The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 14, 2007, 04:39 PM   #1
kestak

Blue dot mistake

Greetings,

You know the feeling: Aaaaaaaaaah [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]!!!!!!!!!!!

I just loaded 50 cartridges 357 Mag 158 gr over 10.2 gr of Blue dot with Wolf Magnum primers.

Blue dot does not require magnum primers
The maximum is 10.7 gr of blue dot for that kind of load.

Question: Do i discard those rounds or I can shoot them with no problem?

Thank you
Old December 14, 2007, 05:02 PM   #2
crowbeaner

That depends on a number of factors; first can the gun withstand heavy loads? If so I don't think 1/2 grain less with a mag. primer will be too stiff. Blue Dot is one of the slower Alliant powders, and I've shot heavier charges than that with cast bullets. I used to shoot 11.0 with 162 swcs. Of course lead swages down easier than j bullets so only dropping the hammer on a cylinder full will tell. CB.
Old December 14, 2007, 05:43 PM   #3
Scorch

That load should be fine. It will give you about 1,100 fps. My load for 357 out of the old Hornady book was higher than what you are loading and was nowhere close to max load, and I never had any problems. Recent reloading manuals have reduced 357 and 44 mag laods by about 10%-15% over what was considered safe until very recently.
Old December 14, 2007, 10:51 PM   #4
joneb

It may depend on the gun you are shooting, I load 10.4-10.6 of Blue Dot for a 4" Colt Trooper and a 2.75" Security Six with 158gr JHP's and Small pistol primers. Your load should be fine but if you're shooting them out of a J frame it maybe unpleasant.
Old December 15, 2007, 03:21 AM   #5
red-rider

If your unsure about the load, set them aside, work up to the load like you would from scratch.
Old December 15, 2007, 03:48 AM   #6
joneb

Quote:
If your unsure about the load, set them aside, work up to the load like you would from scratch.
Good answer
Old December 15, 2007, 07:32 AM   #7
kestak

Greetings,

I went to the range yesterday (just before my company Xmas party)., brought my Taurus revolver, 5 rounds with the mag primers, and 2 with no mag primer, gloves, protective glasses, googles and my earmuffs (of course).

I talked to 2 old timers that I know (they are always there) and I was told it should not be a problem at all.

I put one round in the revolver and shot it. No issue. Then I shot the 4 reminding rounds and no issue at all.

I shot the 2 with non mag primer and did not notice any difference in sound, recoil or flash.

I'll just switch back to non mag primers and keep the 45 reminding rounds and shoot them.

Thank you