The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 27, 2009, 06:13 PM   #1
SigP6Carry

Iver Johnson Sealed 8 questions

I've got a couple of old revolvers that I inherited from my grandfather. I was interested in using them, but I have one question that I can't figure out..... is the Iver Johnson Sealed 8 DAO? There doesn't seem to be any single action function on the gun and I'm thinking it might just be broken. I'm actually really confused by this, how can it be a "target" revolver without single action?
Old August 27, 2009, 06:47 PM   #2
hhb

IJ Sealed 8

My first handgun was an Iver Johnson Sealed Eight .22 revolver, and it was double/single action. Pain to pull the pin, remove the cylinder, and punch out the fired cases, but it was accurate.
Old August 27, 2009, 07:03 PM   #3
SigP6Carry

yeah, that's the exact gun. Lord knows how old it is or the last time it was fired. Everything seems in order with it, except for the action. I guess I'll take it to a smithy.
Old August 27, 2009, 10:23 PM   #4
ComradeChris

The DOA in the name stands for Double Action Only. So the gun is designed to fire only in double action. It is not broken.
Old August 27, 2009, 10:37 PM   #5
Sport45

My Target Sealed 8 is SA/DA, but it doesn't have DAO stamped as part of the name. If yours does then it is double action only as ComradeChis stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhb
Pain to pull the pin, remove the cylinder, and punch out the fired cases, but it was accurate.
Didn't yours have a slot in the recoil shield for loading and unloading?
Old August 28, 2009, 08:52 AM   #6
SigP6Carry

it doesn't have DAO stamped on it, the hammer just don't notch at half cock or full cock. I thought that it was perhaps a DAO revolver, which would be counterintuitive for a .22 revolver with the sits built into the hammer. And the Sealed 8 does have a "loading gate" on the back plate, unfortunately, there's no ejector rod. I've heard of people using dowels to punch rounds out, but I just used the cylinder pin.
Old August 29, 2009, 11:07 PM   #7
Sport45

Quote:
I've heard of people using dowels to punch rounds out, but I just used the cylinder pin.
I just use an old allen wrench.

Quote:
Everything seems in order with it, except for the action. I guess I'll take it to a smithy.
Mine was handed down from family too. But I wouldn't take it to a 'smith because the gun just isn't worth much dollar-wise and most modern 'smiths have never seen the insides of one. I adjusted the hand on mine so that the cylinder would index with the barrel. After that I shot it eight times, cleaned it up and relegated it to display only status. When it's passed down to one of my sons he might do the same thing.

Some parts are available from Numrich, but keep in mind that they are used and just as old as your gun.
Old August 30, 2009, 05:42 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have worked on a lot of those guns and never saw or heard of one that was DAO from the factory. Either the sear is broken, the sear spring is broken or the hammer notches are broken out, or all of the above. Try www.gunpartscorp.com for parts, but they might not have them.

Jim
Old August 30, 2009, 06:05 PM   #9
wingman

It's broke for sure hammer should remain back(single action) in my opinion
they were better guns then many produced today I would get it fixed and
use it.
Old August 30, 2009, 07:26 PM   #10
Tom2

IF you can find a part to fix it, and it is in nice shape otherwise, it might be worth it for you to fix it if you want it as a shooter and get alot of use out. Otherwise to fix and sell, you are gonna get market value no matter how much you spend fixing it. Unless you sell it broken, which case you will get relative peanuts. But I guess the minimum trade in on a gun is whatever the gun buyback program pays, if they still do those. Little .22 revolvers are fun guns, unless you get down to the trash imports or something. Lot of fun for the money, anyway.
Old August 31, 2009, 10:32 AM   #11
SigP6Carry

Does anyone by chance have a schematic for this? I just popped the hammer spring and hammer out, the notches on the hammer itself are perfectly fine, but there's nothing that I can ascertain it to hook onto in the gun. It still functions and fires, in DA, but loading and unloading it is a bit of a pain (and very ghetto looking). I'm hoping that it's a simple "pop the hammer in at this angle and it catches again."

edit: I actually found a schematic. It's missing the sear and sear spring. But, I found the 1900 DA parts on gunbroker, which should be interchangeable with the Sealed 8. So, here's hoping that soon I won't be loading this thing all ghetto.

Last edited by SigP6Carry; August 31, 2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old September 1, 2009, 07:01 PM   #12
SigP6Carry

I've actually got a bit of a range report on the gun from today. Today was the first time I've fired this in a long time (it was my grandfather's and we used to go plinking in the country) and I'm a little appalled by it. The timing on it was fine and it wasn't shaving much, if any lead, but the shots were all over the place. I'm not sure if it was due to it being DAO (I still need those parts) or if it was due to the gun itself. at 5 yards, I only placed a few of the 150 rounds I fired today in the dead center of a "25 yard pistol target." I'm hoping that once I get the SA function back in that it will fire much more accurately in SA.

I was also really disappointed in the Winchester 555 rounds (36gr hollowpoints) as they really mucked up the gun. I stopped firing after only 150 rounds because the rounds began getting harder and harder to seat in the cylinders. I took it home, cleaned it out and the rounds went right back to popping in and out. I guess, until I eat up these rounds, I'll be cleaning my IJ pretty often.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

edit: I also found out that the 555 .22lr cylces and fires beautifully out of Walther P22's, if anyone was wondering.
Old September 4, 2009, 09:25 PM   #13
Wakethor

My Supershot Sealed 8 is a Topbreak and the rounds are automatically ejected as you open. It has double action but I never use, man what a pull.
Old September 9, 2009, 12:06 PM   #14
SigP6Carry

my bad on this: it's actually dead on accurate when I pull the trigger to SA point, hold it and aim correctly. It turns out I just didn't know how to use it. Silly me.