The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 2, 2013, 11:18 AM   #1
9mm

gunbroker emails I owe money?

So I keep getting these emails from gunbroker I owe money/ I never sold anything or used gunbroker for a year. Past five months I been getting this.
Also they never sent me any letters (mail) just email, I would think if I did owe money they would send me a hand letter via mail(address on file)

Also I can't log into gunbroker because my account is not verrified? I been a member from 2009 and I tried too many log in's once and I got this message everytime I log in.

Quote:
Your account has been flagged by the GunBroker.com security system as suspect. The information you entered could not be verified by our service.

In order to verify your identity please send us pictures of your driver's license and a current utility bill or clear copy of your driver's license and a current utility bill. Please fax this information to 770-573-3671 or email the information to: [email protected]

If you have further questions please contact customer support about your account.
I don't trust the emails (I think they are fake) but this is when I log into gunbroker I get this error.
Old July 2, 2013, 11:22 AM   #2
Closing The Gap

Contact customer support.... seems like you have the answer right there.
Old July 2, 2013, 12:55 PM   #3
Swampman1

I also got a email from GB stating I was charged a $2 fee to my CC. Not sure if it's the same thing you're talking about, but upon signing up, the contract stated that I was going to be charged this for what is basically a processing fee. I know...it's ridiculous. It's Gunbroker.
Old July 2, 2013, 01:28 PM   #4
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

They only charge once, at sign-up, and not per year, unless they just started it, but I haven't gotten anything from them. I would call them up, and ask about it. I use them and Guns America, both, and never have had any problems from either.

Check here:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/Sup...1155&nocount=1

Last edited by Dixie Gunsmithing; July 2, 2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old July 2, 2013, 06:08 PM   #5
9mm

They emailed me back and say I owe $3.50 for a extension fee? lol well about to pay after they veri my info. That's so odd because I joined in 2009 and just started getting the emails at the first of the year (2013) Shouldn't I been charged in 2009 2010?
Old July 2, 2013, 07:24 PM   #6
NoSecondBest

After being on GB for about five years they sent me a notice that I owed them $2.00 and if I didn't pay they'd freeze my account. After much difficulty I finally got them to drop the fee. Next month got another notice I owed them money. This happened about four times and finally they explained that as a "seller" on GB I had to pay a monthly fee. I explained that I'd never sold anything on GB and in fact, never attempted to sell anything on GB and that after five years of just looking I didn't understand why they were trying to charge me for something I wasn't doing. They got all porky about it and said if I didn't pay they'd freeze the account. I told them to KMA. Around that time I saw a number of posts from other people in the same boat. It was either a deliberate attempt on GB's part to get money or they were too stupid to fix their mistake and straighten it out. Either way, after about four months of that BS I had enough of GB to last me a lifetime.
Old July 3, 2013, 11:07 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've never gotten anything like that from them, and I've been a gunbroker member since... 2008?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 3, 2013, 01:37 PM   #8
Salmoneye

Quote:
I've never gotten anything like that from them, and I've been a gunbroker member since... 2008?
I also have never received anything asking/demanding money...
Old July 3, 2013, 11:30 PM   #9
KyJim

I have also never gotten an email like that. I would be concerned that it might be a phishing scheme. Type in their website address (don't use links provided in the email), log in, and check your account info. Frankly, I never knew they charged for just being a member. I've never actually bought or sold anything on Gunbroker.
Old July 4, 2013, 10:20 AM   #10
NoSecondBest

Quote:
I have also never gotten an email like that. I would be concerned that it might be a phishing scheme. Type in their website address (don't use links provided in the email), log in, and check your account info. Frankly, I never knew they charged for just being a member. I've never actually bought or sold anything on Gunbroker.
They don't charge for being a member. I contacted GB and they kept telling me I was being charged for being a seller. I never sold, nor attempted to sell, anything on GB. All I ever did was look and twice I bid on items I didn't win. Somehow they had it in their system that I became a seller when I did not. I asked them to tell me what I sold or attempted to sell. They couldn't tell me. I did that twice and they corrected the problem twice. The third time they got a little upset when I asked them why this kept happening and when they were going to fix their problem. I guess it's easier to lose a member rather than fix the problem. I tried, they didn't.
Old July 4, 2013, 08:08 PM   #11
laytonj1

Quote:
I contacted GB and they kept telling me I was being charged for being a seller.
? That doesn't make sense. There is no charge for being a seller. Only the selling fee when you sell something.
I've been buying and selling on GB for 8 years and never sent an email asking for money. They charge your listed credit card for their fee after you sell an item.

Jim

Last edited by laytonj1; July 4, 2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old July 4, 2013, 08:11 PM   #12
Hawg

I changed my email address and they sent me an email saying I owed a dollar. I said pizz on'em. I didn't buy that much from there anyway.
Old July 4, 2013, 08:49 PM   #13
NoSecondBest

Quote:
? That doesn't make sense. There is no charge for being a seller. Only the selling fee when you sell something.
I've been buying and selling on GB for 8 years and never sent an email asking for money. They charge your listed credit card for their fee after you sell an item.
Apparantly there is a monthly fee if you register as a seller or have posted items for sale. Other people tell me that they pay two dollars a month and I'm not imagining that they asked for the money, I'm tell you they demanded it or they would freeze my account. They wanted my credit card number to charge the fee to. I never had to give them my credit card number for the first five years I joined GB and saw no need for a non seller to have to give them that info. This wasn't a phishing email, it happened on their site and they did indeed freeze my account when I wouldn't give them the card info and agree to pay a monthly fee.
Old July 4, 2013, 08:56 PM   #14
laytonj1

Wow, sounds like they made some changes and appears I got grandfathered in from before these changes took place.

Jim
Old July 5, 2013, 07:09 AM   #15
Salmoneye

Quote:
We offer a free membership that will allow you to bid on items right away. For security reasons, this option is only available to members who register with a paid, corporate, government or ISP email address. Members that use an email address from a company that offers free email addresses like Hotmail or Yahoo will be charged an activation fee of $1.00. Persons whose registration information is flagged as suspicious by our fraud prevention systems may be charged a $2.00 fee to go through a detailed security check.

SELLING:

To create a safe buying / selling environment, sellers must verify their identity with us. Sellers will be charged a verification fee of $2.00 to go through a detailed security check. This process is required in order to be able to sell. We reserve the right to deny access to site features if we are unable to verify your identity.
http://www.gunbroker.com/user/fees.aspx
Old July 5, 2013, 08:09 AM   #16
NoSecondBest

Quote:
SELLING:

To create a safe buying / selling environment, sellers must verify their identity with us. Sellers will be charged a verification fee of $2.00 to go through a detailed security check. This process is required in order to be able to sell. We reserve the right to deny access to site features if we are unable to verify your identity.
I never sold anything and I never tried to sell anything. They insisted I give them my credit card number and authorize payment of $2.00 a month to continue being a member. At that time I had been a member for about four or five years and they dropped this bomb on me out of the blue. When I refused to give them access to my credit card they started threatening to freeze my account. After getting "reinstated" a couple of times and thinking it was all straightened out they demanded my info again. I still refused and asked them again to have whoever was fixing this problem every month to put a permanent fix in so it wouldn't keep happening. I guess the permanent fix was to lock me out! GB can still KMA!
Old July 5, 2013, 08:45 AM   #17
Dwight55

Quote:
So I keep getting these emails from gunbroker I owe money/ I never sold anything or used gunbroker for a year. Past five months I been getting this.
Also they never sent me any letters (mail) just email, I would think if I did owe money they would send me a hand letter via mail(address on file)
I would really suspect a scam.

I got an email in my spam folder from Verizon, saying my "New Bill" was ready to be opened. I opened it, . . . there was a total of almost a thousand bucks on there, . . . for "Services".

I read through it all, . . . offering to take my credit card if I would only give them the numbers, security code, address, etc.

I kept thinking "Scam, . . . Scam, . . . Scam", . . . and finally figured it out. The email had a slightly different address than the "Real" Verizon.

I just deleted it, . . . never heard from them again. I shudder to think what kind of mess I would have fallen into if I had just blindly paid the charge.

BE CAREFUL !

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old July 5, 2013, 09:18 AM   #18
TXAZ

Anyone with Gunbroker on the board?

I have a GB account but haven't sold or advertised anything, and don't buy much. Haven't seen any $1 or $2 charges either.

It is not clear it's not legit, on the other hand it's also amazing to what depths some scammers will go to gain access to your computer, credit cards or investment accounts.

If someone with Gunbroker is on the board, how about a position on this one.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 5, 2013, 10:25 AM   #19
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

I generally report all scammers I get through e-mail, so my provider can block them. Generally, you can get their IP address from the e-mail header, and do a whois on it. I have found several heading back to some university computers to places like Africa, but the most from Croatia, or former communist block countries.

Now Gunbroker did charge me a $2 one time fee to validate my credit, and I've never had to pay anything else. There are many online businesses who do this. I've been with them now, while including changing my e-mail once, for about five or six years, and have never been asked for anything else.
Old July 5, 2013, 11:51 AM   #20
Ridge_Runner_5

I emailed Gunbroker a year and a half ago and told them to close my account after they wanted to run a credit check on me to SELL something.
Old July 5, 2013, 02:48 PM   #21
skoro

I've had a GB account for over 5 years now. I've made a few purchases but never listed anything for sale. When I initially signed up, they did a $1 charge on one of my credit cards, mostly to verify that I'm not phony, I suppose. Now, I get a monthly statement from them showing that I have a one dollar balance.

Never have encountered the difficulties some of you are mentioning here. Must be frustrating.
Old July 5, 2013, 05:21 PM   #22
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

skoro,

You're right, I think mine was $1 instead of $2. And if I remember, the $1 would be given back on a purchase, and is the reason why they give you a statement saying you have that in an account. It had been so long since I signed up, that I forgot.
Old July 11, 2013, 04:43 PM   #23
Nite Ryder

I've bought and sold on GunBroker for some time. Recently I sold two rifles on GunBroker and both buyers backed out. There was no way to speak to an actual human on GunBroker about these failed sales, so I was still charged for them. Their complete lack of caring about sellers has made me think twice about listing a firearm there again.
Old July 11, 2013, 07:44 PM   #24
Salmoneye

Quote:
I've bought and sold on GunBroker for some time. Recently I sold two rifles on GunBroker and both buyers backed out. There was no way to speak to an actual human on GunBroker about these failed sales, so I was still charged for them. Their complete lack of caring about sellers has made me think twice about listing a firearm there again.
http://www.gunbroker.com/user/NonPay...rOverview.aspx
Old December 10, 2014, 11:33 AM   #25
jvc302

Gunbroker

Gunbroker = dishonest. Stay away!!!
Closed Thread