The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2016, 01:53 PM   #1
Savage .204

Rub marks on my primer.

Hello. I had a quick question for any one willing to answer. On the last few batches of bullets I have hand loaded I've noticed that after I load the bullet and lock my bolt then pull the bullet out there is a rub mark on my primer. I have cleaned my primer pockets and seated the primers all the way. But i am still getting rub marks on my primers. Has any one had this problem? If so if you could let me know how to fix it it would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old February 5, 2016, 02:49 PM   #2
chris in va

Try to post a picture if you can. Photobucket is a decent hosting site.

But just visualizing your question, are the primers seated below flush with the case head or at-flush? The bolt has to push against something and if the primer is even a micron above, you'll get some contact marks.
Old February 5, 2016, 03:02 PM   #3
mkl

Sounds like your primer may be too high.

First lay a straight edge across the case head and see if there is any space between the top of the primer and the case head itself. The primer should be seated a few thousands below the case head into the primer pocket.

I can think of a couple of things that could cause your issue:

1. You are not really seating the primers all the way down.
2. There is a small burr on you bolt face.

Check around the firing pin hole on you bolt and verify that there is no burr that could be scratching the primers.

If bolt is okay, and the primers are too high it is possible that your primer pocket is too shallow (you said you cleaned the pockets, so I'm assuming residue build up at the bottom is not the issue).

A primer pocket uniformer may be required. This tool will make sure your pockets are in the correct depth and diameter. I once had a bag of 100 new unprimed cases from Winchester that had 25 percent bad pockets; a QC problem at the factory. If the pockets are too shallow you need something like this:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod34720.aspx

Other manufactures make a similar tool but this is the only one I have ever used. I don't use the handle but just chuck the uniformer in my drill press at around 500 rpm. The uniformer corrects for both depth and diameter assuming both are on the under spec size.
Old February 5, 2016, 03:03 PM   #4
Sevens

Are we to assume you are talking about a bolt action rifle? It's not 100% clear.

Have you inspected the bolt face itself to insure that it is totally flat, clean and not peening at all?
Old February 5, 2016, 06:41 PM   #5
Longshot4

The last time I recall having rub marks on a primer or any thing close to it was in my Ruger super Blackhawk. The problem was the primer pockets were not uniformed. Order the Redding uniformer tool for small and large primers. The uniformer cuts your primer pockets to a exact size and depth (specification). The tool is cheep and primers will fit just right. The problem in this case was the primer pocket was not deep enough for the primer to seat below the head stamp.

Since you have not specified what type of weapon you are working with. I hope this helps.
Old February 6, 2016, 11:05 AM   #6
F. Guffey

A primer that is not seated flush or below the case head will not stand up straight on a flat surface. I am not talking about a case head that is not perpendicular with the case body. I made a tool for checking that problem.

And then there is always ‘measure before and again after’.

Protruding primers, a reloader does not want primers that protrude from the case head. There is always a chance powder can trickle down through the flash hold and into the primer. When that happes the reloader must consider there is a possibility there is no room ahead of the primer for seating when the slide. Auto feed bolt hits the primer.

Same ‘O’ thing when pulling bullets with the inertia hammer.

F. Guffey