The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 14, 2009, 08:51 PM   #1
Uncle Buck

Unbelievable!

Today was not my day. I get to where I am hunting this morning, park my scooter and decide it was a comfortable place to sit. Thinking about the hunting regulations here in Missouri and musing about the fun I am going to have trying to get my deer out with my scooter. (It wasn't going to happen.)
It is starting to get light out, so I figure I better call the wife and let her know I have made it in to my hunting area with no problem, before she comes looking for me.
So I light a cigarette, dial the cell phone and wait for her to answer. I look to my right and there is a beautiful six-point buck. He is 20 feet from me if he is a yard! He is standing there, snorting at me. Now in Missouri he would be legal if he had four points on one side. He did not have four points on either side. He had three. I swear he was standing there making sure I knew that he knew I could not take him. After a few minutes he walked away, but not before giving me the hoof. If he had four fingers, it would have been a very recognizable gesture.
Three more smaller bucks came by, each acting as if they did not have a care in the world (and I guess they did not!). I got to wondering: 1. Is someone telling these deer they are safe from harvest? 2. Have the deer set up a little chop shop somewhere to have tines removed?
I have never seen such blaring disrespect for a hunter in my entire short life! What is getting into these deer?

Well, this evening I saw three does, though they were big, they were too far to shoot at. Maybe tomorrow.

Last edited by Uncle Buck; November 15, 2009 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Changed Dear to Deer
Old November 14, 2009, 10:47 PM   #2
Willie Lowman

So you can't shoot a buck under 7 points? That's dumb.
Old November 14, 2009, 10:57 PM   #3
Swampghost

Cell phone in the woods? Wife looking for him in the woods? I'm missing a large portion of this joke.
Old November 14, 2009, 11:40 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Quote:
So you can't shoot a buck under 7 points? That's dumb.
If the regs are like those of states I have investigated, it's just a matter of 4 tines on one side. The buck could only have one antler, but if it has 4 tines... it's legal.
Old November 14, 2009, 11:45 PM   #5
javabum

Maybe it is the new wildlife czar and the new union he set up for them that's making them so bold.....:barf:
Hope the next day brings you better results.

NRA Life member
Old November 15, 2009, 12:40 AM   #6
robfromga

Deer, not dear
Old November 15, 2009, 12:46 AM   #7
armoredman

Oh, dear.
Old November 15, 2009, 01:02 AM   #8
Uncle Buck

Corrected. Oh, Dear, I wanted to shoot a deer.

I have to carry a cell phone with me when I am out of the house. After a following a few to many military orders and three failed back surgeries, I have a bad habit of falling down (hence the scooter). Sometimes when I fall, I am unable to stand again and need to call for help. My dear wife worries so much about me, she would wander the woods looking for me if I did not call her. Hhmmm, maybe I could use that ploy to get her to push a deer towards me?

The way I read the hunting regulations, any deer with one antler that has four tines is legal to harvest. So a one antlered deer or a deer with four points on one side and two one the other would be legal.
Old November 15, 2009, 01:42 AM   #9
NikonHunter

Sometimes you gotta swear them darn deer have read the regs too and just know what you can and can not do. LOL!

Is this antler restriction a typical thing or a recent temporary rule to help manage the herd?

iSnipe
Old November 15, 2009, 06:32 AM   #10
CajunBass

What's wrong with letting someone you care about and who cares about you know that you got somewhere safely so they don't worry?
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old November 15, 2009, 08:14 AM   #11
shortwave

Remember 'a bad day hunting is better than a good day at work'. That said I now what your saying. I had a young buck hang out at my stand for several days. So long I named him. Part of him hanging around was my fault. Its rut here and every time he would go to walk off I`d hit my grunt call and he would turn,bristle all up and come back all stiff legged.. He was my entertainment for several days.
Old November 15, 2009, 08:52 PM   #12
camper4lyfe

That ranks up with my experience yesterday. I'm using a borrowed stand that I don't like climbing in and out of when I can see, so I won't hunt it in the morning, or at night. Anyway, I got to the stand a bit before 10am, tied my bow up, and was getting ready to climb up when I hear a commotion about 15 yds in front of me. I look at see a nice rack coming out of the brush. I quickly untied my bow, pulled out an arrow, knocked it, squatted down, and waited. When the deer got behind the tree, I drew the bow. It took a few more steps, and stopped, in the perfect spot for me to see it from the neck up, with its body hiding behind a bunch of brush. All I could do was try to pick a spot in front of it hoping I could get a shot at it there, but it bounded away, never to be seen again.

Had it been gun season, my day would have been over before I even got into the stand.
Old November 15, 2009, 11:28 PM   #13
Bosshoff

Nothing Cajun, you are dead on.
Old November 15, 2009, 11:51 PM   #14
Swampghost

I hunt mostly private ranches with game mangers in charge. This year the bucks on the #1 ranch have to be 8 pts. That's a BIG deer around here.

I'm thinking of going to a WMA to put meat in the freezer.