The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 18, 2013, 06:43 PM   #26
ClydeFrog

watch closely.....

If you ever saw the hit action comedy, Beverly Hills Cop II(1987), watch it again or get it.
In the chase scene where the stunt man stand-in for actor Eddie Murphy runs & climbs onto the truck, you can clearly see his prop P35 Hi-Power fall out of his pants then tumble down the street.
It's quick but easy to spot.
A good reason to use a level II holster or gear. Lol.

CF
www.IMDb.com
Old June 18, 2013, 07:12 PM   #27
shuler13

Must I use a holster?

To just get to the range and back you don't need a holster. But you do need to secure it. Pistol rugs are the easiest. Range bags are the most popular option.

My range does not allow drawing from a holster or re-holstering at the line. To many idjits making mistakes and putting others at risk.
Old June 18, 2013, 08:40 PM   #28
jackpine

OK I'll be more clear on this. I have known plenty of folks that have had firearms stolen because they left them at the shooting bench or unsecured with there other shooting gear. If it's not on your person lock it up. At the range lock it or carry it.
Old June 18, 2013, 08:52 PM   #29
FireForged

If you own a pistol... it needs a holster.
Old June 18, 2013, 09:07 PM   #30
shuler13

Must I use a holster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
If you own a pistol... it needs a holster.
I disagree. I have plenty that will never be holstered. I have a holster for any pistol I plan to carry. Most don't qualify.
Old June 19, 2013, 05:28 AM   #31
Theohazard

Quote:
Mike19 posted
is there any reason I can't just stick the pistol inside my belt or waistband? I've tried it in the house and it seems reasonably safe/secure. I'm going to transport the pistol in a locked case which I will open inside the range.
OP, you still haven't explained your question. Why do you think you need to stick your gun in your waistband or a holster? Are you planning to practice drawing the gun and then shooting? Or are you under the impression that ranges require holsters for some reason?

Quote:
Mike19 posted
I just watched a video on indoor range safety and they didn't even use a holster. The instructor brought his gun into the range in a carrying bag, put the bag on the table at the firing line, took the gun out and put it on the table, did his firing, put the gun back in the bag and then headed out for lunch.
I'm really confused here. What is the point of this post? Why would someone need to use a holster at a range if they already have a carrying case for their handgun?

I've been to many ranges in my life, and I've never been to (or heard of one) that required a holster; if you bring your handgun to the line in a case you're fine. And many don't allow drawing from a holster at all.
Old June 19, 2013, 09:46 AM   #32
FireForged

Quote:
I disagree. I have plenty that will never be holstered. I have a holster for any pistol I plan to carry. Most don't qualify

That's like saying you don't need to wear a seatbelt unless you are leaving the neighborhood.

I guess it would be better to say: "if you own a pistol, you should probably in the most reasonable sense of the word- own a holster for it"
Old June 19, 2013, 01:27 PM   #33
shuler13

Must I use a holster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
That's like saying you don't need to wear a seatbelt unless you are leaving the neighborhood.

I guess it would be better to say: "if you own a pistol, you should probably in the most reasonable sense of the word- own a holster for it"
I still disagree. I have numerous pistols that go from safe-> range bag-> firing line bench -> range bag -> safe. They don't need a holster at any time. They are range guns and that is it. I have others that have holsters for that I carry concealed regularly. And I have some that have holsters for any ranch walking. If someone doesn't plan on using anywhere but the range. If not for hunting, drills, competition, nor for protection, why buy a holster for it?
Old June 19, 2013, 01:53 PM   #34
Old_Dog

If you do not carry you do not need a holster. You do not seem to be familiar with shooting ranges. There is no need to holster a gun there and if you do as you say, any range/safety officer worth their salt will call you on it. A gun case will do. What you are suggesting is a dangerous practice. Every negligent discharge we had in my town last year was due to guns being carried without a holster.
Old June 19, 2013, 03:35 PM   #35
WV_gunner

Holsters are only good if you plan to carry the gun. Otherwise you are wasting your money. I don't have a holster for every handgun I own.
Old June 19, 2013, 03:54 PM   #36
jimbob86

Holsters are necessary for things you want to carry with you, and not have in your hands, yet be handy at the same time.

My daughter would not have killed 2 phones in as many years if she had them in holsters. Instead, she sticks them in her waistband or sets them down if she needs both hands for something ....... one dived into the toilet, and the other got set on the roof of her car ...... and jumped off as she turned onto the highway ...... and was run over by a large truck.

I don't see any need for a holster for a gun you don't have to have handy: Safe to rangebag to firing line and reverse.

For guns that you need to have handy, practice with the holster is as important as any other part of the system.
Old June 19, 2013, 10:25 PM   #37
jackpine

I'll put this another way. Would you leave $500 or $1,000 sitting out or would you put it in a holster or at least a strong box? Then why not your firearm that costs as much?
Old June 20, 2013, 12:02 AM   #38
Mike19

I am the OP.

I started this thread becuase I was under the mistaken impression that I would need to carry my gun in a holster (or in something) at this soon to open in-door range. I've never been to an in-door range before. I'll just use a zippered pouch that I have to transport the gun to/from and within the range.

I'm still gonna get a cheap holster just to practice drawing for fun.
Old June 22, 2013, 11:56 AM   #39
jackpine

Quote:
I am the OP.

I started this thread becuase I was under the mistaken impression that I would need to carry my gun in a holster (or in something) at this soon to open in-door range. I've never been to an in-door range before. I'll just use a zippered pouch that I have to transport the gun to/from and within the range.

I'm still gonna get a cheap holster just to practice drawing for fun.
Sounds like a solid plan. Uncle mikes kydex is a good choice and for a bit more you could go with bladetech

Have fun and good luck to ya
Old June 23, 2013, 08:30 PM   #40
Shadow9mm

a holster does 2 things, keep you from accidentally shooting the gun when you got to grab it, and protects it from getting banged againts things as well as falling out and getting dropped. either take it in a range bag or pistol case, or get a holster. carrying it in the waistband is asking for nothing but trouble.
Old June 24, 2013, 07:03 AM   #41
sig220mwxxxx

The gun case you have will probably be sufficient for the range unless they have rules that I would call extreme. However, I would still get a holster. You will be surprised how much you will like and use a quality holster once acquired. Sort of like a cordless drill, once you get one you find reasons to use it.
Old June 24, 2013, 03:37 PM   #42
spacemanspiff

Maybe some don't like that they have to put their belt through the loops of a holster? It kind of is an inconvenience.

Solution? Try a tuckable holster. I have one for my 1911 from High Noon. Easy to slide it inside my waist, and easily comes right out.

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/
The Alter Ego is what I use.
http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...alter_ego.html
Old June 24, 2013, 07:04 PM   #43
SgtLumpy

That HighNoon holster seems insanely expensive for the style holster it is. Galco sells one that looks very much like it for about $35. I never have a problem paying good money for something. But $120 or $170 for an IWB that nobody sees is beyond what I'd consider reasonable.

I hope it's a great holster.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 26, 2013, 08:27 PM   #44
Captains1911

I agree with most, if you don't plan on carrying it, or taking a class with it, you don't need a holster. I have many holsters. I also have many guns that I do not have holsters for. It's all comes down to use.
Old June 27, 2013, 05:37 PM   #45
spacemanspiff

That High Noon Holster has been serving me for the last ten years. I'd say it was a good investment.

We pay hundreds, (sometimes thousands) of dollars for the guns we use to defend our homes, target shoot, hunt, and everything inbetween. Why quibble over buying an item that has both function and quality?

I also ask why people will ride around on bicycles that cost thousands of dollars but they are too cheap to buy a lock for the bike?
Or those who drive expensive cars but don't want to pay a few bucks in a privately owned pay-for-parking lot?

SgtLumpy, back to your original questions, I own several holsters. Variety of styles, some inexpensive, some that are well over $100. The holsters I use most often because of the way they conceal the gun, as well as how comfortable they are to wear on my hip all day long are the more expensive ones. The cheap ones, rarely get used.