The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 8, 2009, 02:34 PM   #26
HiBC

Venturino has books "Shooting the Buffalo Rifle," Shooting the Black Powder Lever Action" "Shooting the Blackpowder Six Gun"

I'm sure I butchered the titles,but,close enough.Black Powder Cartridge News is a good magazine.

I advocate a drop tube and non-static equiptment.Do not load with air space in the case.if the bullet compresses the powder a small amout,1/32 or 1/16 in,that is probably good.

Do not discourage easily! For very good accuracy,you have many variables to negotiate.Weight of bullet for your twist,powder selection,primer selectionlube,bullet hardness,case mouth hardness,crimp,or no crimp,.

It's a little like learning to walleye fish,you can be 90% right and still not get results.Have fun with it!
Old February 8, 2009, 06:05 PM   #27
Clamper Ramrod

I've been using the Dillon 550B for seven years with no problem. I load pistol and rifle(different tool heads) using the plastic powder hopper. The problem with static is the dust not the powder and you need to have dust in sufficently high particle count that it's almost impossible to go boom in your loading room. Now at the dupont factory, yep did it there but I don't believe they attributed it to static, just an electric discharge.
I load the 40-65 and the 45-70 on a rockchucker with a 2 foot tube, wouldn't have it any other way.
Fannie Mostly's Gun Boy
Old February 9, 2009, 02:25 AM   #28
Smokin_Gun

Quote:
It's a little like learning to walleye fish,you can be 90% right and still not get results.Have fun with it!
As a Kid I used to Ice Fish on the St. Lawrence River with my Dad....inside Ice Shack with a 3' rectangle hole I'd see 3-4' Pike & Walleye swim by...then have to go out and deice the popup holes.
I find navigating Black powder carts, C&B cylinders, and ML rilfes much more rewarding. :O)

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php