The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 11, 2012, 06:38 AM   #26
bfskinnerpunk

I'm not quite sure what a "stack on" safe is, but I'll check into it.

Yes, I understand .... of course.... that thieves do not have to be careful and clean as they work. That is why, in my original posts here, I worry about the "ransacking" problem once they discover that this is a gun owning house.

I have a walk-out basement. If it was just a basement that was fully under the house, then I could possibly put a safe down there with very few worries about the truck-pulling-safe issues.

Those kinds of thieves are just going to get the stuff, though. Anyone that brazen, if they want to take the risk of being seen by my neighbors, are going to be difficult to defend.

Back to hiding my stuff outside, I would be AMAZED if they could find and take my stuff outdoors. Finding stuff in someone's house is downright child's play by comparison. That's why the outdoors was originally on my mind.
Old December 11, 2012, 09:18 PM   #27
rcase1234

Saw it online somewhere the other day, but believe it or not but they make big containers for storing items such as firearms underground. Wish I had the link right now but I can't think of it
Old December 11, 2012, 09:54 PM   #28
stu925

Quote:
In my opinion, a stack-on cabinet bolted in is better than a safe unbolted.
I disagree, those cabinets are no heavier than the material a standard rolling tool cabinet is made from and have a cheesy locking system. Anyone with a crowbar could get in one of those cabinets, they really were not designed to prevent theft. They will however keep little fingers away from your guns provided you keep the keys on you and that's about the only thing they will do. It would probably take all of about 3 minutes to open one of those doors with a crow bar. I have one of the stack on cabinets and I think when I upgrade to an actual safe I'll grab a crowbar and see how long that locking system lasts. I'll make sure I post the results for anyone interested.

Stu
Old December 11, 2012, 11:38 PM   #29
HKFan9

I "cracked" a Stack on Cabinet (they don't even call them safes" with nothing more than a claw hammer and a large screw driver in less than 10 minutes. Only thing I use one for is neatly storing ammo.
Old December 12, 2012, 09:19 AM   #30
Skans

If I were ever going to consider burying a gun, it would have to be something that I wouldn't cry over if the experiment went bad, like my ugly Winchester '94 made in the '70's which already has a deteriorating finish. Can't get much uglier.