The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2005, 09:38 PM   #1
BigSlick

Need some help, in the middle of a batch

Hi guys,

I picked up some once fired today from a new shop that just opened. They are trying to specialize in reloading stuff, so I decided to try to help them get off to a good start by dropping a few bucks.

Once fired 45, cost me $7.00 per hundred. The price is a little high, but I figured a small sample would be better than a butt load at first.

Mixed headstamp with the following :

Winchester 24
S&B - 3
R-P - 16
WW - 14
CBC - 3
RA - 1
Aguila - 16
TZZ - 12
Federal - 19

That means they were packaged with a few extras to allow for problem cases. I did have a few. The RA has a military crimp as did two of the TZZ. No biggie, just a PITA.

Four of the Winchester have what appears to be oversized flash holes. Looks like someone took a flash hole uniformer to them and got a little crazy.

One R-P has a flash hole that is nearly 1/8" in diameter.

Questions:

Can anyone identify the CBC and RA headstamps ? How about the oversized flash holes ? Useable or trash ?

Thanks

BigSlick
Old February 5, 2005, 11:09 PM   #2
Nnobby45

Nice of you to help him out. He didn't do much for you, though. I use assorted "range brass" of different makes and mfg, but not at that price. Call Midway, for a start, and have them send you a catalog. 800-243-3220. You can sometimes get bulk once fired brass very reasonably.

I recommend getting started with good brass until you get the hang of reloading, since all the variations in the brass, especially primer pockets that are different, make smooth, trouble free loading difficult. Forget 100. Your looking for bulk 500, 1000, or more, ONCE you find what you like. CBC is good brass and ammo and comes from Brazil.
Old February 5, 2005, 11:14 PM   #3
Jim Watson

CBC is Magtech from Brazil. OK brass.
RA is Remington Arms milsurp.

The large flashhole Winchester is first generation Winclean that had lead free primers. It is ok to reload. I dunno about the large hole RP, didn't know they were making unleaded, but it is probably safe with a below max load.

I keep mixed brass like that separate for IDPA where the accuracy requirement is not great and I haven't lost much if some runs away in the grass.
Old February 5, 2005, 11:19 PM   #4
impact

The winchester with the big flash hole is Win Clean brass. The CBC is Magtech. Don't know what the RA is. To reload the mixed brass is ok for range ammo. I go to the range and pick up 2 to 3 thousand rounds. Then I sort the brass and only use the same head stamp for competition use.