The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 23, 2012, 12:06 AM   #1
riggins_83

IWB holster choices

For those carrying IWB what holster are you using and why? What do you like and not like about your holster?
Old November 23, 2012, 12:10 AM   #2
riggins_83

I use a Comptac Infidel and have for about a year now. Using the infidel clip I can have the holster centered on my right hip belt loop ( the perfect position for me) without the holster moving around. The magazine release is covered by the holster so there's very little chance of release having pressure while holstered. In addition since it's a kydex holster there's a nice tension and fit to the gun via the trigger guard; it's either holstered or it's not, no in between.

About two months ago one of the screws holding the clip came loose and fell out. While replacing the screw I noticed a small crack in the clip itself (and replaced the clip for good measure). Once every couple months I check tension on the screws; with a good inspection and tension check I don't worry. The clip allows the holster to be removed and put back on without taking off the belt or having to struggle with loops.

Last edited by riggins_83; November 23, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old November 23, 2012, 12:11 AM   #3
jimbob86

Bianchi 100. Keeps the gun close to the body. Easily removed if I have to go into a GFZ.
Old November 23, 2012, 12:32 AM   #4
BarryLee

I have two Milt Sparks holsters one is a Versa Max 2 for SIG P229 the other a Sumer Special for GLOCK 26. They are both very well made and seem to have held up well.

The Versa Max to be honest is probably about as close to perfect as I suspect an IWB holster can be. It is thin and wide which really seems to distribute the weight of an all metal gun nicely. I find this holster to be very comfortable and easy to wear when sitting, walking, driving and pretty much any activity within reason.

The Summer Special is small and easy to conceal and as the name implies seems good for summer. The only issue I have noted with the Summer Special is with a small gun it is so short that it feels as if it might slip out of the top of my pants at times. It never really does, but again it just sometimes feels that way.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 23, 2012, 03:24 AM   #5
TAKtical

I use a Taktical holster. Primarily because I make them myself and a custom, made to fit holster will always be more comfortable than assembly line types. An added bonus is that I dont have to spend $60+ for good quality holster. Having a holster custom made is really the way to go if you tried a crossbreed or comp-tac and there were maybe a couple things that you didnt like about it. You can have a holster made to your exact specifications rather than try to work with a one size fits all kind of holster.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old November 23, 2012, 07:00 AM   #6
rebs

Quote:
I make custom holsters and carriers for concealed carry, competition, and tactical applications. All of my holsters are $40
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504782
TAKtical is offline Report Post
I clicked on the link and it said I did not have privileges to view that page.
Old November 23, 2012, 07:04 AM   #7
Nathan

Milt Sparks.
Comfortable and holds the gun well. Holding the gun at the proper location, angles, etc is what keeps a holster out of the drawer and on you hip.
Old November 23, 2012, 07:06 AM   #8
foxytwo

I have two Kholsters, one is on me at all times. Very reasonably priced.
Old November 23, 2012, 01:35 PM   #9
TAKtical

Its a direct link to my for sale thread in the buy, sell, trade, holsters gear and accessories section.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old November 23, 2012, 08:05 PM   #10
jmhyer

Galco King Tuk for my M&P9. There is nothing that I do not like about it. Having tried a half-dozen others, this is the style that works best for me.
Old November 23, 2012, 09:41 PM   #11
Captains1911

Crossbreed. There's nothing about it I don't like, and i like it more than any holster I've tried, including some already mentioned in this thread.
Old November 25, 2012, 06:48 PM   #12
Pat T

Comp-Tac CTAC, makes my Glock 19 completely invisible. And you get the Smarties too!
Old November 25, 2012, 08:32 PM   #13
AK103K

In cooler weather, lately its been a Sparks VMII. Nice, stable holster, but a little pricey for what you get.

Once things warm up, and things are "damp" all day, a Blade tech IWB. Kydex beats leather, hands down, once you start to sweat.
Old November 25, 2012, 09:12 PM   #14
ccbricker

VMII. Very Comfortable and secure while providing the correct draw angle and grip access for my taste.
Old November 28, 2012, 03:29 PM   #15
MagnumWill

Crossbreed supertuck deluxe in horsehide leather. I carry a 3" officer's frame 1911 in it, and it's wonderful. I know for a fact it'll be the only IWB holster that gun rides in, ever.

A friend of mine also had a PPS in a Comptac Minotaur, and that was a sweet holster as well. It looks a lot like the crossbreed, but it has a couple more features, like if you want to change out the kydex to fit a different gun (frankly I like dedicated holsters, but I only have one carry gun). It's great too, but I'm not thrilled with the plastic clips it comes with - the crossbreed has metal ones that will last a very long time.
Old November 29, 2012, 01:57 AM   #16
scsov509

Another vote for Milt Sparks. I've used the VMII, but much prefer the Summer Special for my EDC.
Old November 29, 2012, 04:00 AM   #17
MLeake

Most of my fitted IWB holsters are Sam Andrews MacDaniels. Sam's holsters use top grade leather, have very durable stitching, and are spring steel reinforced to ensure ease of draw and holstering against belt and waistband tension. To me, they epitomize craftsmanship.

Disclosure: I know Sam, and he is a quality gentleman.

I recently discovered Remora holsters for unfitted, general transport purposes. They work amazingly well with a reasonable range of pistols in a given holster size, and cost very little. Remora also has very responsive sales reps, and quick delivery.
Old November 29, 2012, 04:45 AM   #18
Mike40-11

Desantis Cozy Partner for a 5" 1911 and a Sig 228. Crossbreed Supertuck for a Keltec PF9. I had a Crossbreed for the 1911s but never used it much. My daughter took it and LOVES it. The only IWB she's been able to use for a full size pistol. She's all of about 110 lbs.

Key advantage of the Desantis is that they're very easy to slip on and off in the car. The big Crossbreed for the 1911 wears well but I need to be standing up somewhere private to install it.
Old December 17, 2012, 04:56 PM   #19
tkglazie

I am loving my new Crossbreed Microclip (Sig P238).

I just got it and it feels like it is a part of me already. Extremely light, very thin.

Last edited by tkglazie; December 17, 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:47 PM   #20
ROSANGHAL

Milt Sparks VM2 for either my 1911 or Glock 19/23.

It is extremely comfortable and the belt loops are not on the body of the holster which helps in not being too bulky. It's a little pricey but worth every penny.

I've also used a ton of other holsters and the VM2 is the best of the bunch.
Old December 17, 2012, 09:28 PM   #21
banditbigdog

After a lot of Internet searching for some reason I decided upon TT Gunleathers "Mikes Special"
Some of the positive things I read and appealed to me we a pretty steep cant angle and the depth it seats below the waistband.
After many months of carry I am very satisified with this holster.
Especially like the depth of the carry which make printing pretty much none existant.
Only thing, if I'm on a long car trip (2 + hours) I'll switch to my Kramer which is slighly more confortable as it does not sit quite so low.

Tags
carry , concealed , holster , iwb