. I have them both. I picked the Glock, but I coudn't care less which one wins this poll.
And Sigs, just generally because they just do, weigh a whole lot more than Glocks. Sure you can cherry pick a few Sigs that are within 4 or 6 ounces of some Glock, but overall Sigs are significantly heavier.
The 220 carry is 30.2 oz The G30 is 24.9 oz That's 5.3 not 4 oz. I put that into perspective by saying that 5.3 oz is over half the weight of my Taurus TCP. And to me that amount would matter.

Last edited by tristar viper; January 22, 2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old January 22, 2013, 05:28 PM   #50
dgludwig

Quote:
I'd have to say Glock is winning the poll for a reason, and a few of the haters in here don't like it.
Quote:
I picked the Glock, but I coudn't care less which one wins this poll.
My comments were only based on what you posted. Sorry if I misread what you meant to say but you did imply that the Glock was "winning" the poll for a reason and that the so-called "haters" resented it. As if this poll (or any poll) really means much in the end, is my only point.