The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 24, 2013, 10:39 PM   #1
Chowder

First BP gun

Today I traded a shotgun that I wasn't too impressed with for a Uberti Colt walker. I have been wanting a BP pistol for a while and when I saw this monster I had to have it.

I knew this was a large revolver but was still surprised by the weight when I first picked it up. now I just need to find an IWB holster for it... .
Old November 24, 2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Beagle333

It is quite a beast. When I got my 1st bp revolver, it was a Walker too, and I wore that thing on my side, around the farm for over a year before I finally bought an 1860. What a difference!
Enjoy shooting the thing, it's quite a hoot!!!!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old November 24, 2013, 11:21 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Pretty good trade.
Old November 24, 2013, 11:46 PM   #4
Chowder

Quote:
Pretty good trade.
I agree, It was hard to find someone who wanted a 20g shotgun in Alaska so I jumped on this trade. I have been reading up on some of the ballistics people are getting with heavy loads in this revolver and I have to say I am impressed. I have the sudden urge to want to hunt something smallish with it. I have a lot of learning and practicing ahead of me though.
Old November 25, 2013, 04:37 PM   #5
BirchOrr

Chowder

Congrats on the "Horse Pistol"!

I have a Uberti/Colt/Walker as well. It was also the first BP pistol I ever owned. Still have it and wouldn't part with it either. I prefer the Uberti stuff. Fit and finish is the best IMHO. Fired several hundred rounds through it and still looks like new. If it weren't for a slight discoloration of the Treso (AMPCO) nipples, some might think it is unfired.

Doc, (here on this forum) made me a loading lever retainer which I LOVE! Others use electrical tape, etc.

Take good care of it and it will bring you a lifetime of enjoyment. I've taken numerous Whitetail deer with mine. Took 2 does at once with it. Shot and dropped one and the others stood there not knowing where the shot came from. I cocked the hammer and dropped the second deer.

I also wanted to see just how far out I could shoot with it. Long story short, (from a good bench rest) I shot a 6 inch group at 100 yards. About 6 inches high but still darned impressive and good accuracy for a pistol!

Load it up and burn powder. Let us all know how she shoots!

All the best,

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old November 25, 2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

Yes. Let me join the others....

....in congratulating you on your fine taste in revolvers.

You can pack a lot more powder in that pistol than you will likely need for good accuracy. I'd start with 35 grains and work up. 35 will be anemic but you will find that out on your own. Best of luck wif it.

Might be a good idea to load it heavy for about two dozen rounds. That way, there will be no question in your mind as to the emotional experience in shooting a Walker. Once you get all that behind you, you can start working up your sweet load.
Old November 25, 2013, 08:52 PM   #7
Rigmarol

Always wanted a Walker, good job getting one!!!
Now for Concealed carry, forget the IWB holster and go right to the ankle rig!! (a tall cowboy boot)
Old November 25, 2013, 09:17 PM   #8
Chowder

Quote:
Take good care of it and it will bring you a lifetime of enjoyment. I've taken numerous Whitetail deer with mine. Took 2 does at once with it. Shot and dropped one and the others stood there not knowing where the shot came from. I cocked the hammer and dropped the second deer.
That's awesome! I am a pretty good shot but so far a pretty terrible hunter. When I first held it my first thought was "I need to hunt with this". I think once I get down to Texas I will keep this on my side when hunting just in case the right situation arises where I can take a clean shot.

Quote:
You can pack a lot more powder in that pistol than you will likely need for good accuracy. I'd start with 35 grains and work up. 35 will be anemic but you will find that out on your own. Best of luck wif it.
This is one reason I really wanted a BP revolver, an introduction to working up my own loads before I get my reloading setup.

Quote:
Now for Concealed carry, forget the IWB holster and go right to the ankle rig!! (a tall cowboy boot)
I am thinking about just using it as a cane and pretending to have a limp .
Old December 7, 2013, 01:30 PM   #9
georgiacatweazle

Got my first BP revolver delivered yesterday

I ordered over thanksgiving an 1851 Pietta from Cabelas for $149, plus the free intro kit and no shipping etc. so I think a decent deal. I know I've got the most entry level pistol in the universe, but honestly, it looks COOL!
the brass is nice after I wiped it all down with a clean rag.
I bought caps, wads and Hornady .454 balls the other month in preparation for buying. got fffg last week.

One thing I was going to do was change the nipples as everyone said they aren't that great, I've seen some pics of the installed ones and they looked cheap, but after looking at was installed in my pistol, the machining (while still black) looked crisp. the front post looks brass and well machined. the grips are fairly nice medium wood and contrasts nice with the brass and black barrel. overall I'm impressed with it. and the sound of pulling the hammer, wow. sounds silly, but such a nice sound.
Old December 7, 2013, 01:51 PM   #10
Doc Hoy

GCW....

First of all... Welcome to the forum. You came to the right place.

You did make a good deal on the pistol. That is about as low as they have gone for the last probly three years. (I admit I haven't followed Cabela's sales though.)

The appearance of that revolver has sold an awful lot of them.

I recommend you shoot it with the original nipples for a bit.

I would also recommend taking the nipples out after you shoot it for cleaning. Others say that is too fastidious. But they are generally saying that in the same thread in which they are talking about bending up nipple wrench because their nipples are seized up.

Don't load it too heavy.

And by all means when you get to your sixth or seventh revolver please continue to post photos. I could look at a million pictures of the 1851 pattern Colt and when I looked at the million and first, I would still say, "Dang...That's a Purdy pistol."

Welcome to the congregation. Post often.
Old December 8, 2013, 06:53 PM   #11
DD4lifeusmc

congrats

you will find that wearing on your hip and drawing quick is not feasible.
As you know heavy and long!
Also there is no real need to load the 60 grain max. 50 to 55 should suit just fine.
for a quick non stick fix to the ramrod drop.
You can file the retainer but you'll probably still need more.
I took a thin piece of soft suede leather about 2x 2 inches then trimmed down.
One hole just big enough for the barrel.Another hole right under that (thin strip between) just big enough for the rod. Works good and looks like what they may have done way back then!!
As to the holster I can make you a simple slim jim style out of 8 oz tooling leather for around $25. Because of length will need the medium size flat rate usps box though.
Old December 8, 2013, 08:43 PM   #12
BirchOrr

First of all...

... Welcome! We always like to see someone new here.

I think DD4 might not have realized you bought a 1851 Navy brass frame, (not a Walker). You'd never get 60gr of powder in an 1851 cylinder.

Congrats on your purchase, you'll have a ton of fun with it.

I don't disagree with folks here often BUT... The FIRST thing I do with any new pistol (before I even fire it), is to change the nipples and replace with Treso/AMPCO nipples (The best there is). This way, all my pistols take the same cap (#11) and I don't waste precious "fun/range" time with pinching caps that don't fit well and avoid unnecessary frustration.

All the best and have fun!

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old December 9, 2013, 09:11 PM   #13
Chowder

Quote:
I ordered over thanksgiving an 1851 Pietta from Cabelas for $149, plus the free intro kit and no shipping etc. so I think a decent deal. I know I've got the most entry level pistol in the universe, but honestly, it looks COOL!
Awesome! My brother (Melkiper on TFL) just got a 1851 confederate I believe on the same sale with the starter kit. This of course was after I showed him my new walker haha. Unfortunately I will be separated from my walker for about 6 more weeks while I move from Alaska to Texas. The movers already have all my guns . I have not even shot it yet and I think it will not be my last BP gun.
Old December 9, 2013, 11:50 PM   #14
Tidewater_Kid

You'll have fun with that in Texas! Enjoy!

TK