The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 14, 2000, 02:31 PM   #1
Alex Johnson

Howdy guys, I got a question for you. College expenses have made it necessary to sell of one of my rifles. The one I have chosen to part with is a low serial number 1903 Springfield made by Rock Island. I don't have the rifle with me right now, as I'm away at school so I don't have the exact serial number. I do remember that the serial number placed it as being made in the first few years of production. The gun is in excellent condition with no cracks in the stock and probably 85 or 90% finish remaining. It had been one of the rifles belonging to the American Legion so the bore is pretty bad from the blanks they shot through it, but I never intended to shoot it anyway. I have no idea what to charge for this rifle, I was thinking somewhere between $350-400 range. Is that reasonable, or is it too high? Thankyou for any response.
Old April 15, 2000, 04:01 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Alex,

If it is all original, not refinished, and with the original stock finish, it could go up to $2000, although the bad barrel may knock some off that. It is a "low number" and I don't recommend firing it, but the early pre-WWI guns are bringing some nice prices.

RIA manufacture does not add any value.

I would recommend cleaning the barrel as best you can and see how bad it is.

There is a forum devoted to the '03 on www.gunandknife.com, and you might post there and see what the response is.

Jim

Old April 17, 2000, 03:40 AM   #3
radom

Check the date on the barrel, most of these have been rebuilt several times. If very early it would not have come in 30-06 but 30-03 and had the barrel set back and rechambered with a barrel date from before 1906 and worth some money. Most where rebarelled after WW-1 and restocked though. Rebuilt and with a bad bore will knock the price down a lot. I might add that it should be blued and not in park. to be origonal.

[This message has been edited by radom (edited April 17, 2000).]