The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 26, 2013, 04:31 PM   #1
jamer109

Mossberg 18.5" Breach Barrel

Just bought a new 18.5" breach barrel for my 500. This barrel has fiber optic sight. The sight appears to extend into the inside of the barrel jsut a bit. Is this going to be a problem with this type barrel? any info on this would a lot of help. Thanks....
Old January 27, 2013, 02:01 PM   #2
dwaawd

I wouldn't want anything extending inside my barrel. I have used a Dremel tool with a round stone to remove excess threads in the past. That's not possible with the breacher but what you can do is add a small neoprene washer under the sight base to raise the stud out of the barrel. You do that by sanding the washer down gradually, if necessary, until the stud is mostly out while the sight can be centered on the barrel. A drop of blue or red(more permanent) locktite on the threads should insure no movement. Any hardware store would have those washers.

Just curious, is that a factory installed sight or an aftermarket add on? If factory, maybe Mossberg doesn't see it as a problem or thier QC is suspect.