The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 23, 2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Coach Z

RI ccw permit?

I currently reside in CT and have a ct carry permit as well as a few other states that offer non resident permits.

I've inquired briefly with the state about moving to ri full time and what it takes to get a carry permit and everyone I spoke to made it sound damn near impossible. Anyone have any insight about what it takes to get one or if there is a particular CLEO that is more likely to sign off.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 23, 2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Willie Sutton

Strange system in RI, two systems running in parallel actually:

Option 1: Apply thru the local Chief of Police, who may or may not issue a license depending on how he feels. In the town I used to live in, the Chief was a shooter and he issued licenses. The next town over... good luck. Best attempted in the more rural areas, not so much up near Providence etc. But here's the funny part... this procedure has been ruled as a "shall issue" procedure (see below). Go figure. If you lose at Option 1, and then lose at Option 2, you can likely sue the local PD to get a license under Option 1, and then you best move outta state becuse you'll be persona non grata in your own town, and it's a small place... trust me on that.

Option 2: Apply thru the AG's office, which can be done as a first attempt, or as a second attempt after getting noplace with the local Chief. This procedure has been legally held to be a "May Issue" procedure, relying on Option 1) to meet the states legal obligation of "shall issue".

RI is a "Hassle Included Shall Issue" state, and you do need to be able to articulate some sort of "need"... but it's not usually terribly difficult to `come up with the right words. Bottom line is that it's a bit of a hassle but not (usually) impossible.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; February 23, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old February 23, 2012, 09:30 PM   #3
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I have one (I'm a resident). It was a bear to get. It was ridiculously easy for me to get a non-resident CT permit.

If you go to CRALRI, you can go on the forums and check which municipalities are issuing. Any Chief can issue a permit to a nonresident but most will not even issue to residents. And the AG is also a pain. I suspect that there are VERY few nonresident permits. However, RI does allow you to transport through the state with your CT permit and not get hassled- well, according to state law.

This website may also help: http://www.rifol.org/pistolpermitstudy.php
Old February 24, 2012, 12:23 PM   #4
icedog88

One gun store told me it is easier to get if you own your own business and can show you carry large amounts of money in the course of your business day. I live in CT as well and asked about getting a non resident and was practically laughed out of the shop. You might try Warwick or West Warwick.
Old February 26, 2012, 12:12 AM   #5
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Quote:
was practically laughed out of the shop
Unfortunately, most of the "shop" owners in RI are a bunch of hacks. They don't know the laws any better than the cops.

That said, based on the crappiness of most of the LEO's in the state, I still suspect their are few non-resident permits out there. I would start at the AG and make a strong case for carrying lots of cash (a C&R traveling across state lines with a pocket full of hundreds may be a good justification, or a business owner).

If I were to move to RI, I would look at the link I posted previously and talk to a bunch of people on CRALRI about the easiest towns to get a permit from.

Rhode Island is a small place but with a lot of variety. If I had to pick a town, based on quality-of-living, it would be rural: Charlestown, Hopkinton, Richmond, Exeter, West Greenwich, Foster, Scituate, Glocester or Burrillville. I would avoid any other town just based on traffic and the amount of general stupidity.
Old February 26, 2012, 07:19 PM   #6
Coach Z

Thanks for the insight

Actually I'm not looking for a non resident I will be moving to RI and Connecticut will let me keep my carry permit as a non resident. I'm looking at providence in particular if that helps narrow it down at all.

Part of the reason for carrying is I'm a yacht captain and the owner is a known forbes type guy and a big shiny yacht sort of has a bullseye on it.

Last edited by Coach Z; February 26, 2012 at 07:43 PM.