The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 1, 2010, 11:55 AM   #1
Jhedges

Best brand Slug for Smooth bore shotgun

Looking for the best slug to shoot out of a smooth bore benelli super black eagle?
Old November 1, 2010, 12:27 PM   #2
idek

"Best" probably varies from gun to gun. That being said, Remington, Winchester, and Federal will all have some similar Foster slugs. Brenneke has some varieties of slugs that might penetrate better due to their heavier weight and solid design.

ETA: I read once that Winchester, Remington, and Federal foster slugs had slightly different diameters, and because of that, people found different brands worked better with different chokes. While IC is generally recommended for slugs, some slugs actually worked better with MOD or even FULL chokes for some people.

Last edited by idek; November 1, 2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old November 1, 2010, 12:52 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Give the winchester super x a try... it is the lowest priced slug with a brandname in my area...

I am happy as a hog in slop out to 65-80 yards off hand from an 18 inch cylinder bore 20 gauge as well as a 12 gauge with 28 inch with Mod choke... 'cept I wouldn't think twice stretching the shot to a hunert yards or so with the longer barrel.

Brent
Old November 1, 2010, 01:58 PM   #4
Rampant_Colt

there is no one "best"

Best is a subjective matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhedges
Looking for the best slug to shoot out of a smooth bore benelli super black eagle?
What are ya shootin?

Brenneke slugs are best in my opinion
Old November 1, 2010, 03:21 PM   #5
NWPilgrim

I tested the cheaper offerings of foster slugs from Remington (Slugger), Winchester (Super-X) and Federal (Classic).

I found Remingtons were much more accurate at 50 yds. About 4-5 inches offhand compared to Win and Fed at more like 8". Later I read on their website that the Remington slugs have a concave base made to help seal against the bore better.

I was shooting through a Remington 870 18" smoothbore improved cylinder.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old November 1, 2010, 05:05 PM   #6
jmortimer

For deer not so critical - the "best slugs" are Dixie IXL-DGS and the next best is the Brenneke Black Magic for Smoothbores. Note - you must have at least a .730 open choke diameter to shoot the Dixie Dangerous Game Slug as it is hard cast and is .730 in diameter.
Old November 1, 2010, 06:00 PM   #7
Jhedges

I havent been shooting any slugs at all, it was just a bird gun for the longest time and i've been toying with the idea of slug huntin with it. I ordered and put the Steady grip and was looking at gettin a B-square mount on it and throwing either a red dot or a fixed power scope just to have something to go along with my Remmy 700 .308 for deer hunting. just need some ideas of where to start when it comes with slugs, chokes, ect.
Old November 1, 2010, 10:16 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

There's no ineffective 12 gauge slugs. Try different ones to see what your shotgun "Likes". Once you have a tight grouper, buy lots of that.

See what your shotgun will do as is. Where I hunt, a 50 yard shot is long. A plain bead,once some practice happens, is good out that far.

Usually, open chokes are better with slugs. Here. slug guns wear rifled tubes, or no choke at all,or a skeet choke. All perform well with my slug of choice.
Old November 1, 2010, 11:16 PM   #9
jrothWA

Try shooting the Brenneke slugs, they are

a unitized lead slug and wad. Giving a better and heavier projectils than the Foster slug.
Old November 2, 2010, 12:59 AM   #10
Irish B

I love Federal 3" rifled slugs.
Old November 2, 2010, 08:25 AM   #11
Jhedges

So i should start shootin the rifled slugs out of improved cylinder chokes not full or modified?
Old November 2, 2010, 09:11 AM   #12
zippy13

Quote:
Try shooting the Brenneke slugs, they are a unitized lead slug and wad. Giving a better and heavier projectils than the Foster slug.
Try shooting the Foster slugs, with their hollow base and lighter projectiles they may have a higher velocity, and with their center of mass forward of their center of drag they are inherently more accurate than the older Brenneke design.
You need to try them all to see which one performs best in your gun.
Old November 2, 2010, 11:07 AM   #13
DPris
Member Emeritus

I've shot a bunch of slugs through a bunch of guns over the years & never found the Foster types to be more accurate than the Brennekes, across the board.
This summer I've worked with 9 so far, two more on the way.

IC or Modified would be more advisable than Full.

Denis
Old November 2, 2010, 12:17 PM   #14
idek

Yes, IC is generally the recommended choke for slugs.

Like DPris, I have not found foster slugs to be more accurate than Brennekes. However, there are at least 5 varieties of Brenneke slugs for smoothbore 12 gauges and some are probably more accurate than others.

As Zippy says though, most foster slugs are faster than most Brenneke slugs, and trajectory will be slightly flatter.
Old November 3, 2010, 11:14 PM   #15
Rampant_Colt

Quote:

...just to have something to go along with my Remmy 700 .308 for deer hunting
For deer any Foster-style slug from R-P, W-W or Federal will be fine for shots within typical shotgun hunting distances. Brenneke slugs feaure better sectional density and deeper penetration compared to hollow-base Foster slugs. 3" magnum slugs typically have higher velocity and recoil is pretty s t o u t‼

Buy a five-round box of 2-3/4" from each mentioned above and see which one shoots best; ie, most accurate from your shotgun. If you're feeling up to it, buy a couple of boxes of 3" magnums for accuracy comparison and report back to us
Old November 4, 2010, 05:56 PM   #16
zippy13

Quote:
So i should start shootin the rifled slugs out of improved cylinder chokes not full or modified?
Yes, by all means start you slug testing with an open bore (cyl., skeet, or imp. cyl.) not full nor modified. Slugs are't really "rifled" -- they have ribs, straight or pitched, that reduce barrel friction and aid compressive deformation at the muzzle.

What no one has mentioned thus far: What is your indented shooting environment? I assume you're going with slugs because rifles aren't allowed. To me, it usually means areas where dense concealment causes a safety concern with the increased range of a rifle -- but, this isn't always the case. Are you shooting near home, or is this going to be a new area for you? If a new area, may I recommend seeking the advice of locals. Contact a LGS or guide, in the area, and ask what are the more popular smooth bore slugs. There's no use busting your hump to get your shotgun to slug-drive tacks at 100-yards if the local environment presents 40-yard maximum shots.
Old November 5, 2010, 11:19 AM   #17
Miata Mike

I use an older Remington 870 Wingmaster with a factory short smooth slug barrel of the same vintage. I think the scope is a 4X. I do quite well at 50 yards with the cheapest 2.75" Winchester Super X slugs. I have no shots in my woods over 80 yards and almost all are way closer.