The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2009, 02:13 PM   #1
Birdman86

reloading questions pertaining to primers

just got started reloading. deprimed the once-fired cases fine.

1) Are you supposed to clean the inside of the fired cases and the primer pocket? they arent "dirty ie. mud" but there is powder residue.

2) when i primed the first couple cases using the rcbs rockchucker's priming arm, the primers look like they're not perfectly lined up with the thing that inserts the primer. i test fired them empty in my rifle and they discharge fine, but they don't look "factory ammo pretty"
Old January 21, 2009, 02:56 PM   #2
whiplash

rifle primers pockets I do clean, and use a bristle brush for the inside necks...but handgun primer pockets I let go until it really starts to look like its due a cleaning. I have read most people (with the handgun brass), its just a personal preference, not really required. I know its an extra cost, but the RCBS hand primer works really good (the universal one), for me. Also, a tumbler will help clean the inside. I am not even going to open the can of what some people do to clean the inside......such as washer/dishwasher/and all kinds of home brew reciepes of fluid cleaners...oh crap, I opened it up didnt I?
Old January 21, 2009, 04:53 PM   #3
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

i prefer to clean my brass completely with a tumbler using walnut media. That way I know my dies are safe from being scratched. I deprime all my brass BEFORE I tumble it with a universal decapper...helps keep media cleaner. Tumblers are worth their weight in gold. Usually takes about 3 or so hours to clean brass in my tumbler with a little polish added. Now everyone below me is gonna give you their recipes for cleaning brass. Here we go............

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old January 21, 2009, 05:15 PM   #4
goldfacade

annnnnd....were off

Buy a tumbler, its essential for the reloader. Buy your media at Wal-Mart in the pet section sold as Lizard Bedding. Take a used fabric softener sheet cut into 1" squares and put into the tumbler with brass then run for ~3 hours. The sheet acts as a dust collector.
Old January 21, 2009, 05:26 PM   #5
flashhole

That's a good idea with the fabric softener sheets.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old January 21, 2009, 05:47 PM   #6
goldfacade

Make sure you use a used one or you be made fun of at the range (sissy smelling bullets).
Old January 21, 2009, 07:45 PM   #7
Birdman86

recomendation on a tumbler?

i see the Lyman Turbo Pro 1200 Case Tumbler 110 Volt on sale for $45.* is this a good one or am i getting what i pay for?

and i solved my problem with the primers. A)i was using a large primer pin with a small rifle primer (.223) and it wasn't quite right.. B) the pmc brass i was reloading has a damn crimp in it.

Last edited by Birdman86; January 21, 2009 at 10:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old January 21, 2009, 07:47 PM   #8
flashhole

How much? Where is it advertised on sale?

Are you ready for civil war?
Old January 21, 2009, 07:51 PM   #9
That'll Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman86
i see the Lyman Turbo Pro 1200 Case Tumbler 110 Volt on sale for $5. is this a good one or am i getting what i pay for?

and i solved my problem with the primers. A)i was using a large primer pin with a small rifle primer (.223) and it wasn't quite right.. B) the pmc brass i was reloading has a damn crimp in it.
The Lyman Turbo Pro 1200 is a great tumbler, I have one, and I have no complaints. Did you mean you found it on sale for $50? Your previous post said $5–if that's the case, let me know where you saw that–I'll buy a bunch of them!