The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 29, 2012, 01:04 AM   #1
mj246

Mosin Nagant Scope Help

So this last week I decided that I wanted to scope out my Mosin 91/30 for more/better range fun (don't hunt). I bought a BrassStacker see through mount, a couple of the heavier duty Accushot 1" rings, and an NcStar Pistolero Scope. I got everything together including a new ar500 steel plate setup as a target and went out to shoot it today at just over 100 yards.

The BrassStacker Mount and Accushot Rings worked great, not even an iota of movement from somewhere around 20 rounds of surplus ammo fired (a usual range session for me).

However, after having some trouble dialing the scope in due to no rifle vise or laser sighting tool, the front lens popped of the scope on about the 12th shot, the first one to hit the target (and pretty close to center too). Thinking it might have started out loose and I didn't check well, I screwed it back on nice and tight, but it seemed to not hold zero after that. I'm not 100% sure, but it looked to me like each shot was getting lower and lower with no scope adjustment (Note I was shooting off a rest, just not a rock solid one).

My question is should I take the scope out again and try to pin down if it is no longer keeping zero, or just try to send it in under warranty since the front lens already popped off from the recoil, which is not supposed to happen, and according to most reviews of this scope for this rifle doesn't generally?

Please don't tell me to go buy a "better" scope. I am prepared to at a later time if necessary, but for now I don't have the funds and would like to try and work it with the scope I already pay for (and otherwise I really like). I would just like some others' opinions on whether to wait and test it more, or send it in for repair/replacement after strike 1?

Edit to Add: Sorry to all for the long essay format of my question, just tried to get all the facts in
Old October 29, 2012, 01:20 AM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

That'd be a pisser.
I have a Leupold on my sporterised Mosin & it's holding up perfectly.
Sometimes you just have to spend the money.
Denis
Old October 29, 2012, 05:21 PM   #3
tobnpr

^^^
If it's not holding zero, you blew up the guts as well as the front lens.
Send it back...

Good luck with it. Some low end scopes can't deal with the recoil forces, you'll find out if this scope is up to it with the second one.
Old October 29, 2012, 05:22 PM   #4
sc928porsche

By all means, do the warrenty thing. Ive seen a lot of strange things happen on some of the most expensive scopes. I have some very expensive glass and also some inexpensive ones, most are mid range. The biggest difference I have found is in the clarity of view. Especially at the higher powers. I really dont see why you would need to put a $300 scope on a Mosin.
Old October 29, 2012, 05:39 PM   #5
tahunua001

I have no clue what POS scope I have on my mosin but at least it holds up to the recoil. some scopes are just junk that can't handle recoil. the cheapest scope I would trust on a gun that kicks like that would be a nikon prostaff.
Old October 29, 2012, 05:56 PM   #6
mj246

I guess I should have stated more clearly that I did a lot of research in the way of reading forum posts and reviews of people who put this scope on the exact same rifle I have and after many more rounds have had no trouble with keeping zero or it falling apart on them. Many even put it on Mosin 44 carbines with no problems. That's why I figured I should give the lifetime warranty a chance and see if I just got a defective piece.

Thanks to all for the advice. I think I'm gonna go ahead and attempt to get it fixed or replaced sooner rather than later. No sense putting it off. I'll take out whatever they send me back and decide if I need to save up for something a little more high end in the future.
Old October 30, 2012, 01:01 PM   #7
ELMOUSMC

Same-Same

I had a NCstar on my model 44 carbine,yours lasted 3 more shots than mine did and it puked its guts to boot
I sent it in and in less than a week I had a new scope that now has at least 500 rds under its belt and holds zero like a champ-send it in
ELMO
Old October 30, 2012, 05:22 PM   #8
mj246

Thanks ELMO, that's encouraging news. The reviews were very good for this scope/rifle combination even though it is inexpensive, so I really hope it works out. I sent the scope back to NcStar today via Fedex and will see in a week or two if the replacement holds up better than the first.