The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 4, 2013, 07:26 PM   #26
sc928porsche

Most of the Ruger Hawkeye series are available in 300WM.
Old February 4, 2013, 08:36 PM   #27
Liambobbi

Have u thought about the tc icon
Old February 4, 2013, 08:45 PM   #28
TROOPER2

Check out the savage 116....i love it....i have 1 in 270 and 1 in 300 mag both shoot 3/4 ins. at 100 yards
Old February 4, 2013, 09:01 PM   #29
lefteye

I bought a Browning A-Bolt lefthand .300 Win Mag many years ago from a dealer at a gun show that had already sold the same model in 7mm Rem Mag. I hunt only with handloads. My A-bolt has taken 3 elk with one shot each at short to moderate range. The best shot, however, was a heart shot on a 120-130 lb black bear in the Bob Marshall Wilderness at more than 400 yards. The rifle is consistently MOA or better with the right handloads. BUT, one is not a large enough sample to to evaluate quality. I would not be reluctant to buy a Remington 700, Winchester 70, Ruger 77 or virtually any other bolt action rifle of equal or higher price. And, while I don't like the appearance of a black synthetic stock and a stainless steel action and barrel, I prefer SS and a synthetic stock for rugged hunting terrain.
Old February 6, 2013, 12:55 AM   #30
edward hogan

Think I would be looking at a .300 WSM rather than a .300 win mag. The .300 Short ultra mag even a bit more preferred.

Do you handload? Is barrel life important to you? The more powder you burn the faster goes your throat and accuracy. The SAUM is the most efficient magnum velocity ctg, although some will tout the WSSM case. A SAUM in a Remington Model 7 if you want lightweight and compact would be very fine.

The primo magnum target/tactical rifle these days is, to my mind, the FN-Herstal in .300 wsm. A winchester 70 is comparable, but not made with chrome-lined barrel.

A .30-06 Ackley Improved will deliver velocities approaching magnum levels IF you are using heavy bullets. The .30/284 wildcat will duplicate the .30-06 in a smaller more compact case and in a long action will allow much bullet seating flexibility.

The .300 Win mag has a short neck and the belt which can be overcome by having gunsmith set the barrel forward so headspace is on the neck.

Barrel life of the .30-06 should last into 5000+ rds. Do the AI chamber and your brass will last longer and you get a bit more power. The .284 case has the .35 degree neck which gives the long brass life. In a world where custom dies were not an extra expense, and .284 win brass easy to come by, I think the .30/284 is the ticket. Magnums get their power from mucho powder and if you get barrel life over 1000rds you are doing very well.

The short magnums are as efficient as the traditional jobs. No, they won't duplicate the .30-378 or anything larger if velocity is your only goal. I would study the loading manuals carefully before deciding. May as well get all the benefits you can when you pay your money....

Good Luck!
Old February 6, 2013, 07:22 AM   #31
Ben Towe

Quote:
Not interested in the smaller cal. at this time, pretty sold on the 300 win mag although I will consider the WSM, especially with that comment about reloading being easier.
I don't know if you've ever shot a .300 Mag before; if not, I do suggest shooting one before you purchase.

My traditional favorite rifle is the Ruger M77 but I would look hard at a Savage if buying one now. They have a reputation for being very accurate.
Old February 8, 2013, 09:50 AM   #32
Inspector3711

Quote:
Think I would be looking at a .300 WSM rather than a .300 win mag. The .300 Short ultra mag even a bit more preferred.
I thought that way for awhile but I've slowly changed my mind for one reason.

I have friends that hunt with WSM and they complain about trying to find ammo.

Another friend pointed out to me that if something goes wrong on a hunt, you can usually find .300 win mag at the closest country store. The odds of finding the shorter magnums are slim.

The old win mag has been around long enough to be fairly common and it does the job. Based on that, I'd lean towards it for hunting
Old February 8, 2013, 01:23 PM   #33
RC20

The new Hornady loads in 30-06 push it up into the low magnum range.

Target shooting you can shoot the lower loads and extend barrel life.

30-06 is the single most versatile round out there and still can do the job a 30 caliber magnum can. Certainly has done the harder job in Grizzly over the years as well. Not a first choice but fully capable.

Lot less to shoot and ammo is the most wide spread