The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 23, 2008, 11:27 PM   #1
ptbrophy

What do I have here..........

I just received a small rifle,and I have no idea what it is.........It has a 22 and a quarter inch barrel.The barrel is octagon,with two sights,front and rear,and both appear to be able to move sideways only.It has a hammer that is around 3/4 ona an inch long,and it has a round pad that is the hammer pad.The hammer pad is round with a reised line that I am assuming is the firing pin,of sorts.
The gun has no name on it,and no numbers that I can find.It is a small caliber,possibly 22 cal.....?
The stock is one piece,with a raised cheek pad,and a small amount of checkering located behind the triggers,yes triggers.....It has two,however the gun is a single shot.At the very rear of the barrel,breech,is a small piece that is used to remove the spent round.The trigger guard is sort of elaborate with several curls and such.
The butt plate is metal and curved.It is fastened with two screws,one on the back,and the second is it at the top,as the butt plate is continued up and over the top of the stock for about 2 inches.
On the under side of the barrel located 7 and 3/4 inched from the front,is a swival mount.It appears to be brased on the barrel,and factory done.

I would be thankful for any information on the piece,and the possible value.

Thanks,Patrick

Great site,I just found it.
Old January 24, 2008, 01:01 AM   #2
Scorch

Almost sounds like a Favorite, but I have never seen one that was not marked. Can you post a picture? Does this rifle have proof marks? If so, what do they look like? A lot of old imported rifles look like you are describing.
Old January 24, 2008, 07:21 AM   #3
J F Cooper

Rifle

It;s possibly a Belgian Flobert or a variation thereof..It probably has Belgian proofs on the bottom of the barrel..JFC
Old January 24, 2008, 08:45 AM   #4
SDC

The hammer with the raised ridge acting as a firing pin sounds like a typical Belgian Flobert; you'll get more info if you post pictures, especially of the proof marks.
Old January 24, 2008, 09:16 AM   #5
ptbrophy

I am not sure what these proof marks are that you are refering to,but I can see no numbers or any marks that could mean anything.I will take some photos of the rifle,and when my Daughter comes over today she can sent them.I do not know how,as I am still in the stone age............Thanks for the help.
Old January 24, 2008, 12:39 PM   #6
J F Cooper

ptbrophy wrote " I can see no numbers or marks that could mean anything" If they're on there, they mean something, maybe not to you, But they do mean someting...JFC
Old January 24, 2008, 01:46 PM   #7
SDC

Proof marks are little stamps in the metal that look like the stamps in this .pdf ( https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/P...Proofmarks.pdf ); they tell where a given gun has been certified safe for sale (and therefore, where a gun has been built or imported; some countries say that foreign guns also have to undergo domestic proofs before they can be sold in the new country). These will almost always be found on the barrel and/or receiver.
Old January 24, 2008, 08:40 PM   #8
ptbrophy

This is the only photo I could muster..............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0106 (2).jpg (209.1 KB, 90 views)
Old January 24, 2008, 10:09 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Yes, that is a Flobert rifle. DO NOT TRY TO FIRE IT! The only "lock" on those guns is the momentum of the hammer/breechblock when it goes forward to fire the cartridge. They were made for very low power cartridges, with which that system was safe enough. But some will accept modern .22 Short or Long Rifle cartridges and even though they are of brass and thicker, they can fire.

If that happens, the breechblock will be forced open by the pressure, and the empty case will be propelled backward with a lot of force DIRECTLY INTO THE SHOOTER'S EYE!!

There is a small collector interest, but not enough to bring the value over $100. If it were mine, I would consider plugging the chamber or otherwise deactivating it.

Jim
Old January 24, 2008, 10:28 PM   #10
ptbrophy

Thanks for the information everyone....great site,I have a few more questions on some other guns.I will post them at a later time.

Patrick