The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2016, 07:53 PM   #1
Bucksnort1

Basic Rule Exception

One of the basic, do not do this, rules in hand loading is to never load for another person. My exception to this is if the person is sitting next to me and monitoring the process. Recently, I loaded some 44 magnum JHPs for a friend. He was my quality control back up. I instructed him on how to use the powder dispenser and how to check charge weight every few throws then to look in all the charged cases, with me, to see if they look the same. I also instructed him to do one step at a time.
Old February 5, 2016, 09:45 PM   #2
Lost Sheep

Personally, I would do it the other way around.

My student opens my manual (his manual), finds the load, and I review.

My student sets the dies (well, OK, maybe I set the dies, then unset them and let my student duplicate my efforts)

My student operates and I oversee.

It may be harder on me, but it is easier on my arm and my student learns how to load more thoroughly.

Just the way I do it.

My first mentor did loading for me and narrated while I watched, with opportunities to ask questions.

Then I loaded some while he watched and reviewed.

The lesson lasted 6 rounds, 3 each. Then I was off and running.

Reloading isn't rocket science, but it does involve smoke and flame and things that move terribly fast. However, if someone can follow a recipe from book to cake and change a tire without losing your lug nuts, they can reload safely and effectively.

Thanks for sharing and giving me an opportunity to share some, too.

Lost Sheep
Old February 5, 2016, 10:03 PM   #3
rtpzwms

Quote:
My student opens my manual (his manual), finds the load, and I review.

My student sets the dies (well, OK, maybe I set the dies, then unset them and let my student duplicate my efforts)

My student operates and I oversee.
This mostly.... Just did this with a student.
Old February 6, 2016, 01:49 AM   #4
Metal god

I understand the point but at the same time why not load for someone if you have there rifle . I've done it more then once . Take a buddy's rifle work up a load using his rifle then give rifle back with 50 or 100 rounds . I helped my dad build an AR his first firearm ever owned age 74 . I worked up a 69gr smk load for that gun as well but the vast majority of what he shoots is cheap factory stuff .

Is it any different then letting a friend shoot your gun and reloads . Is that a no no as well ?? I have to admit I do get a little nervous when my nephew age 16 shoots my guns and reloads . I tell him to pay close attention to anything about the rifle that's different then the last shot , noise , feel etc but I always worry .

If I'm letting a new shooter shoot my guns it's always with factory ammo .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; February 6, 2016 at 04:41 AM.
Old February 6, 2016, 03:42 AM   #5
Jimro

I violate this rule. I tested my loads in my buddies Service Rifle and it functioned fine with no pressure signs. I have no problem with him shooting my reloads for service rifle. I've also worked up hunting loads for other friends big game rifles.

It is really hard to cram enough of the powder I'm using into a .223 case to cause a pressure issue. It is impossible to do a double charge and I've tested that load up to very compressed than dropped down to below max where I found accuracy. Literally impossible to double charge with most well designed rifle hand loads. This does not apply to using pistol powder to make a low recoil load, then it is easy to double charge a rifle case.

Pistol rounds on the other hand scare the heck out of me. I will not shoot someone else's pistol rounds, and I will no longer reload pistol rounds for other people. It is extremely easy to get a double charge in a pistol case.

Jimro
Old February 6, 2016, 09:56 AM   #6
Bucksnort1

And speaking of shooting someone else's rifle reloads, about ten years ago (boy how time flies but, as someone once said, time is fun when you're having flies), I purchased a very nice MTM brand box of 40 each 30-06 reloads at a garage sale. I don't recall the price but I remember it was a smokin' deal. The reloader was not there so I had no one to talk to about the loads. Inside the box were twenty 180 grain Mag Tip cartridges and twenty 180 grain bronze tip cartridges.

There was a piece of paper attached to the inside of the lid with the recipe for the Mag Tips but not the bronze tips. I no longer have the recipe information but what I found, after pulling one bullet, was the powder charge was lower, by a few grains, than what I found for that powder and bullet weight in one of my manuals. The recipe powder is either IMR4831 or IMR4350. I wasn't too concerned about the lower charge but what really got my attention was the powder type (stick, ball, flake, etc) in the case didn't match the powder in the recipe. I never had plans to shoot these cartridges so I will eventually pull the remaining bullets, dump the powder then re-use the cases and bullets.
Old February 6, 2016, 10:53 AM   #7
g.willikers

Years ago, a reloader friend and I invited another friend to learn to use a progressive press.
After showing him the ropes, we kind of lost attention to what he was doing yapping among ourselves.
Somehow or other he managed to load all the primers down the tube upside down.
Yup, he loaded every round that way, with upside down primers.
He did a nice job, though, not a single one went off.
It was hard telling him the bad news.
Old February 6, 2016, 12:04 PM   #8
USMC 77-81

I deviate from the basic rule in so far as my wife shoots my reloads.

1st Marine division, 3rd Marines
Old February 6, 2016, 12:14 PM   #9
Longshot4

I'm my opinion the best way to learn to load is read the manuals. At least two cover to cover. Then get to it slowly and carefully step by stem. As a person gets to know what it takes and understands what is going on then it gets a lot easier. Of course when loading don't allow your self to be disturbed.
Old February 6, 2016, 12:28 PM   #10
buck460XVR

My sons shoot my reloads as do their wives and their children(my grandchildren). I trust my reloading practices enough to know they are safe. I also let other folks shoot my reloads in my guns. I do not reload for folks other than family to use in their firearms and I do not shoot other folk's reloads. Those are my rules and no exceptions.
Old February 6, 2016, 12:41 PM   #11
jdscholer

I NEVER shoot other folks reloads, but I have frequently provided reloads for other shooters. - and I'm about to quit that. There has never been a problem, but I'm thinking that I just don't want to take the chance of having my reloads blamed for an incident that is caused by -- who knows what.

If my buddy "Bubba" blows up his pistol, I don't want either him or me to think it might be because of my reloads. jd
Old February 6, 2016, 02:22 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

Rule is never shoot another person's hand loads. Like Lost Sheep says letting a buddy use your kit isn't the same thing.
Old February 6, 2016, 02:32 PM   #13
briandg

I throw unidentified rounds in a box. I'd never fire anything but my own loads of factory, or buy anything from a questionable source, even gun shows. I offered to let my nephew load with me. I will process his brass, but everything else, charging and seating is his hands. I've done that before.

That won't save me, I'm still going to try in an accident if he is using my tools of any of my supplies. A lawyer will claim that my powder was bad, my primers were bad, data was old or bad, combination was unsafe, defective equipment, but really, there are unlimited avenues of legal attack. An accident proves just in itself that something was wrong, that a mistake was made.

Every one of my in laws will line up to testify how totally stupid I am, and how much I dislike the kid.
Old February 6, 2016, 03:55 PM   #14
BigJimP

I don't have any problem mentoring someone on reloading ...so they can understand the process...or give them suggestions on how they might fix a problem with their reloads .....but reload for them, no !

I do let my family - kids and grandkids shoot my reloads.../ friends, no.

Making and selling reloads - is where the real liability comes in...and its really a bad idea even if you are not making a profit...( profit or not, your insurance company is probably going to look at that as a business...and probably deny a claim). For each of us, our personal liabiltiy insurance for accidents ...comes from our homeowners or renters policies ...and maybe an Umbrella policy in addition the home or renters policies ( in most states )...so read your policy - and see what it says !!

But Liability - and Insurance issues aside ...imagine how bad you would feel if a friend got hurt or blew up a gun --- and your reloads were in the mix of issues that might have let to the issue ...so its easy for me to tell friends that, and tell them no, I don't reload for anyone outside my family.

But as long as you understand your potential liability -- and whether your insurance will pay or not .../ you should evaluate the risk -- and do what suits you.
Old February 6, 2016, 04:06 PM   #15
briandg

I have no concerns about letting anyone I trust and know fire my loads in my weapons. Share the ammo? holy hellballs, no!

I know and trust my ammo on my guns, it's tested safe, and changing the one holding the tool won't change the results. I feel free to set the gun down for a stranger to try. If anyone should happen to fire my loads in his own piece, well, that's double dumbass on him, and I'd gladly knock the stupid out o him to allow a little smart to seep in.

I'm really picky about switching ammo back and forth, too. I keep ,marked brass for my rifles, and the rest of it is loaded and tested carefully to work in any of my matching handguns.

Just FYI, I'd rather take a hit to the head than re-use range pickup rifle brass. Who knows what has been done to it? any that I pick up during a sweep for my own stuff is tossed straight into the recycle bucket. I'm not that pidky about pistol brass, I just inspect carefully and put it into use or storage.
Old February 6, 2016, 04:57 PM   #16
Metal god

It seems there are at least four different aspects to this thread and what is a GO or NO-GO

1) shooting your reloads in a never before known firearm ( friends , family , guy at the range ). That seems like a no brainer . You don't do that .

2) letting others shoot your reloads in your firearms . I think there's a bit of gray area there

3) Working up a load for family or friend and actually using there firearm in load development . I guess there is some gray area there as well but to me it would be more acceptable then not .

4) Then there's this thing about helping someone reload . I have no issues with helping people out . Is that not what we are doing here on this forum . How ever there seems to be some real gray area there as well .

Are you just watching them load one of your confirmed loads and it will be shot in the firearm it was developed for . That seems OK

Watching them load for there own firearm where after they leave , you are out of the loop . Not so sure about that .

With all these self perceived gray areas . I'm really starting to see the value in the blanket statement NO reloading or reloads for anyone other then your self .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; February 7, 2016 at 03:56 AM.
Old February 6, 2016, 05:25 PM   #17
Bucksnort1

A couple of summers ago, I posted a thread about shooting someone else's reloads. I will paraphrase my posting. "When we buy factory ammo or ammo loaded by some of the smaller companies, foreign or domestic, we're shooting someone else's loads." Granted, quality control is probably ultra tight but we're still shooting someone else's loads.
Old February 6, 2016, 06:11 PM   #18
SHR970

I will shoot someone elses reloads provided I know them and know how they operate. I have taught a few friends how to load; I know the level of care that they use.

Want to shoot my gun? Chances are all I have is what I loaded for it. Try at your own risk. Want to try my big boy? If you don't want to use my loads.. a box of factory is north of $100.. feel free to bring a box.

Joe Blow's gun show reloads??? HECK no.

In the past I have been provided with Range ammo for qualification that was made by a Company. IIRC it was Justice Brand... stuff was SO erratic bang bang boom.. pop... check weapon...bang pop.. check weapon...discontinue using it. USA ammo....bang bang bang squib.

Did you rent a gun at the range? Chances are that your choice is factory or THEIR reloads. Sometimes it is ONLY THEIR reloads.

In these forums we have heard stories about AMERC.

Nuff said.
Old February 6, 2016, 11:13 PM   #19
briandg

Metal, I can agree with what I think you are saying.

Nothing can make you safe if you put potentially dangerous products into another person's hands. The smart thing to do is just not do it.

I personally run the risk once in a while and push into the gray areas.