The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2009, 07:41 AM   #1
k3new

Primers question

Been off the handloading wagon for about 20 year... I have gotten a new press, and have begun buying supplies, primarily pistol stuff. I will be doing 98 percent 38/357 and 45 ACP. Vendors at shows are beginning to both ration purchases and have spotty supplies.

For general plinking loads Bulleye/W231, will loads be significantly affected by switching between standard and magnum primers? I am not overly concerned but curious.

Thanks in advance,

Joe
Old May 3, 2009, 07:44 AM   #2
45Marlin carbine

use standard primers for BullsEye.
I've never used 231 so don't know for sure but it's used by a buddy to load for .45acp and he IIRC uses std lp's.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:41 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

You can use magnum primers for Bullseye and 231, but you probably do not want to do so if you are pushing the upper limits of your loading data. Magnum primers can push pressures up, especially with very fast burning powders.

During the last primer shortage in the early 1990s all I could get was small pistol magnum, so I loaded several hundred .38 Spls. with a mid-power load of 231.

Never noticed a single problem.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:00 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

test to know

I very often test lesser-power loads with numerous and varied primers, and find the biggest difference, all other things being exactly equal, to be demonstrated accuracy.
I assume nothing, because until I test I am unable to determine which primer choice will 'work best'.

Test for yourself in your guns.......but never at maximum charge levels.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:02 AM   #5
PBKing

Mike Irwin

No doubt.

S P Mag was all that was available here as well then.

Had to work up all my loads with them and have been using SPM exclusively since.

Truth be told the Wolf SPM is not a bad option in 5.56 in a pinch with a ball powder.
Old May 3, 2009, 03:43 PM   #6
k3new

Thanks all. Appreciate the feedback.
Old May 4, 2009, 11:27 AM   #7
SL1

Actually, I have used mag primers to clean-up LIGHT loads, where I am not worried about adding about 5,000 psi to the peak pressure. The better ingnition sometimes helps light charges burn more completely.

But, I would NOT do that in a GUN that was designed for low pressures.

SL1
Old May 5, 2009, 03:54 PM   #8
James R. Burke

Mike is correct. I mainly just load for the .357Mag I use Win-296 with a CCI Mag primer. Works great, but start at the bottom, and work up. The guys at the range call it the big boom powder. It is loud.
Old May 5, 2009, 04:08 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

WW 296 is a much slower burning powder than what would normally be used in a .38 Spl.

For quite some time Winchester recommended their magnum primers be used with 296.

I never found it to be absolutely necessary, but I did use a LOT of crimp.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.