The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 9, 2012, 12:37 PM   #1
PaseMkr

Trust and Form 1, please help me

Please help with a Form 1 for an SBR SCAR 16S

Hi all,

I am going to submit a Form 1 for my SCAR 16S to be shortened. I downloaded the form and had a couple of questions after reviewing it that I was hoping that I could get some help with. I already have an Advanced Armament M4/2000 can for it that I acquired through a Trust that i set up. On the Form 1: Section 2; Individual, Corporation or Other Business Entity, Government Entity: (Do I check Individual or Other Business Entity if I will be using a Trust?)

Section 3b; Applicant's Name and Address: (Would this be my Name or the Name of the Trust?)

Section 4b; Type of Firearm to be made: (Would Short barrel rifle/carbine be acceptable?)

Section 4e; Length inches, Of Barrel, Overall: (I am looking for recommendations of length if I chop the barrel and information on what lengths FN will offer so I can select a length that will allow me to go either way once I get my stamp, assuming that FN has barrels for sale by that time). Basically they are looking for the length of the barrel that I will be shortening it to and what the overall length of the SCAR will become after it is shortened?

Section 4h; Identify data that will appear on Firearm; (Are they looking for what will be engraved on the receiver?) What info does need to be engraved on the receiver, is it just my Name, City and State?)

Section 4i; State why I intend to make the firearm; (What would be an acceptable answer?)

Section 4j; Is the firearm being reactivated?; (Is it okay to leave blank or put Not applicable?)

Section 8; (I am assuming that If I sign section 7 that in my situation Section 8 is not applicable, but not sure since this would be a Trust).

Section 13; This is not required since a Trust is being used, correct?

Thanks so much and sorry for all the questions. I just want to do it right the first time, as the wait is so long as it is I don't want it bounced back after months of waiting requiring something to be fixed on the form.
Old April 9, 2012, 01:24 PM   #2
a.lol.cat

My answers biased on my experiences, YMMV, All of these resulted in an approved F1 last year on a trust, and are what I used for my most recently submitted F1 this year on the same trust.

Section 2 - Check Corporation or Other Business Entity when using a trust.
Section 3b - "Name of trust"
Section 4b - Short Barrel Rifle
Section 4e - Length of barrel AFTER shortening, (no advice of length from me)
Section 4f - Overall AFTER barrel shortening, with stock extended
Section 4h - I put "Name of trust city, state(2 letter state abbreviation)" There may be disagreement on this section, some say leave blank other put additional calibers in this section.
Section 4i - Any Lawful Purpose
Section 4j - Check the "No" box
Section 7 - Your signature
Section 8 - Your name as Trustee
Section 13 - Leave this blank.
Old April 9, 2012, 05:45 PM   #3
PaseMkr

A.LOL.CAT,
Thanks so very much kind sir!
Old April 22, 2012, 06:42 PM   #4
tepin

Just a follow-up on this... what should one put for barrel length if you wish to use multiple length uppers? I am guessing the shortest length on the paperwork e.g. 10" would allow me to use uppers with a length of 10" or longer?
Old April 22, 2012, 08:42 PM   #5
rjrivero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tepin
Just a follow-up on this... what should one put for barrel length if you wish to use multiple length uppers? I am guessing the shortest length on the paperwork e.g. 10" would allow me to use uppers with a length of 10" or longer?
You put the length of the upper you plan on "keeping permanently." You have no issues "temporarily" changing the length of the upper, but you should always have the ability to change it back to the configuration on your form 1. If you decide to change "permanently" you just write a letter to the ATF informing them of the change.
Old April 23, 2012, 10:27 PM   #6
tepin

thanks!
Old September 30, 2013, 06:15 PM   #7
tgreening

Back from the dead...with a purpose. I have the exact same question and I'm wondering if there are any dissenting opinions R.E. the answer a.lol.cat gave.

Also, the form mentions picture and finger prints, but I am under the assumption these are not required when applying via a trust, is this correct?

Is there any reason it's a big no-no to submit multiple Form 1s at the same time, to the tune of 3? If it's no big deal I'd rather submit all at once, and hopefully squeak through before any permanent and likely P.I.T.A changes are made to the trust requirements.

Anyhow, trust is in place, Form 1s are filled out in the areas that are not in question. All that's left is answers to the above, write the blood money check, and begin the incredibly impatient waiting game.
Old October 1, 2013, 04:09 AM   #8
Rob62

tgreening - I have never heard of it being a big deal to submit multiple form 1's simultaneously. Some people even prefer doing it that way.

Fingerprint cards and pictures are NOT required when using a Trust to purchase your items (tax stamp/s) through. (However don't forget your 922 (g) compliance statement with a form 1 - if applicable.)

http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/downl...-f-5330-20.pdf

Side note - with submitting multiple BATFE tax forms at the same time. Some people will recommend a separate $200 check for each form. Rather than have one check for $600 for three forms, I would go with three $200 checks. I put the SN of the item in the bottom notes section of each check.

Regards,

Rob
Old October 1, 2013, 06:43 PM   #9
tgreening

Thanks Rob, I appreciate the feedback. Hopefully these will go through without any hiccups.