The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 21, 2002, 02:46 PM   #1
Logistar

Revolver timing problem?

If the primer (.38 Special) is being hit off center, does that indicate a timing problem on a revolver?

The primer is being struck about halfway from dead center to the outer edge of the primer. The gun seems to be reliable and accurate. Should I be concerned?

THANKS!
Old January 21, 2002, 03:27 PM   #2
kurt IA.

Is it off center to the right or left, or up and down? Could be a off center fireing pin too.
Old January 21, 2002, 03:34 PM   #3
Logistar

I just noticed it. I am not any kind of expert about this. I just wondered if this might be a sign of a developing problem.

I will look at it again after work. If I can't see what it is doing, I will take it back to the range in the next day or two.

THANKS!
Old January 21, 2002, 06:19 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Might just be the way that gun strikes em.

Have somebody (with glasses on of course) hold a sheet of paper bout six inches out from the side, center even with the cylinder to barrel gap. Nuther sheet for other side.

Both sheets should shot lots of powder n junk but NO pieces of bullet.

No bullet pieces, no gross timing problem.

Sam
Old January 22, 2002, 12:42 AM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

It should be easy to determine, using an empty gun, whether the cylinder is coming into alignment and locking up properly. If the gun uses a firing pin on the hammer, alignment can also be checked simply by looking down the barrel (EMPTY GUN!) and seeing if the chambers line up.

Also, what brand of revolver is it? This should not happen with a modern American revolver or something like a Korth, but such things are common with some of the cheap revolvers imported a while back or with some of the Spanish guns of the 1920 period.

Jim
Old January 22, 2002, 09:57 AM   #6
Logistar

Sounds like GREAT advice! I will try these things ASAP.

The gun is a .38 special F.I.E. Titan Tiger with 4-in barrel. I bought it new about 20 years ago. It probably has less than 600 rounds in it. (It wasn't fired for several years.)

I just like this gun. I guess after reading a lot of posts here on TFL, I may be getting a bit paranoid about malfunctions and reliability.

From what I am hearing there may be nothing wrong with it but I will check it out as you guys have instructed.

I REALLY appreciate the advice. Maybe one day I can do a better job of contributing ideas to the board but I still have a lot to learn.

Thanks!

Logistar
Old January 22, 2002, 01:48 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Logistar,

I am glad your Titan revolver works OK, but it is not one of the high quality revolvers. If it is reliable and functions well, there really is no problem. As a personal matter, I would prefer something a bit better for serious purposes.

Also, your revolver is not rated for +P or +P+ ammunition, so stick to moderate power .38 Special and you should be OK.

Jim