The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 6, 2009, 03:01 PM   #1
Terry A

Tom Knapp

I'd like to hear some stories about Tom Knapp if you guys have any. In addition to having incredible talent, he also has a gifted personality for exhibition shooting. He speaks well, shows enthusiasm for his sport, and never seems to get tired of it all. Benelli his the jackpot with hiring him as their shooter!
Thanks.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old February 7, 2009, 12:31 PM   #2
Voyageur

I've seen him shoot on TV and I reckon exhibition shooting is good for something but I've never had to shoot 5 birds while holding my shotgun upside down.

There is a wide range of folks out there who are serious sportsmen and sportswomen. I don't mean to demean Tom Knapp but I'm more impressed with those who are not just shotgun owners nor just game killers. What I enjoy reading about are the men and women who are looking for the right balance between their personal preference in shotguns, the right load for conditions and the humane killing of the game animal (in this case the bird).

Lastly, I would hope that they would enjoy the game meat as much as I do.
Old February 7, 2009, 12:48 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...I've never had to shoot 5 birds while holding my shotgun upside down.
I'll bet you've never HAD to shoot even one bird.
Quote:
What I enjoy reading about are the men and women who are looking for the right balance between their personal preference in shotguns, the right load for conditions and the humane killing of the game animal (in this case the bird).
All of those things are good, but they are not the ONLY things that are good.
Old February 7, 2009, 01:23 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

He's an incredible talent for sure. I'd guess that the average shooter would be hard pressed to hit 2 hand thrown targets, say nothing of 10. I know nothing of the man beyond what I've seen on TV. He seems to be funny and generally entertaining. I'd like to see him in person.
Old February 7, 2009, 02:39 PM   #5
Chipperman

Quote:
He seems to be funny and generally entertaining. I'd like to see him in person.
+1

He seems to have a real "Santa Claus" grandfatherly personality.
Old February 7, 2009, 07:38 PM   #6
armabill

I saw him in person at the Ducks Unlimited Outdoor Festival in Tenn. awhile back.

If you get a chance to see him, don't miss out- awesome performance. Get a seat up close.
Old February 8, 2009, 01:52 AM   #7
Voyageur

"I'll bet you've never HAD to shoot even one bird."

I know what you mean JohnKSa (and understand the smiley)... but, oddly enough, I did HAVE to shoot birds at one time.

When I first moved to the mountains so many years ago, I had a wife and two sons. I used up most of my money buying the unfinished 'cabin' and property on a lake. No TV, no radio, no newspaper but I did have access to a telephone.

Gunmaking was not so profitable back then and we only had a small stipend to make ends meet. Needless to say, I only shot reloads in my small cache of firearms and shotgun shells were not wasted. In a handgun or rifle I only shot cast bullets cast from moulds I had bartered or traded for. A couple of deer I shot with a cap & ball pistol which was REALLY cost effective.

Grouse were taken by shotgun or a Martini Cadet using cast bullets and 7 grains of 4759. My shotgun shells were AAs I picked up/scrounged for continually. (I was always amazed at the folks that didn't police their cases.) I had a few bags of #5s that I had brought with me and they served for both Grouse and Pheasant. All in all, I'd rather shoot big Blues than Pheasant but you take what is presented to you by Providence.

Duck hunting was 'jump' hunting on the creeks within a couple of miles of my place. I had a '47 Willys and an old International wagon for travel but gas was always the problem. Most of the hunting was 'shank's mare'. I remember my first Antelope hunt (Those tags hurt) when you could shoot a number of the critters if you drew a tag. This 'offset' the gas price.

Goose hunting wasn't available right where I was but Grouse and Pheasant could be had... especially Grouse. We had a recipe for rice & Grouse that got quite a workout.

I still think 'exhibition' shooting is for others and I don't have the right to pass judgment as to 'good' or 'bad'. I'm a better than average wingshot and an old fuddy-duddy about wasting powder & ball.

I've taught Firearms Safety and nomenclature for the Hunters Ed program around here for many years. Naturally I teach 'practice' for the sake of the game animals but I am not into 'wowing' folks with fancy gun work. This is a position rarely accepted by the shooting fraternity and I see their viewpoint even if I don't agree with it.

I don't mean to offend anybody around here and hope I haven't.
Old February 8, 2009, 02:18 AM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

That's a very interesting story and helps provide perspective and context to the comments in your original post.

I've lived among subsistence hunters who only ate meat if they could hit an animal with an ancient percussion cap blackpowder firearm. I would have to agree that if you have that background then exhibition shooting would seem very wasteful and pointless.
Old February 9, 2009, 11:49 PM   #9
USA123456789

I have seen Tom in person. He is an enthusiastic person. Not only can Tom shoot the 12 gauge shotgun extremely well he is also quite talented in all other types of rifles.
Wish Tom good luck in his pursuit of sponsorship by Benelli.

Benelli makes a well priced and well assembled shotgun. The prices may be a tad to high but its a great gun.

USA USA USA USA
Old February 12, 2009, 06:28 AM   #10
LanceOregon

Those Swedish made Easy-Hit Shotgun sights that he uses in his shooting exhibitions and promotes really are outstanding sights. Far brighter fiber optics sights than any brand that I have seen or tried.

Not expensive, and quite easy to install, too.

Here is a photo of a Easy Hit sight installed on one of my shotguns:

I really cannot recommend them more highly.