The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2002, 03:53 AM   #1
Redhook

RCBS "Precision Mic" tool?

How good is this tool?

I'm just starting to reload for my .308 and thought that this would be the best multi-tool for headspace, seat lenght, etc. So I bought one. Now, I know how to read a micrometer, but the ones I usually deal with are zero adjustable. When I thread the unit together the end of the lines on the headspace nut don't line up with the zero on the body. It's like the zero on the headspace nut is 180 degrees from where it should be which puts be either .025" above or below zero. How do I know if this is set to min ANSI standards?

When I get once fired brass in there, I'm typically .002" to .003" past the zero on the headspace nut (which as I described above is approx .025" from the zero on the body). If I measure unfired FGMM ammo it's -.003". Am I to assume that the FGMM is .003" below ANSI standard?

I hope I didn't make that too confusing. I suppose I could just take the standard deviation of +.006" from factory loaded and adjust my seating die from there.

-Red-
Old February 23, 2002, 12:56 PM   #2
swifter...

I've never had any luck with the blasted things either. I gave up and bought a Stoney Point system, which I can at least get consistant reads from, even tho they are as "relative" as the RCBS. Some guys seem to have great success with them, but I'm not one.
I suppose the important thing is to accept that the measurements have relation only to each other, and not to any "zero", or hard data number. I just couldn't bend my tiny mind that way...
Tom
Old February 23, 2002, 11:18 PM   #3
Steve in PA

I use on for my .30/06 and love it> I think it works great. I don't have mine in front of me...just moved into a house and all reloading stuff is packed away. I haven't used mine in about 6 months so i'm a little rusty on using it...but I'll try and dig it out an get back to you.
Old February 24, 2002, 01:15 PM   #4
shu

so is mine. have the 308win also.

with '0' of the circumferential scale placed on the reference line of the base piece, about halfway to the first reference mark on the baseline is visible.

gives me fits, but i just call that zero.
the measurements of case to shoulder width seem to hover around this point; a bit less for unfired, about on for fire formed.

other thing gives me fits is the overall length dummy cartridge. i had to *really* torque the set screw that spreads the nylon base, else the device would not seat on the bolt head and not eject.

a good idea and a useful tool, but for the money charged i expected a much better product.