The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 27, 1998, 01:38 PM   #1
Mute

I've been wanting to get a customized Commander, but rather than buying a new gun I was thinking of cannabalizing all the parts from a spare Springfield 1911 I have laying around and doing the work myself. It would be a fun project and learning experience.

I'm going to the Pomona Gun show this Sat. and I'm thinking of picking up a used Commander slide and frame, unless new ones can be had for a very close price range. Any suggestions or tips in terms of what kind of price to look for and inspecting the product to make sure it's in good condition?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Mute (edited 10-27-98).]
Old October 28, 1998, 08:34 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Mute, you can get a new slide and frame for around $285. In used ones look for cracks, dings and other signs of abuse. Take a grip screw bushing to check that these holes aren't stripped. I would carry an empty mag to slide into the well and ensure the frame had not been crushed. If the ears of the frame have been radiused make sure you find out for what kind of beavertail as different brands have different radii. That's about all I can think of this early. George
Old October 28, 1998, 09:15 AM   #3
Kodiac

At the last gun show I was at I saw a guy selling an almost new Caspian slide for 75 bucks... he was desperate for cash and needed 75 more dollars than he had for a longslide he was wanting. I understand Caspian makes a pretty good unit. Others I saw were selling for about 120 bucks and all looked to be in Very Good or better condition.
Old October 28, 1998, 11:35 AM   #4
Mute

George, Kodiak,

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!