The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 14, 2000, 07:03 PM   #1
edfrompa

What is the difference between a 44 magnum load and a 44 special load?

Thanks for a reply,
ED
Old September 14, 2000, 07:42 PM   #2
Jack Straw

I don't know Ed. What is the difference between a 44magnum load and a 44 special load?......(waiting for punch line)....

Oh, you ain't telling us a joke.

The difference between a 44mag load and a 44spl load is about 20,500psi (as per Speer #13). That translates into about 400 - 600fps for a given bullet weight at maximum velocities out of a revolver.

The two are actually different cartridges. The magnum was developed by lengthening the special's case by 1/8th of an inch to prevent the new higher pressure cartridge from being fired in a gun chambered for the special (just like the .38spl and .357mag).

You might already know all this and if so, forgive me for bringing up such basics; I don't mean to insult your intelligence. It's just that from your question, it seemed as though you weren't aware of it so I just thought I would let you in on the big secret (and I just saw the chance to run off at the mouth).

I hope this answers your questions.

Jack
Old September 14, 2000, 07:50 PM   #3
edfrompa

Jack, thanks your reply, i did not know the difference. Other than the higher velocity I had no idea of the difference.
Ed
Old September 15, 2000, 01:29 AM   #4
Waterdog

Read a book

Waterdog
Old September 15, 2000, 09:54 AM   #5
Hutch

W'dog, I come from the "There ain't no such thing as a stupid question" school. What you said could be interpreted as being rather nasty.
Old September 15, 2000, 12:57 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Right you are Hutch.

So, Waterdog, if Ed and you and several of us are sitting around chatting and Ed asked the exact same question, would you say, "Read a book." and walk away. I doubt it. This is really no different from a group of folks who have similar interests sitting around the old virtual pot belly stove. Now to be perfectly honest, I have often thought the same thing, but then I remind myself of what I just said.
Old September 16, 2000, 02:19 PM   #7
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Just ask ED! There are lots of us here that are more than happy to try to answer for you either here in the forum or by e-mail!

------------------
Carlyle Hebert