The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2011, 11:48 AM   #1
tpcollins

Must I always measure the ogive?

When I first started reloading it was in .243 and I got a Davidson set to put on my calipers and I measured the ogive to the case head on everyround, plus LOA. Since then I've reloaded .40 S&W and .380 Auto and just measured LOA.

I'm going to start reloading in .204 Ruger and will be using them in the clip of my bolt action so I'll adhere to the standard maximum 2.260" LOA. Should I still get the upper Davidson .204 piece to check the ogive distance or will the 2.260" LOA take care of that? Thanks.
Old March 21, 2011, 01:49 PM   #2
NESHOOTER

If that's the standard you would like to keep? with that FINE round, once you get that .204 you'll want only the best for your moa and then your get your other set for it, is the only way to shoot that .204 you will find it to be one of your most favorite shooters.
Old March 21, 2011, 02:01 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Measuring the ogive is only needed if you are trying to keep the bullet a certain fixed distance away from the lands of the rifling. Most bullet designs have one or two such distances that produce best accuracy in any particular chamber, and if you are a maximum accuracy kind of guy, you want to find what that is and record it, then set your seater die to replicate it. You may then wind up with a round that is too long for your magazine that has to be loaded singly, but then again, you may not. You may even have a choice if there's a second seating depth sweet spot further back. Often, people report a second one near where the bullet bearing surface is seated about one caliber into the case neck.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 21, 2011, 03:35 PM   #4
wncchester

"Measuring the ogive is only needed if you are trying to keep the bullet a certain fixed distance away from the lands of the rifling."

Yeah, sure, that's true.

But if he doesn't measure off the ogive his sling swivels will rust.
Old March 21, 2011, 04:11 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

That's the rumored curse, anyway.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 21, 2011, 05:21 PM   #6
maggys drawers

That would explain why he doesn't do it for pistol rounds...
Old March 21, 2011, 10:51 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I'm going to start reloading in .204 Ruger and will be using them in the clip of my bolt action so I'll adhere to the standard maximum 2.260" LOA.
I believe you mean "magazine".
In almost no examples I am aware of, would a clip limit the overall length of a cartridge.

A clip is a device that holds a given number of rounds together, and is inserted into a magazine, or allows quick loading of a magazine. Magazines are devices that may be internal, or external to a firearm; can be detachable, or fixed; contain a spring and follower; and allow cartridges to be fed into the chamber of a firearm. Most magazines cannot use clips.

Quote:
Should I still get the upper Davidson .204 piece to check the ogive distance or will the 2.260" LOA take care of that? Thanks.
Most modern bolt rifle magazines don't allow an OAL long enough to seat close to the lands. Do some tests to see if the rifle will allow seating close to the lands, while being short enough to function in the magazine. If it will... decide at that time, if it's worth measuring from the ogive.
Old March 22, 2011, 06:58 AM   #8
jmorris

You never have to measure the ogive if you don't want to. You can find the same sweet spot changing the OAL and recording results but you have to repete for every different brand/weight of bullet.

Then again thousands of sucessfull reloaders never bother with that either for one reason or another. For example if you use an autoloader and crimp in the cannelure, just load to said OAL. Nothing special needed.