The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 11, 2007, 04:53 PM   #1
iceman_51

.38 diamondback special

hey everyone
i have a colt .38 diamond back special here that has been sitting around my dads friends house for a long time it looks in good shape, the guns trigger and hammer still function correctly but the bullet cradle (couldnt think of the right word at the moment) is stuck and will not come away from the main body of the gun. so if anyone could help me out that would be great. it seems as if the gun had rusted a little when it was just sitting in storage.

the iceman
Old March 11, 2007, 08:14 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

These Colt revolvers are HIGH DOLLAR guns theses days, and the mechanism is very complicated.

Even most gunsmiths are NOT qualified to work on them, due to the very complicated Colt action.

I strongly recommend sending the gun in to Colt for a proper repair.
The Colt Diamondback is simply too valuable to risk further damage by letting an unqualified Non-Colt gunsmith to work on it.

As to why the cylinder is stuck shut, this is something that's just not possible to diagnose over the internet.

My advice is to NOT start hammering on it trying to get it open or taking any internet advise about squirting something in it trying to get it open.

Send it in to Colt.