The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 11, 1999, 01:51 AM   #1
Rob Pincus

Well, I'm off on another hunt next week, heading to Alabama. Eastern Alabama to be specific. Looking for Whitetails.

I'll be in Western Alabama in two weeks looking for the same.

Nothing much more to say, but maybe it'll strike up a conversation..
Old January 11, 1999, 10:01 AM   #2
Andy

You lucky S.O.B.!
Old January 11, 1999, 01:53 PM   #3
Rob Pincus

Not exactly what I was looking for, but I'll take it.
Old January 12, 1999, 08:41 AM   #4
Joyce

I'll bet that all of our whitetails went south to Alabama this year, because we certainly didn't see very many. Last year hunting was fairly open, this year was frustrating. Lots of food for the animals and really warm weather. The only thing that I suspect is that so much food and warmth let them stay in isolated areas and not have to move much.

Good luck on your hunting trip.
Old January 12, 1999, 11:21 AM   #5
Rob Pincus

That has been the story just about everywhere in the east this year, joyce. Misreable. I have a little spot up north that I can't remember the last year I haven't at least seen a good deer in, thei year there was notta.... It might be better now, butO'm too busy to truck up there for winter bow, so I'll let'em wait til next year.

Even here in TN, the harvest has been off, from what I am hearing. Maybe deer have become migratory and no one told us. Hopefully there are all hanging out in Alabama... we'll see.

------------------
-Essayons
Old January 18, 1999, 02:35 AM   #6
Rob Pincus

No Deer on the first trip.....

Wife got a nice Bobcat though. Perfect shot as usuall..... !@$@#@%#@%$#% !!

I saw nothing and was only in the woods one afternoon. I spent most of the trip working.. as usual. Sometimes we need to hunt Dollars instead of DEER.

Afteer a quick jump to Reno and back I'll be hunting in Alabama again next weekend.. This time For Real!!

------------------
-Essayons
Old January 18, 1999, 06:43 PM   #7
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Luck. The first deer I shot was in Sylacauga. Shot it from the hip with 00 buck. I was sitting on the ground, and it walked right by me. (I had actually missed about 5 chances to shoot at deer the three days before that, due to my inexperience. When I told my brother that I had almost not shot this one because I was not sure it was big enough, he said, "What were you waiting for, moose?" )
Old January 25, 1999, 12:37 AM   #8
Rob Pincus

Okay, South Alabama it is!!

I was near Selma, AL for the past few days and I nailed the largest 8 point I've seen in a while after about 30 mins in the stand on Thursday.

I had just takena Red-eye back from the SCI convention and driven down from Birmingham. At about 3:00 O'clock my host took my to a stand I settled in for a knap, expecting to have a good hour before the deer started moving.

I was laying inside of a nicely built fully enclosed wooden stand about 25 feet above a field with me rifle leaning agianst the wall and my eyes closed when I heard the deer walking behind me. I ignored it, figuring it was a squirrel or something. As the steps got close, I decided it was a Chickadee looking for seeds in the leaves or soemthing.
Then, I actually heard the dee pulling Grass from the green field I was sitting over! DUH!.. Wake up....

I peeked out of the stand and say the rack through the top of a cedar tree that was right against my stand. I got anxious and bumped the wall as I grabbed my rifle, when the big buck picked his head up and tensed I threw the rifle up and looked through the cedar. Let me say, Thank God for the Scout Scope!.. With both eyes open and minimal magnification, it was easy enough to pick out shoulder muscles and pull the trigger. The deer was about 40 yards from the base of the tree I was in.

The buck bolted into the field, but he didn't make it 100 yards. Lung Shot, I didn't compenstar at all for the fact that the scope's crosshair was certainly low for that range and hit a little higher than I wanted to.

I also Shot an Armadillo from a stand a couple days later with my RT Glock. That was fun, but I don't know if it was "hunting" .

While we were there the Wife used the Blaser to take a nice 8 point, which won a competition that she was in, but I was not eligible for. She was psyched!

pictures to follow (probly after SHOT)

------------------
-Essayons
Old January 27, 1999, 12:22 PM   #9
Rob Pincus

Here is a pic of my 8 point. (optimized for fastest loading, not clarity.. )
http://www.catalystpro.com/hunt/bmdeerSM.GIF

------------------
-Essayons

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 01-31-99).]
Old January 27, 1999, 09:01 PM   #10
Andy

You lucky S.O.B.!