The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2012, 12:50 AM   #1
Detachment Charlie

Sierra 250 gr JFP for a .44 Mag

I have just bought what I thought was a great deal on 250gr Sierra JFP rounds. I was planning on using A2400 as my main powder, but I'm not married to it.
PROBLEM: I can't find load data for this round in my .44 Mag Redhawk (5-1/2" barrel). Can anybody offer suggestions?
Yes, I have ordered Sierra's latest manual.
I bought the Redhawk to fire top of the chart rounds. (Why waltz when you can rock & roll?) Who knows, this old fogey may take it hawg huntin'.
Thanks for your help, gents.

The U.N. is a criminal organization.
Old March 5, 2012, 05:11 AM   #2
whitedogone

For full boat loads, you'll want some H110.
Old March 5, 2012, 11:51 AM   #3
2003flht

I load those with 22gr of Winchester 296 out of a Ruger SBH. They shoot very well....
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...Wow! What a ride!"

Give a Liberal a fish, he'll ask for seconds. Teach a Liberal to fish, he'll sign up for unemployment...
Old March 5, 2012, 04:24 PM   #4
amamnn

Hopefully you are one of us nutcases who are not affected much --or even like-- a lot of perceived recoil--that being said...................I like Lil Gun in my 44 mag. 296 was ok, but it sent burning embers off in all directions for some reason, and tended to hit me in the face with one every now and then. Lil Gun has never done that to me. The same thing happened using 296 in both my .357 mags.

I'd shot a lot of Lil Gun and the 296 only for one pound when I could not get the LG......the problem is now solved by the purchase of 8 pounds of LG.