The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 22, 2001, 07:04 PM   #1
MadScientist

anybody ever stick a deprimer pin through their finger?

The other night I learned that watching SNL and reloading do not mix. While depriming, I went to move my hand out of the way after placing a case in the chuck and my finger wouldn't come along. Seems my lever hand caught up to my case-positioning hand and I put the deprimer pin through the end of my pointer finger, narrowly missing the bone.
I now have a new respect for the leverage of the loading handle. The thing popped the deprimer pin through my finger nail like it was a piece of paper.
Old October 22, 2001, 08:09 PM   #2
capbuster

If you have never pulled something stupid, then you havent done much living. At least you fessed up to it.Take care.
Old October 22, 2001, 08:30 PM   #3
uglygun

OH GOD YES! Only did it once and hope to never do it again.

Was working through a lot of around one hundred 38 special cases out in my friend's garage while it was cold out, my fingers were sorta cold and I was trying to hurry. All of a sudden through a miracle of compound mechanical leverage, RIGHT TO THE BONE THAT DECAPPING PIN SANK! This was quite a few years back but if I look hard I can still see the scar on my right index finger.

But I think I got off lucky, some people have managed to take a piece of their finger off when a sharp edge of the case mouth came up and caught their finger shearing the skin right off. NOW THAT HAS GOT TO TICKLE!
Old October 22, 2001, 08:36 PM   #4
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

" ... when a sharp edge of the case mouth came up and caught their finger ... "

Guilty - coupla times. No skin lose but there's this funny bio-feedback thing that says "Hey Stupid! Whatever you're doing that hurts so much - quit it!" Even with no brass & you "just" catch your finger with the ram, it'll make you wonder why you do things like that.

Impressive crushing power with a press. Got myself a D550 now & can crush more fingers faster ....
Old October 22, 2001, 09:33 PM   #5
Good Guy

from the school of hard knocks.....

Not with the decapping pin. But once, many moons ago, when I was marathon loading 700 rounds of handgun ammo on a single stage press, I did get my thumb caught between the ram and the press frame. OUCH! Made one helluva impressive flap cut.
Old October 22, 2001, 09:59 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

I took a crescent out of my finger a couple of years ago, and also crushed the fingertip between the ram and the seating die.

That one made me pretty queasy...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 22, 2001, 10:00 PM   #7
Big Bunny

Finger crusher press -new!

Me too, a blood-blister was painful until lanced. Rockchucker press used with 40S&W cases.

I too will be more careful in future - a cautionary tale indeed.

Thanks for posting it, it was important that you felt you could share the incident with us all. Safety first.

BB
Old October 22, 2001, 10:26 PM   #8
Jack Straw

Even the short handle on a Lyman lubrisizer has quite a bit of leverage. I was sizing some round nosed .45 LC bullets and the top punch to fit those bullets has a sharp edge and is almost a full .45" in diameter...basically a 1/2 inch hole puncher. I had my left index finger between the ram and the top punch when gravity did its thing to the lever. I wound up with a .45 inch perfectly round circle punched into the back of my finger just below the nail. For 2 weeks, every time I bent that knuckle I would pop open a part of the cut...not much fun when you work with paint solvents. That's the sort of burn that just brings tears to your eyes.

Jack
Old October 22, 2001, 10:36 PM   #9
seadog

Squashed my digit too. Slowed my rate down considerably that day. Big flap avulsion pulling a hunk of skin off. It will definitely light you up...You have no conception of the leverage involved until that happens...
Old October 22, 2001, 10:50 PM   #10
KP95DAO

Yes, a beveled case mouth will take a chunk out. About 25 years ago. Much more careful since then.
Old October 23, 2001, 12:49 AM   #11
Freedom in theSkies

I caught my finger between the bottom of the sizing die and the top of the case ONCE.
If I was centered a bit better, I could have punched a chunk of meat out that sure as sh#t would have made a great little bullet. I don't think it would feed real well in my .45 though.

Old October 23, 2001, 10:10 AM   #12
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

YEP, sure have.

Smarts, doesn't it?

All these stories are giving me contractions, way south of my belt buckle.

Best,
Johnny
Old October 23, 2001, 11:40 AM   #13
Hawkman

Never a depriming pin, but I did put a screwdriver blade completely through my finger one time.

I have injured myself with tools so many times my wife has 911 on speed dial.
Old October 23, 2001, 05:27 PM   #14
Cheapo

Yuup!

And I'd thankfully forgotten it until you posted this blankety-blank thread!
Old October 23, 2001, 09:01 PM   #15
slickpuppy

You guys are getting in too big of a hurry. Slow down and take a chill pill dudes.
Old October 23, 2001, 09:06 PM   #16
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Hey slickpup, load about 50K+ rounds on a stinkin' single stage press & you'll get pinched at least a coupla times.

Figure at least 2X operations per loaded rifle round & 3X+ for straight-walled pistol & we be talking serious potential for at least one (OK, 5 or more) screw-ups.
Old October 23, 2001, 09:09 PM   #17
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Been there, hurt that.
Old October 24, 2001, 11:47 AM   #18
Long Path

Back when I was a little kid...

...and Dad was shooting a bunch of IPSC matches, I used to get called out to the garage to help him reload .45 acp on his little RCBS single stage press. To move things along, he would put the case on the shellholder, actuate the lever, and I would remove the case. We'd move along pretty swooft like that. But remember that biofeedback thingy that labgrade was talking about? You don't have that with this method of reloading. Both of us got stuck or pinched once or twice.

So far, though, I've not managed to put a decapping pin through my finger. Just against it, rather hard.

Do be careful, won't you?

-L.P.
Old October 24, 2001, 10:14 PM   #19
swampgator

In high school shop class, drilling holes in something (I don't remember), anyway the teacher asks me a question and I look over as I raise the drill.
Drilled a 1/4" bit through my left index finger. Missed both nail and bone. Mr Cable has this look of sheer panic and asks what I'm going to do.
I ask if this is a reversible drill?
Damn that hurt.
Old October 24, 2001, 11:49 PM   #20
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. Yes, I did that once years ago. Didn't go all the way through the finger, just to the bone. I've never repeated it for some reason! Best.
Old October 28, 2001, 09:27 PM   #21
bdhawk

bad memories!!

yep, i impaled my fingernail with the deprimer pin and cut the other side of my finger with the brass. it also felt like i had smashed my finger, too. i am glad i wasn't in sunday school 'cause a couple of profanities slipped out (the air turned blue). i betcha it won't happen again.
Old October 30, 2001, 10:14 AM   #22
muzzletalk

Nope not yet but then I have only been realoding for about 5 years... I sure it will happen sooner or later...