The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 25, 2010, 07:32 PM   #1
Boondoggie

Benelli M4 magazine extension tube

Just purchased an M4 and I am looking for recommendations for the +2 magazine extension. I would love to get a factory Benelli item, but at the prices that these command (come on guys, it’s a frigging steel tube after all) is it really worth $280+?

Tac Star
KZ
SRM
Nordic
DMW

And a host of others from just a quick search, but I am looking for real world feed back on what works and what doesn’t.
Old March 25, 2010, 07:37 PM   #2
vitesse9

remember that you have to be 18 U.S.C. s. 922(r) compliant if you are going to increase the mag capacity to 5+.
Old March 26, 2010, 11:14 AM   #3
BigJimP

You paid your money for a good gun ( the M-4 isn't cheap ) ...but why whine about the price of a $300 mag extension when you probably paid at least
$1,500 for the gun already ??

The last I heard Benelli could not provide the mag extensions on the guns because of some legal technicality ...but your dealer should be able to answer those questions - and the previous poster mentioned a code you have to comply with / so maybe that's the answer..

Why do you need a mag extension anyway ...isn't 5 enough ( or are the zombies out of control in your neighborhood ) ??

I bought a "25 round drum mag" - for my 1911 in .45 acp ...just for giggles ...but my 8 round wilson mags are what I really carry in the gun ...
If the mag extension is just for fun / go for it ... and everybody should buy what they want ... I just don't get it ...
Old March 26, 2010, 11:44 AM   #4
greyson97

I got a 1 piece 7 round parkerized titanium tube, that matches the finish of the gun exactly. I got it for $200. after all the money you spent on the m4, the $50 extenders are ugly and not worthy to be put on

I almost forgot to post the link
http://shop.carriercomp.com/category.sc?categoryId=4

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old March 26, 2010, 11:47 AM   #5
greyson97

the tube works flawlessly, but when it was new with the new spring, the 7th round was hard to get in at first

Old March 26, 2010, 11:56 AM   #6
BigJimP

What about this 18 USC issue Greyson ??

I did a search on the issue ( and got bored reading it / since its not something I'm into ...) - but from your perspective, is it an issue ??
Old March 26, 2010, 12:00 PM   #7
greyson97

the tube is made in the US. its not imported

Old March 26, 2010, 12:17 PM   #8
p99guy

ah to think we have our own gun industry to blame for that U.S. parts compliance b.S.....it protects our gun industry and commerce, and yes somehow i'm sure its for the children as well. If gun industry lobbiests actually want more commerce regulation, by golly Uncle Sam is more than glad to help them out, (like asking the devil for help) but only as far as it concerns just what citizens can have.(Uncle Sam don't hold itself to parts counts)
In the end the shooting public is left with rediculess parts counts and barrel bans....it has nothing to do with crime control, just wishes of private companies with lobbiests (it chaps my hyde)

Last edited by p99guy; March 26, 2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old March 27, 2010, 10:21 AM   #9
vitesse9

18 U.S.C. 922(r)

http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/922r.html

Haven't read it carefully to ensure accuracy. But the basic gist is that a Benelli is a foreign made shotgun. Extending mag capacity might be illegal unless the gun has enough U.S. made replacement parts.
Old March 27, 2010, 01:51 PM   #10
glazer1972

Any Imported Shotgun can not have more than 10 imported parts from the List if it holds more than 5 rounds.
Old March 27, 2010, 03:21 PM   #11
vitesse9

Buy American

My Mossberg holds 8 rounds in the tube. No 922(r) problems for me.
Old March 27, 2010, 08:03 PM   #12
colostomyclown

buy american.
Old November 3, 2010, 01:41 PM   #13
Airborne Falcon

To clarify the whole "18 U.S.C. s. 922(r) compliant" thing:

The BATF states that adding a mag extension or working telestock to a Benelli M4 shotgun is illegal due to 922(r). Neither are we supposed to add working telescoping stocks. But Vang Comp, Sure Cycle, and SRM, all manufacture US made mag followers, and other parts, that you might use to bring it into compliance once you add the mag extension.

Where there is a will there is a way .... even with the working telescoping stock I am not sure you couldn't apply for a SBR license and cover yourself in that regard as well?