The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old January 19, 2010, 04:21 PM   #1
Chinny33

Where have all the primers gone...doo doo doo

EVERYONE IS OUT OF STOCK, especially small pistol!
Midway USA
Cabelas
BassPro
PowderSupply

any other place to look online?
Proverbs 27:12
Old January 19, 2010, 04:26 PM   #2
Doby45

www.wideners.com

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|284|994
Old January 19, 2010, 04:46 PM   #3
steelman762

I have the same problem no large pistol primers. I would order them on line but the HAZMAT fee doubles the price. Thats the only problem I have with that. I hate to suggest this but this is me. I have substituted small rifle for small pistol. Just yesterday I did the same with large rifle and pistol. I loaded 45acp 230gr LRN 5.5gr unique using WLR primers. Worked great. The spent shells looked ok normal. I measured the bullet speeds at 1050,1054, 1055, 1057fps. I could never realy find an article that detailed primer performance. All that I read seemed dogmatic. Maybe someone can lead me to the light.
Old January 19, 2010, 06:20 PM   #4
Chinny33

thanks doby! I ordered those PMC small pistol primers. they were not the cheapest but what can I say? Zero supply = HIGH demand = HIGHER prices!

SHEESH!
Proverbs 27:12
Old January 19, 2010, 06:29 PM   #5
Bluesfan

Steelman,
1000+ for a 230g acp sounds a little hot. The military velocity is around 850.
Ya might want to get a heavier recoil spring or install a buffer to save your slide. Just a suggestion.
Old January 19, 2010, 07:26 PM   #6
FullCry

It's a pain in the rear.

The primer shortage gets me to because I'm about to get a press and have been all over the internet pricing presses and components. It looks like I'm going to have to buy from three or four companies to get what I need. This sucks because I have enough powder to last a very long time but need primers so I'll have to get them from Wideners and pay the Haz fee then go somewhere else to get the press I want then somewhere else to get bullets. All I see time and again on all components is out of stock, out of stock, out of friggin stock! As many reloaders there are you would think they would keep their products in stock or it's on back order and never available again....so why not remove the item off the list? These companies got a problem and I wish someone would explain to me what is going on with them? Thanks Ps I hope a guns show is coming nearby soon cause that would solve a lot of this bs....no haz fee etc.
Old January 19, 2010, 07:33 PM   #7
Jim243

I thought we were over this, but I guess not. Now if they would teach our troops how to shoot instead of using up thousands of rounds and not hit anything we would have extra primers here.

Just my 2 cents.
Jim
Old January 19, 2010, 11:07 PM   #8
lemming303

Whoa there Jim, I don't know if you are prior military or not, but it is a lot harder to hit your target when you are full of adrenaline from being shot at then you think. If you think buck fever is bad, try being shot at. The military does a pretty good job of teaching marksmanship, especially the Corps, but there is no way to teach how to prevent "buck fever" or "haji fever", whatever you want to call it.
Old January 19, 2010, 11:20 PM   #9
Jim243

Sorry if you took it wrong, I wasn't talking about the Marines they have an excelent program, but the army with only two weeks training on the firing line. Seems more important to learn how to march than shoot. Current statistics on rounds fired per kill is absurd. You can't make it through boot unless you can shoot in the Corp. It was so bad that the army now assigns an advance marksman to each squad who is a semi-sniper with a non-automatic AR that has been enhanced. Might cut down on ammo costs if they reissued the M-14 and used G-5s or 7s for house clearing and the M-14s for battle field clearing.

Jim

Last edited by Jim243; January 19, 2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old January 19, 2010, 11:42 PM   #10
Chaz88

Designated marksmen for a squad have been around for a long time. Also many thousands of rounds are used for tactical reasons without the expectation of inflicting a high casualty rate. Such as suppressive fire to keep the enemy pined down and unable to fire at advancing squads. The myth of one shot one kill only applies to sniper teams.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old January 20, 2010, 12:58 AM   #11
Jim243

Chaz, with all due respect. I understand the concept, but this is not jungle warfare or army against army. And suppresive fire was usually done with a machine gun of 30 caliber (7.62 Nato). If we don't learn from our's or other's mistakes (Russians) we are bound to repeat them. If you think we are going to WIN this war, you don't understand the neighborhood we are fighting in. We are not fighting a professional army, this is their home and they will not stop until they are all dead or kill all that they consider invaders. Each time you kill one of their fathers or brothers, 5 more will rise against you. You will have to put over 1,000,000 men on the ground just to keep the peace. They have time on their side we don't and what we are doing is not working.
Old January 20, 2010, 01:12 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

In every war that America has been involved in the number of rounds expended to number of enemy combatants killed has been astronomical.

That's a simple fact of warfare. The enemy no longer marches toward you across a nice, open field, shoulder to shoulder, They have a vested interest in keeping their heads down, just as our troops do.

To think that a little more range time would somehow result in an enormous drop in the number of rounds expended per dead enemy is simply unrealistic to the extreme.

That said, this subject is quickly wandering off topic. And, given the fact that there have been dozens of threads on the status/availability of primers and ammunition posted here in the past year or so, which the search function will quickly pull up, I'm going to close this now.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread