The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2007, 05:45 PM   #1
LSMNTBC

Another powder ?

I know this has probably been brought up, but I couldnt find it. I' m loading for my G23 And looking for a ball type powder and came up with Ramshot ZIP or True blue. It mostly for plinking. Which one is better or cleaner. I want to avoid flake power.
Old February 19, 2007, 09:28 PM   #2
Trapper L

I'm shooting HS-6 and AA#5 in my 40SWs. Seems to work real good with all bullet weights from 135 HP Rainiers to 165 Remington Golden Sabres. I haven't loaded any bullets heavier as my requirements don't call for the need. Both of these powders are ball type and meter extremely accurate out of my RCBS Combo measure.
Old February 19, 2007, 09:57 PM   #3
LSMNTBC

Thank you! My max bullet will be the 165grn no need for anything more for plinking. Just wanted to stick with a ball powder for easy metering of powder.
Old February 21, 2007, 07:21 PM   #4
Shoney

ZIP would be the better than True Blue in 40S&W for the following reasons:

1. Zip performs very well at minimum and maximun loads, Ramshot does not list a load for TB in the 165 gr bullet
2. has a better load density than TB, thus decreasing chances of double charges
3. Zip requires a lower grain charge weight and will be more economical, especially for reduced plinking loads
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111