The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 26, 2011, 08:34 AM   #1
j-bird

Finally added a conversion to my humble collection!

The gun store close to my house here in Fort Worth just also happens to maintain a small inventory of guns for the CAS crowd. Even though I have never participated in cowboy action shooting, I’ve always loved guns of the Old West. I saw this Uberti 1871 Richards-Mason 38 conversion (4-3/4” barrel) and had to have it.

One nagging question sombody can answer for me - and I may just be paranoid; the box clearly says it’s 38 special, but the barrel is stamped “38 Colt & 38 S&W SPEC”. This does mean “normal”, modern 38 special, right? Does that mean it can shoot 38 Colt and 38 special? The instructons simply say to use only the caliber the gun is made for.

I plan to make a nice, wall-mounted display case to show them off - similar to the presentation cases I built and posted on all those years ago (seems like years anyhow).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CowboyGunsWEB_v2.jpg (124.9 KB, 99 views)
Old January 26, 2011, 08:35 AM   #2
DiscoRacing

Nice...Congrats..

..dont know the answer to your question tho
Old January 26, 2011, 09:04 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

regular 38 special likely fits... personally on an open top, I'd only shoot cowboy loads in 38 special... hotter or +p loads will not be nice to your revolver...

I have a one off custom my buddy built on a replica pocket colt that now shoots 32 S&W... I guess I don't like it as much as my top break originals of that era in 32 S&W, but it sure is interesting...

BTW... nice looking guns...
Old January 26, 2011, 10:24 AM   #4
Hardcase

.38 S&W and .38 Colt are essentially the same round - S&W is a round nosed bullet, Colt is flat.

It is not .38 Special! Your gun is designed for a .361" bullet so, safety precautions aside, accuracy would be less than optimal.

EDIT: OK, it turns out that my reading comprehension skills are pretty terrible. I guess that if it says .38 S&W SPEC, that means .38 Special. But if it chambers a .38 Colt, I would say that my comment about accuracy holds.

You could always slug the barrel, then you'll know for sure.
Old January 26, 2011, 11:13 AM   #5
MJN77

I have one with a 7 1/2 inch barrel.

.38 special and .38 colt cowboy loads or full charge BP loads are what this gun is meant for. No modern +p hot stuff or full metal jackets. Use what it is supposed to eat, and it's a great little gun. By the by, a modern .38 colt is the same as a .38 special, it is just about a 1/4 inch shorter. Original .38 colt cartridges were loaded with a heel based bullet like a .22. The bullet was bigger (.375) than the modern bullets (.357)

Last edited by MJN77; January 26, 2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old January 26, 2011, 12:02 PM   #6
j-bird

Thanks Guys. That's what I was thinking. MJN77, I love the finish on that 'ol shoot'n iron! Did you do it yourself?
Old January 26, 2011, 04:27 PM   #7
MJN77

Thanks j-bird. Your's aint so bad either. When I got the revolver, it was a Cimarron "original" finish. It looked pretty bad. The finish had a texture to it. I sanded it smooth, and did a half-a$$ed cold blue job to it. Then oiled it. That is how it turned out. I like it.
Old January 26, 2011, 05:17 PM   #8
ClemBert

Kewl! I like it!!!
Old January 27, 2011, 12:48 AM   #9
Ideal Tool

Hello, j-bird. Perhaps Uberti bored & rifled the barrel for modern .357/.358 dia. bullets? If so, the markings would make sense. You could call them to make sure..or slug the bore. I have a Kirst Konverter cylinder on my early
1970 era Colt re-make of the 1851 navy squareback. Had to use hollow-base bullets, but with light charges of Bullseye, it shoots quite accurate. These guns bring the FUN back into shooting!
Old January 27, 2011, 02:12 PM   #10
Tanker6

A little late to the party......

I have two Uberti-made, Taylor's in 1871-72 Open Tops (which are quite similar but with some differences) in the same caliber (with 4 3/4" barrels) I shoot in SASS matches. I shoot 38 special in them. I agree with a prior post that suggests to stay away from the "hot" or +P loads. I shoot "cowboy loads" of 125 gn or 158 gn at 700-800 fps without issue. Accuracy is very good. I cut the center out of a playing card at 7 yards in a side match last month.