The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 15, 2001, 11:44 PM   #1
AndABeer

Horsehide vs. cowhide holsters as related to Kimber Black Oxide

I have been tickled poopless with my current carry rig of a Kimber Custom Eclipse in a Kramer horsehide vertical scabbard. There was minimal break in and now the holster seems like it was custom fit for this particular pistol.

I had some other Kramer cowhide products (crossdraw being one) that were laying in the back of the safe and decided to see if they provided the same properties. The pistol had lain over night wrapped in waxed paper in the holster first before I put the pistol into the holster naked. This has always worked for me in the past as far as break in. The pistol went in fine but on trying to draw it would not budge. For a minute I thought I might have to cut the thing out. Finally, with some creative twisting, it came free.

Now I had heard that other Eclipse owners were having trouble with the black oxide finish sticking in the holster. I blew this off as bs. However, I am now wondering if this is an advantage of horsehide over cowhide that I was not aware of. Or perhaps my horsehide holster was treated differently and is just "slicker". They both feel the same as far as roughness on the inside of the holster.

"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts." Unknown