The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 19, 2012, 04:45 PM   #1
PParcells

AR barrel to AK?

i have sort of an interesting project planned.

i recently bought an AK pistol, and being as how i already have a rifle, a shotgun, and a handgun, i'd like to do something neat.

what i thought about doing, was putting a nicer pistol grip on it, a small quad rail and folding bipod, a side-mount PSOP scope, and having this sort of like a mini Designated Marskman Carbine, that easily fits in my pelican case.

i am aware that i cant attach a stock, or forward grip, and i'm ok with that. but the real meat of my project here, is that i would really like to convert this gun to 6.5 Grendel. it is my understanding that my existing 7.62 bolt will work, mags will need some fiddling, and obviously, i need a new barrel. it it possible to mate a 12" AR barrel to my AK pistol? i did a google search, but wasnt able to turn up much info.

thanks in advance guys.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:37 PM   #2
Creeper

Mark Krebs built a one of a kind test AK in 6.5X38mm (Grendel)... David Fortier tested it not too long ago. Contact him for ideas on a barrel.
Old December 20, 2012, 07:25 AM   #3
45_auto

Quote:
it it possible to mate a 12" AR barrel to my AK pistol?
Shouldn't be much of a problem if you have a machine shop handy.

Machine a new AR barrel extension that will fit the AK trunnion and mate with the AK bolt.
Old December 20, 2012, 12:09 PM   #4
PParcells

i actually do have a machine shope handy. i was hoping that it would be as simple as turning down the barrel to fit the ak, but i'm not usually that lucky.

so now for a new question, any good places for a cheap 6.5 AR barrel? and i say cheap, in case i mess up. if this works out as planned, maybe i'll do a little bit nicer.

thanks for the help guys.
Old December 21, 2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Gunplummer

Try "The Gun Parts Corp." for a 6.5 blank. I don't know what you need the extension for. You are putting it on an AK receiver, right? About 30-35 years ago I had a .223 Finnish AK made by Valmet so you could probably get magazines if you want to go .223 instead of 6.5.
Old December 22, 2012, 01:17 PM   #6
triggerman770

the 6.5 grendel rounds will fit in the AR mags only can get 25 in a 30 round mah. doubtful to find a"cheap" 6.5 grendel barrel
www.georgiacarry.org
Old December 22, 2012, 01:59 PM   #7
tobnpr

Out of my league on the machining end of this, but a 6.5 (.264) barrel blank is not hard to find, it's the grendel/lbc chambering that would be the sticking point.

Probably not too difficult to get the proper reamer, but machining the blank to fit the AK trunnion is way above my pay grade.

The mag comment is an interesting one. AK mags are curved because of the unique taper of the 7.62 x 39 cartridge- and I know there are issues with other straight-wall bottleneck cartridges on AK caliber conversions because of the tapered mags. I would expect there would be issues because of this.

Let us know if you move forward with it, not an easy project by any means but sounds interesting.
Old December 22, 2012, 11:30 PM   #8
Gunplummer

Good AK's are threaded, junkie ones (Chinese) have the barrels cross-pinned in. I don't think you should mess with it, you don't understand the basic concept of how a barrel interacts with a bolt.
Old December 23, 2012, 05:35 PM   #9
PParcells

...I don't? That's news to me... I'm glad you told me. I'll immediately abandon all of my projects that require knowledge, learning, and basic understanding.
Old December 24, 2012, 12:21 AM   #10
Gunplummer

I know the truth hurts, but best you find out early.
Old December 24, 2012, 01:30 AM   #11
PParcells

Man, if you want to be a troll, do it somewhere else. This is hardly the place for it.

And Creeper, I'm going to hit up Mark Krebs and Bill alexander tomorrow and see what they think. I also saw something somewhere about red jacket doing one for a guy, aaaand about a 6.5 vepr. I'll let everyone know what I come up with when I hear back. Wouldn't be surprised if it took a while, due to the holidays and how busy everyone is given recent events.

This is going to be a neat project. Thanks guys.