The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 1, 2007, 10:22 PM   #1
FP-74

lee pro-1000 autodisk question

finally figured out how my new Lee pro-1000 works (boy those instructions sure are sketchy) loading 38 special using win 231 and 158g lswc bullets. before i go too crazy, i'm supposed to load 4.2g to start if i'm reading this chart correctly, i should use .40 disk. chart says this disk is 4.3g. am i reading this right? i don't have a grain scale yet ( i know i should) all the loaded shells weigh the same in a digital scale, only reads oz or grams.
does this all sound like its making sense?
and if anyone is loading the same, is that what your using?
thanks, Gary
Old December 2, 2007, 02:21 AM   #2
TexasSeaRay

That's the press and round and powder I started off with. I"ve since switched powders and don't load much 231 too often. Great all around powder and a good one to break you into reloading.

I can't remember which measure on the powder disk gave me my preferred grains.

I do know that you're crazy for reloading without a set of scales. You graduate to insane if you actually fire those rounds not knowing exactly how much powder is in them.

Different powders can give you different weights going through those powder disks. You can get a lot of powder and little air with a fine powder like AA#2. You can get less using a course, larger grain powder like Unique.

Get a set of scales and do NOT trust what is in the Lee guide or any other guide. Even a cheap set of scales can be had for less than forty bucks. (How much did you pay for your gun?)

Remember, in reloading as in so much of everything else, the best rule of thumb is "Trust, but verify."

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old December 2, 2007, 04:09 AM   #3
Sigma 40 Blaster

I have to agree with TexasSeaRay, do not trust the Auto-Disk conversion chart. I use Unique for my handgun loadings and I have to use two cavity sizes bigger than the chart says to use.

Midway has a cheap little digital scale for $25, replace the batteries as soon as you get the scale with new quality batteries and you're good to go. The powder...density I guess, seems to change a little from container to container. I verify that the disk is still throwing about the same charge (.2 variance tops) and go to town re-checking periodically. Keep the hopper full of powder and crank em out.

I loaded approx. 500 .380 bullets trusting that the Auto Disk was correct, 3 out of 5 is a very light charge. No squibs yet but I don't shoot it much because it's nerve racking. You're not likely to do an overcharge but a squib can be just as dangerous, if not more. Spend a little more time and money to save yourself time, money, and possible injury or worse by getting a scale.
Old December 2, 2007, 06:49 AM   #4
gopack

You do need a powder scale for the Lee Pro Autodisk. I just set up a Pro 1000. The 0.53 disk loaded Bullseye consistently at 4.6 gr rather than the 5.0 in the chart. I switched to Unique and found that the .57 disk consistently loaded at 4.0 rather than 5.2 grains. I then checked the Lee website and found out they had a problem with "fine" powders like Unique. Looks like the right disk may change by powder type.
Old December 2, 2007, 06:53 AM   #5
rwilson452

The chart will get you in the general area of the desired weight but not good enough. get a scale. if you order a scale from midway I suggest you get the Lee adjustable charge bar at the same time. I always found the charge I wanted was between two holes. It's a little more work to set up the charge bar at first but it doesn't require you to dissasemble the measure to change throw weight.
Old December 2, 2007, 08:51 AM   #6
RNG

FP-74 -
+1 on what the others said.

Yes, you are reading the charge disk/chart properly. .40 will give you 4.3grs of w231.

Just a suggestion--

GET A SCALE

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=712103

At a minimum the Lee scale will work. From what I read others recommend the RCBS 505 or 510 are supposed to be pretty good. Wish I had spent the money up front and gotten one of these.

I use w231 with the pro auto disk and it meters very consistantly. I still weigh my initial charges to verify they're spot on.

Be sure to setup your Pro Auto disk per the lee video. If you don't you could end up with a low charge. ESPECIALLY if you use the LEE charge bar with with charges less than 3.5gr of w231. I use the Lee Micro-Disk to throw charges UP to 2.9gr. With the disks that ship with the Pro Auto Disk your minimum w231 charge is 3.2gr. If I need something between 2.9 & 3.2gr I'll use the charge bar but VERIFY - and DOUBLE VERIFY (visually) the powder level in case. The charge bar DOES NOT take kindly to a mis-adjusted chain or a short stroke of the press lever.

Richard

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/Hel...tachment-1.wmv
Old December 2, 2007, 09:56 AM   #7
FP-74

ok choice of 2 scales from midway

OK, Great advice! (I will NOT fire the relaods i made (only 12) i'll order a scale today either the lee balance or the franklin electronic.
i'm leaning tword the lee. but the electronic scale is appealing for the price... i suppose they are selling them at such a savings because they aren't so good (even though the got a lot of good reviews also many bad ones).
i had the lee before and it worked fine. no electronics to get flakey.
Your thoughts?
Thanks again, Gary
Old December 2, 2007, 11:24 AM   #8
rwilson452

The Lee safety scale is very accurate but difficult to read. It's also limited to 100 gr. It's OK for powder but not useful for bullets.
Old December 2, 2007, 12:52 PM   #9
TexasSeaRay

I started with one of the Lee scales. They are fine if you are on a budget. In fact, I still have that first one on my reloading bench.

But, it didn't take long for me to upgrade to nicer RCBS when the reloading bug had bitten harder and sunk in for good.

Important thing right now is to verify your charges. When I first got the press, I verified every round for the first ten to fifteen, then every other round, then I did a random "pull the round before I seat/crimp the bullet stage and verifiy the charge."

What I've found is once I get my disk and powder combo set up, as long as I operate the press the way I'm supposed to, it's very accurate and very consistent. Can't ask for anything more.

One other thing I'd strongly consider, and that is a kinetic bullet puller. Ask any reloader why . . .

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old December 2, 2007, 06:41 PM   #10
Sigma 40 Blaster

I have the Frankford Arsenal, have used it for about eight months. I was skeptical but bought it, put new batteries and cleaned the contacts like the reviews say to and it has been great. It holds a zero and is accurate to .1 grain. I bought some RCBS check weights and it's accuracy holds from 1 grain to 100 grains.

Those balance scales are OK but are slow, tedious, and if you move them you have to re-zero them. The Frankford is good for a budget reloader who isn't shooting benchrest. If you need super duper uber consistency the big RCBS is the one to get.
Old December 5, 2007, 11:41 AM   #11
ForneyRider

I have the Pro 1000 setup for 41 mag.

I have been going very slowly and eye-balling each case when it comes round to the bullet seating die.

I use the 1.26cc hole for H110. This setup is pretty limited.

There are the double-disk kit and the adjustable Pro auto disk available as upgrades.

I plan on getting the Lee breech press kit, for my rifle loads, which comes with a scale.
Old December 12, 2007, 02:28 PM   #12
thomas44

I used to have a Lee Auto-disk and threw the thing away because of too many squib loads. I tried to keep an eye on it, but after I bilged the barrel on my CZ 75, I pitched the darn thing. Now all my loads are metered out with a Redding measure. Yes, it takes more time, but I'm okay with that.