The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 9, 2006, 02:23 PM   #1
Mike40-11

Dented 1911 cases

Have a 1911 .45 It's an AMT (yes, I know), but actually runs quite well after a little work. Hasn't had a functional problem in the last thousand or so rounds.

I do notice though, that almost (but not quite) every case popped out has a small dent in it about 1/3 of the way up from the rim. My guess is that it's walloping the case with the slide and/or barrel hood on ejection but I've never, not once, had a stovepipe. If I had a high speed video camera....

I don't have an immense amount of experience with 1911's but the recoil spring seemed pretty stiff to me and I thought that might be contributing. Replaced it (and the rest) with a Wolff kit. Standard 18 lb recoil spring. Didn't notice any difference in feel or in the case mashing.

This may or may not be a problem, but I'd rather not reload banged up cases.

Any thoughts?
Old March 9, 2006, 05:08 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

That problem can often be cured by tweaking the ejector, but I don't guarantee it. If it is any consolation, the problem has been around about forever. The military didn't care, of course, and in fact you can reload those dented cases with no problem at all.

Jim
Old March 12, 2006, 12:28 AM   #3
Scorch

The problem is a tight extractor holding on to the case as the case is ejected. You can have a smith fit it better or just live with it, it's not a problem.
Old March 12, 2006, 01:38 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

The other step taken to minimize this is cut a Goldcup style rollover relief at the back edge of the ejection port. This bevels the corner that strikes the brass. If you already have one, the extractor and fiddling with the ejector length and nose shape will both alter the rate and angle at which the case spins out of the ejection port.

Nick
Old March 18, 2006, 04:02 PM   #5
Mike40-11

Thanks all, think I'll fiddle a bit.
Old March 18, 2006, 05:41 PM   #6
MADISON

Dented 1911 cases

IF YOU RELOAD...
Run the case through the BELLING DIE.
That will take the dent out but, you may need to Crimp the case to be able to get it into the sizing die.