The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old June 13, 2011, 10:44 AM   #101
mrbro

Quote:
SUV in Milord Conn., 70 miles from New York City
One was spotted a few days earlier in Greenwich, right on the NY state line. DEP says it the same lion. Of course, they would have continued to say these sightings were all mistaken identity if the lion wasn't killed hitch-hiking. There have been sighting and reports for years in Mass., but those are also mistaken identity. I see more wildlife in New England now then I did years ago, I have turkeys and coyotes running thru the yard and a bear in the woods across the street, I can believe there is a small populations of lions here.
Old June 13, 2011, 11:05 AM   #102
mete

There was a cat killed in NE IIRC. It had been tagged and that was 700 miles from where it had been tagged !!
Old June 13, 2011, 11:24 AM   #103
NWPilgrim

Quote:
I typoed, in Oregon we cannot hunt big cats with dogs. Since then the cougar numbers have grown like wildfire and it's to the point where the state has to hire professional hunters so they can get them out of urban areas.
Let me guess, the professional hunters are allowed to use dogs, right? I'm from Oregon and that law seemed stupid at the time. I don't know how one is supposed to hunt a predator who can easily outrun you and is a "professional" sneak itself, unless they can use bait or dogs.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old June 13, 2011, 11:48 AM   #104
Geezerbiker

You betcha, licensed professional hunters can use dogs to track down "offensive cougars" in Oregon. At the time the stupid law was passed the PETA idiots poured a lot of money in to passing the law. The used misleading footage of illegal hunting and managed to get the California style laws imported here.

As I recall we're experiencing exactly what the big game experts said would happen. Even the OR department of fish and game was against it... Now that it's law we're stuck with it and I don't see it ever being repealed.

It's like with those stupid seals in the Columbia river. It will have to get much worse before it gets better.

Tony
Old June 13, 2011, 04:37 PM   #105
bullethole1

I wouldnt kill such a beautiful animal. Im no bunny hugger. I do love hunting and I go hog hunting twice a week. I do not have any respect towards anyone that is that ignorant and cruel to shoot any type of cat! I seen 4 bobcats and 2 mountain lions this year on my fathers 913 acre ranch in atascosa county,Texas. I love those cats and their more than welcome to enjoy the outdoors at our ranch. We are even thinking of putting up high game fence around our property to keep most of the animals in the area. Cats would most likely jump across of course,but I hope they would stay in. Have a nice Day!
Old June 13, 2011, 05:28 PM   #106
Geezerbiker

If one was in your neighborhood near your children, I think you would change your tune... Big cats turning up in town causes more school lock downs than anything else around here...

Tony
Old June 14, 2011, 04:35 AM   #107
NWPilgrim

Quote:
I do not have any respect towards anyone that is that ignorant ...
I agree. Your are sorely uninformed about the damage and threat mountain lions are to livestock, wild game, and humans when they get out of balance in an area. Just because you choose not to shoot a mountain lion (but shooting a whooping crane with your .22LR was OK in a previous thread?) is no reason to dump on those who choose to help game/predator management practices.

I choose not to shoot whooping cranes, but would love to go on a LEGAL mountain lion hunt.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old June 14, 2011, 03:25 PM   #108
markj

Quote:
I do not have any respect towards anyone that is that ignorant and cruel to shoot any type of cat!
When the cat kills off the spring calves as my friend had happen to him, he lost a lot of money there. Cats eat what is easiest to catch. We shoot em here, dead. Now you may come up and trap as many as you wish and take em back to texas wit hyou, folks wont say no to that.

BTW, I just dont have no respect for folks that think they know what is best for everyone else. Last one tried to tell me how to do things on my place was run off rather rudely........
Old June 14, 2011, 11:11 PM   #109
machiasmort

I have yet to see a convincing photo. They all look altered. Mountain Lions don’t exist. I will simply dismiss all of this talk due to lack of credible evidence. Just another average house cat that got into a bag of miracle grow IMO. So do you guys believe in UFO’s here too?
Old June 14, 2011, 11:39 PM   #110
machiasmort

I owned a bunch of land in NYS. I’d see tracks that would come out circle my car and go back into my woods. I’d seen this several times. I know what cat prints are and these were the size of my hand.

NYSDEC said take a plaster cast because there’s nothing to reference the size of the tracks in photo we don’t send people out to chase house cats!

Called NYSDEC again in spring, said presence of such an animal didn’t trouble me but I wanted them to be aware, so sent photo’s of the prints (in mud this time) along w/ pics of a pile of smaller deer skulls, all in one area. Officer sited my pistol permit questioned my integrity and basically made it out that I was a nut job. I pondered calling Albany and reporting him, but bit my tongue.

In a stranger twist I was surfing HAM radio frequencies and came across a strong signal. I sat and listened, while a neighbor 2 miles away told a similar story to a third HAM ½ a World away! I keyed up and told him mine, too which he hit the ceiling! I guess the Cop pulled the same tactics with him, only he lost a few baby sheep! He was not happy and the DEC Cop was removed. However the DEC stills fails to admit there are lions in NYS!!!
Old June 15, 2011, 12:56 AM   #111
NWPilgrim

Macjiasmort, sounds like you could kill the mountain lion and since they officially DO NOT EXIST AND YOU ARE A NUT JOB they could not arrest or fine you for killing an imaginary animal. Sounds like open season on kitty to me.
- James Madison
Old June 15, 2011, 09:22 AM   #112
bullethole1

lol@ NWpilgrim
Old June 16, 2011, 12:05 PM   #113
WildBill45

In Colorado Springs, population around 350,000, Mountain Lions kill deer in people's yards, and their dogs on their back deck! I have responded to some of these calls, then we had to post Warning signs about them around the area, which was dumb, then everyone called in every dog in the bush! I had to post up at a tree in the Broadmoor area, to keep a mountain lion up that tree, in my cruiser spotlight because the kids were out trick-or-treating.

They have also been reported chasing bouncing golf balls across the Broadmoor Golf Course! They can be a pain, but in most case do not attack humans, but they do in recent times more than ever before!

This report is out of California, so my best guess is it may be softened up, but I cannot say that as fact. My own experiences in Colorado were a bit higher with at 4 that I personally remember ... not many, people are the worry in the wild, but enough to be careful in their turf!

http://www.simitrailblazers.com/arti..._HUMANS-1.html

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old June 16, 2011, 06:53 PM   #114
Hunter Customs

WildBill45,
I'm with you on the story being softened up a bit. I also don't believe the guy that wrote the story for the CA rag has all the info straight.
In one sentence he says 9 attacks resulted in 10 deaths, maybe he's using new math.
I know for a fact there was a gentleman from St Joseph MO that was killed by a mountain lion while riding his bike in CA, he was in some type of bike race if I remember right.
I don't remember the exact date but it was several years back.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old July 4, 2011, 09:09 PM   #115
ex_isp

Arizona has a very larger lion population.

http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/game_lion.shtml

Campers/hikers here DO need to carry a large
caliber, high power handgun while in the wild.

Just a few miles outside Mesa, Az, (Four Peaks),
the fish and game folks estimate an easy black bear
per square mile. Up on the rim it's a higher number.

There are many wild animal attacks (cougar and bear)
in recent years as people have moved in to what used
be wild land.

I don't go camping expecting to kill a bear or cougar,
but I DO go expecting to survive an attack if one were
to occur!

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.
Old July 4, 2011, 09:58 PM   #116
Steel Talon

Here some interesting reading from Warner Glenn probably the #1 Lion Hunter in the USA,and generational rancher.. During a lion hunt he was guiding here in SE AZ in 1996.. Warner is the first to see and photograph a Jaguar on US soil. He wrote about it and presented stunning pictures in the book EYES OF FIRE

His tracking mountain lion knowledge is amazing. He's a proponent of sport hunting lions for predator control, and protecting Jaguars.

http://swjags.wordpress.com/2007/08/17/warner-glenn-qa/

More here also

http://www.nowpublic.com/environment...-united-states

Last edited by Steel Talon; July 4, 2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old July 4, 2011, 10:47 PM   #117
jimbob86

Quote:
There's no reason to shoot a mountain lion.
Me and mine are on a mountain lion's menu. That's a reason. If a mountain lion inhabits areas me and mine frequent, he's on my list. At the very top.

Quote:
Even if it's raiding your cows for food, there are ways to stop it without killing it.
There are ways to keep the deer population down that don't involve hunting them (by man or beast), either. None are very efficient.

You obviously don't make your living in the field of animal husbandry/agriculture. How about if we take a $500-1000 out of your annual salary every week or so ...... and tell you you have to find a gubmint agent (that is none too keen on helping you- they'll tell you there are no theives in this part of the country!)) to prove that it's being taken and then another gubmint agent to catch the thief or theives, without a gun..... eventually, the gubmint agent will rely on a gun to catch the thief......

Ranchers are practical DIY guys. They have good reason to deal with threats to their livelyhood as quiclyand efficiently as possible.
Old July 5, 2011, 12:28 AM   #118
huntinaz

Quote:
I wouldnt kill such a beautiful animal. Im no bunny hugger. I do love hunting and I go hog hunting twice a week. I do not have any respect towards anyone that is that ignorant and cruel to shoot any type of cat!
So it's ok to kill hogs and deer and whatever else (apparently a whooping crane) because they aren't as "beautiful" as kitties? So people who kill cats are ignorant because they don't think cats are a "purty" as you do? I think you better look up what ignorant means, buddy.

Quote:
I seen 4 bobcats and 2 mountain lions this year on my fathers 913 acre ranch in atascosa county,Texas.
If you're going to lecture about ignorance, try and use correct punctuation and grammar.
Old July 5, 2011, 08:34 AM   #119
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Ignorant = not knowledgeable. I'm ignorant about astro-physics, which is why I don't run my mouth on that subject.

Some are ignorant about the interactions of predatory wildlife and domestic livestock.

Enough for this go-round about Big Kitty.
Closed Thread