The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 2, 2000, 06:58 AM   #1
curious

I bought some Sellier & Bellot ammo recently. My problem is when I am shooting at any speed faster than one shot every two seconds I have had the ammo jam at times. This has happened on four different occasions. I have been very careful the last two times out shooting because I thought it may be me double pumping. I never have this problem with federals. Any thoughts? The gun is a 12ga moss 5oo, 6shot(5 shot with S&B they are alittle longer) 2 3/4" ammo.

thanks curious
Old April 12, 2000, 02:03 PM   #2
CMOS

What exactly do you mean by "jam"? Give specific failue mode details.

I also have shot a bunch of S&B #4 and 00 buck in my Benelli. Never a failure.

I have discoverd that I really do not like this ammo specifically because its pattern is at least 2X wider than that of any American made shells I've shot. At 25 yards you're talking about a 6 foot wide pattern. that's not much coverage for your intended target.

Shoot well.

CMOS

------------------
GOA, TSRA, LEAA, NRA, SAF and I vote!
Old April 12, 2000, 02:58 PM   #3
curious

my problem at times is I try either shooting on the move (slow walk) or quick multiple shots standing still. after I fire one or two and attempt to chamber the next round, as I move the slide forward, the shell seems to stick on something and I can't move the slide more than say 2". I then pull back on the slide and the shell is ejected. the next pump is empty because I just ejected it. Now I dry fire and work the slide and the next shell goes in fine. this does not happen every time. That is what makes me wonder if it is me or not. I don't have the same problem with american shells (rem, win, fed). Every time I go out I can expect to have this happen atleast once in 30 shots in the situations described.
Old April 12, 2000, 07:31 PM   #4
Ned Roundtree

I'll jump in with my two cents. I think its the gun not the ammo. My Mossberg 590 takes gentle stroking. I have learned to pull the forarm down and then stroke back and forearm down and then forward. Not a lot, just a little. Otherwise it tends to stick. Just my two cents.