The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 14, 2004, 01:01 AM   #1
Shep Madera

Low Report loads for .22 Hornet?

I have neighbors close enough they might take offense at my activities out back. I'd like to hear of any experiences/suggestions toward crafting a low report load for the .22 Hornet. My range is 25 to 50 yards with a 30-inch barrel. Thanks. Shep.
Old November 14, 2004, 03:17 AM   #2
Leftoverdj

I don't do .22 Hornet, but I do .25-20 which is probably close enough. For low report, you have to stay under the speed of sound which means cast bullets, and you need to use a very fast powder. Less powder you use, the less gas comes out of the muzzle and the slower it comes.

You need the cast bullets because it is very easy to get a jacketed bullet stuck and very hard to get one unstuck. Lead bullets don't stick easily and are easily knocked out when they do.

Plain base are preferred for this work. No point to a GC at this velocity and they are an expense and a nuisance to put on.
Old November 14, 2004, 08:24 AM   #3
mete

At that range the 22lr works well for anything . I use a RWS subsonic HP which is very quiet.For the Hornet you would have to drop the velocity to about 1000 fps with fast powder as leftoverdj says.