The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 18, 2008, 07:39 AM   #1
CiscoKid

FNP-40 Duty Holster

I am an officer in a department that does not issue duty weapons but requires that we purchase our own...have carried a Glock 23 from day one but am thinking of switching to the FN FNP-40, the only issue is finding a duty holster to work with it...any ideas?
Old March 18, 2008, 08:18 AM   #2
ChicagoTex

Unfortunately the FNP series of pistols is too new, underpublicized, and foreign to have yet been adopted by any of the major factory duty holster manufacturers (I checked Safariland, Galco, Bianchi, Uncle Mike's and Don Hume none of which offer duty rigs for the FNP).

You could always wait and hope one of the above manufacturers eventually does begin producing a duty rig for the FNP but be aware it could be a long, perhaps indefinete wait as typically those holsters are only manufactured in response to widespread adoption of the pistol itself (which is something I don't really see happening for the FNP).

The only obvious alternatives then are to compromise with a standard casual carry/concealment rig (which I highly, HIGHLY recommend against, and your department may prohibit entirely), stick with your G23, or buy something else like a SIG P226.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. An unfortunate fact of policework is you rarely end up actually carrying what you'd like to be carrying (back when I was on the job, I was stuck with a Glock 22 for a year and a half until I got a good deal on a Beretta 92FS. All the while really wishing I could carry my CZ 75).
Old March 18, 2008, 05:17 PM   #3
mbott

Safariland does make a 6280/6285 holster that will fit the FNP-9. The center code for this holster is 260. I'd be curious to know if the FNP-40 is similar enough to work with this 6280 holster. If Safariland can't confirm fit, a call to FN customer service should be able to tell you the significant dimensional differences between the FNP-9 and the FNP-40.

Give'em a call.

--
Mike
Old March 18, 2008, 05:55 PM   #4
ChicagoTex

Mike,

Great catch! I have no idea how I missed that in spite of the fact that I went to the Safariland site

the FNP 9 and 40 are close enough to use the same holster, the .45 is not (just like with Glock).

EDIT: just figured out how I missed it, if you use the "Will Fit" wizard it takes you right to those rigs, but if you are obtuse like me and look at the model sheets instead of using the Will Fit wizard the FNP isn't listed (the five-seven is though). Makes me wonder how exactly you go about ordering one...
Old April 12, 2008, 12:32 PM   #5
gmoney

Safariland even has a new holster for the FNP45 now, the concealment 6287 model.
Old April 13, 2008, 08:05 PM   #6
old_ironsights

Old April 13, 2008, 08:21 PM   #7
old_ironsights

Old April 13, 2008, 09:27 PM   #8
ChicagoTex

while I applaud your ability to find alternate holsters that seem to fit pretty well, neither of those are duty holsters by a long shot, which is what the OP is looking for.
Old April 14, 2008, 10:00 PM   #9
old_ironsights

My point, Tex, was that there are holsters for other weapons that can be considered with the FNP. That was obviously a bit too subtle for you.
Old April 14, 2008, 10:17 PM   #10
ChicagoTex

so it was.